Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Epson 5700i Drivers For X

Epson 5700i Drivers For X
iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2002, 05:04 PM

can anybody get it working under os x?

maximawoo
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2002, 09:08 PM

Are there drivers out there for the Epson 5700i? I always thought that Epson never released them and I recall that someone from somewhere emailed Epson and got a negative response.

I have tried messing around with the new CUPS functionality in Jaguar but had no success.

iRebound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2002, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by maximawoo:
Are there drivers out there for the Epson 5700i? I always thought that Epson never released them and I recall that someone from somewhere emailed Epson and got a negative response.

I have tried messing around with the new CUPS functionality in Jaguar but had no success.
no, i can't find any Epson 5700i drivers for OS X. CUPS doesn't seem to work on it either. bummer

scdean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2002, 08:18 PM

This link was posted on macnn a couple of days ago (Sept 7th?) I haven't tried it myself but the macnn reader claims it works with the 5700.

Let us know if it works.

scdean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2002, 08:19 PM

rosssanford
Sep 11, 2002, 09:11 PM

Has any one got these drivers to work? I still cannot get Print Center to recognize the drivers. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Player9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2002, 02:31 PM

I did some research into this and this is what I found out...

GIMP: They won't port a driver for this printer cause it would take too much time to do since the printer is not postscript.

French 5800 Driver will not work with this printer I think. I tried it and could not get it to work. The good thing is that the Epson Utilities have been ported so it is one step closer to working.

The 5700i works under LINUX if you set up Foomatic with the correct PDD file. I tried to do this on OSX but could not figure out how to install the cupsomatic script. Foomatic's instructions assume you are running LINUX and have CUPS and Ghostscript installed already. We probably need to wait for someone to port FOOMATIC to MACOS X and then we could add the EPSON PDD file for this. You are able to add the PDD CUPSOMATIC file now and get Print Center to detect it and associate it with the 5700i now, but since FOOMATIC is not included with OSX, it is missing the translation layer that needs to take place for CUPS to print.

I found the following websites useful:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic.html
http://www.linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html

I also found this site helpful:
http://www.danka.de/apple-cups-en/

Forum Links
Forum Rules