Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is this a good deal?

Is this a good deal?
g4baker
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2004, 11:37 PM

I've been offered a PowerBook G3 400 MHz with 384 MB RAM, 10 GB HD, DVD, 14.1 inch screen (Pismo), etc. for my Compaq Presario 2190US 2.4 GHz Celeron, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HD, 15-inch screen, etc. A few questions:

-Is this trade worth it? He's including Panther and some other good software....but is this going to be anywhere in comparison speed wise to my current Compaq?

-Will this thing run VPC at all? I kind of need it...but if it doesn't, that's fine...

-What would you do, overall?

ANY ADVICE is welcome. PLEASE!

Thank you,

Aaron Baker
( Last edited by g4baker; Feb 19, 2004 at 12:17 AM. )
Aaron Baker
Seburn Marketing Solutions
acebake[at]charter.net

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2004, 11:44 PM

huge mistake. nowhere near the same computing power. virtual pc will not run on a G3 - or not so where you'd want it...

g4baker  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 12:19 AM

Thank you for writing. Any other suggestions?
Aaron Baker
acebake[at]charter.net

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2004, 01:35 AM

it might be a good deal if you get about $500 in cash along with the pismo. the celeron isn't a speed demon, but its a hell of a lot faster than a G3 400.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2004, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by EdipisReks:
it might be a good deal if you get about $500 in cash along with the pismo.
ah, I wouldn't even take $500 and a pismo for that. Even though it's a wintel machine, I'd still keep it.

You can't really do anything with a Pismo 400 on Panther (No Quartz Extreme) and 10 gig of HD space doesn't really hold a lot of stuff. My music collection alone is more than that.

And VPC? Forget about it. It's gonna be too slow to run anything.

If you really want a mac laptop. I'd consider saving up and getting an iBook or something.

Dr.Michael
Feb 19, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by g4baker:
I've been offered a PowerBook G3 400 MHz with 384 MB RAM, 10 GB HD, DVD, 14.1 inch screen (Pismo), etc. for my Compaq Presario 2190US 2.4 GHz Celeron, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HD, 15-inch screen, etc. A few questions:

-Is this trade worth it? He's including Panther and some other good software....but is this going to be anywhere in comparison speed wise to my current Compaq?

-Will this thing run VPC at all? I kind of need it...but if it doesn't, that's fine...

-What would you do, overall?

ANY ADVICE is welcome. PLEASE!

Thank you,

Aaron Baker
Whoever submitted this offer to you is definitely not your friend :o)

g4baker  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 08:11 PM

Thank you--please keep the advice coming! What if I was to bump it to 1 GB RAM?

Aaron
Aaron Baker
acebake[at]charter.net

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2004, 01:06 AM

Come on Aaron, a gig (or two even) isn't going to help that dog of a machine. By the time you get done upgrading everything you can on the Pismo you still ain't gonna have 1/2 the machine you have now. You essentially have a 386 processor there, running at about 1/5 of the clock speed of your Windows machine. Sell the windows machine on eBay and then take the bucks and, perhaps a bit more, and buy a G4 12".

I'm finding it hard to believe you would even entertain such a swap. What's motivating you?

g4baker  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 05:12 PM

It's a Mac, and it's the only offer I've recieved. Thank you for your suggestion.
Aaron Baker
acebake[at]charter.net

velodev
Senior User
Feb 20, 2004, 05:34 PM

Aaron,

Here's one way to look at it. Currently, Apple is creating G5 based machines. Powerbooks and iBooks are still on G4 however there's a good amount of speculation that Pb's will be bumped to G5's. Your offer will soon be crazy outdated.

That laptop was basically made in 2000. Now, Apple's computer can last a lot longer than PC's but that just isn't worth it. What was the price of the Celeron when you purchased it?

If you really want an Apple bad, I heard this is on sale:

iBook 800MHz/128MB/30GB/CD-ROM/Ether/56K/12"TFT - Refurbished
Add
$749.00

This comes with a 1 year warranty and the ability for AppleCare. Put your Celeron on eBay and subsidize a iBook purchase.

If this is your first Apple (or first in a while)... welcome, you are about to enjoy computers in a whole new light.

Forum Links
Forum Rules