Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X into Hal 9000

OS X into Hal 9000
srfdriver22
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2005, 02:18 AM

I found a topic here: http://www.applefritter.com/node/6722, but no resolution besides writing AS.

Is there any way to do this? What I had in mind is the replace the boot image (can be done with BootX I think it's called) but have it speak "Good morning, Dave." Then with the iSight mic, I would speak commands and it would do whatever matched the command as long as it begins with "Hal." So if I said, "Hal, load Safari." It would say something like, "Certainly, Dave." and Safari would pop up.

I wasn't able to find anything in google about this, but maybe someone knows how to do this with either AS or something else? I don't mind writing the AS (haven't done much with it though) but I'd be surprised if I were the only one (besides the other thread) who haven't tried this.

Super Mario
Jul 13, 2005, 05:36 AM

IS your name Dave?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by srfdriver22
I found a topic here: http://www.applefritter.com/node/6722, but no resolution besides writing AS.

Is there any way to do this? What I had in mind is the replace the boot image (can be done with BootX I think it's called) but have it speak "Good morning, Dave." Then with the iSight mic, I would speak commands and it would do whatever matched the command as long as it begins with "Hal." So if I said, "Hal, load Safari." It would say something like, "Certainly, Dave." and Safari would pop up.

I wasn't able to find anything in google about this, but maybe someone knows how to do this with either AS or something else? I don't mind writing the AS (haven't done much with it though) but I'd be surprised if I were the only one (besides the other thread) who haven't tried this.

Applescript can do it, look for the speakable items scripts.

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2005, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
IS your name Dave?
No, but I can't mimic his voice to say mine so it's the best I can get.

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
Applescript can do it, look for the speakable items scripts.
Will do, thanks.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
IS your name Dave?
Heh,

I had a chemistry professor whose first name was David, and he used a Macintosh in his office. Apparently, one of the other professors went in to his office and changed the system sound (ah, good old System 7.1) to a clip of HAL saying, "Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"

Now, Dr. H had NO clue about computers, so the first time he did something that would have caused an error beep, it talked to him. He went down the hall with a spooked look on his face, and asked the other professor, "How did the computer know my name??"

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 04:44 PM

My mind is going.......I can feel it.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2005, 04:35 PM

You can probably use AppleScript to create routines that will open the right apps and say a sound file with the appropriate message. I suppose you can extract more lines from the DVD if needed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules