Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you find a $1 coin useful?

View Poll Results: Do you find a $1 coin useful?
Poll Options:
Yes, I love the idea! 54 votes (44.63%)
No, I don't like the clangin in my pocket. 43 votes (35.54%)
Why use cash? I like to use my debit/credit card. 24 votes (19.83%)
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll
Do you find a $1 coin useful? (Page 4)
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2007, 09:18 PM

wha? no man purse for you? it worked for Jerry .... sorta

on topic:
no one has brought up this, if someplace charged .99 for something and you give them a dollar coin (and this is if the penny is gone) how would they give you change back? no more 99¢ stores, no more $1.99 ect meals, no more lots of stuff. with the penny gone, you could actual have to spend more than you do now for certain stuff

-a

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2007, 09:35 PM

I think they need to do away with the penny. You can't buy anything with them.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2007, 09:38 PM

Sure you can. You just need more than one. On the other hand, you'd lose money everytime you bought something that costs 81¢ if we didn't have pennies.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2007, 10:40 AM

Doing away with the Penny would result in sales tax being all messed up. I'm not a huge fan of sales tax, but I'd rather owe pennies on the dollar, rather than nickles or dimes.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
Doing away with the Penny would result in sales tax being all messed up. I'm not a huge fan of sales tax, but I'd rather owe pennies on the dollar, rather than nickles or dimes.
Not really, you would simply round to the nearest 5¢ increment. We are already doing that with the penny (example $15.99 sale with 4% sales tax is $16.6296)

If you purchased 5 items... it would still calculate using the penny, but would round to the nearest 5¢.

The penny would still "exist" but the calculations would round the final number to the nearest 5¢ increment.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
Not really, you would simply round to the nearest 5¢ increment. We are already doing that with the penny (example $15.99 sale with 4% sales tax is $16.6296)

If you purchased 5 items... it would still calculate using the penny, but would round to the nearest 5¢.

The penny would still "exist" but the calculations would round the final number to the nearest 5¢ increment.
Which is kind of silly. All I see that doing is speeding up inflation. Now instead of paying $16.63, you're paying $16.65. Again I say that removing the penny will simply devalue the nickel, and it will become the new penny.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 01:05 PM

How the hell did people survive back when staying in a hotel in New York cost 25¢? (I swear I heard that somewhere when I was a kid)

What would that make a penny worth now?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
Which is kind of silly. All I see that doing is speeding up inflation. Now instead of paying $16.63, you're paying $16.65. Again I say that removing the penny will simply devalue the nickel, and it will become the new penny.
On the flip side, instead of paying 16.67, you would pay 16.65.

I'm sure with big companies with millions of transactions a day it could cause problems, but for most people, they wouldn't probably notice the 7¢ plus or minus per day.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
On the flip side, instead of paying 16.67, you would pay 16.65.

I'm sure with big companies with millions of transactions a day it could cause problems, but for most people, they wouldn't probably notice the 7¢ plus or minus per day.
If they always rounded up to the nearest nickel, the extra income from all those transactions could offset our deficit and raise the value of the dollar. It wouldn't sound as bad as a "variable tax increase."

I would imagine there are billions (if not trillions) of transactions every day in America. That would be a LOT of money.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 02:30 PM

It is easier to spend when you have only coins in your pocket. After a while it feels like they are like quarters. I used to think twice before I would reach for a paper currency, now I do not even think about it.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 03:44 PM

It's great when traveling to where they take the Euro or British currency. They have coins worth something that are actually accepted most places.

After a trip to Paris, I had something like $30+ in coins!

Forum Links
Forum Rules