Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook stuck on gray start up screen but will boot into xp...

macbook stuck on gray start up screen but will boot into xp...
action
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2007, 01:06 AM

hi gang,

i have a c2d 2.16 white macbook with 2 gb ram running 10.4.10 with an xp partion via bootcamp.

i can boot into xp via holding down the option key but when i try and boot into osx it just hangs on the gray start up screen and the little circle just spins.

i have been going back and forth from xp to osx with no issues since june. this time however, when i chose the mac partion under xp as my start up it got stuck on the gray start up screen after restart.

i have tried resetting pram, pmu and repairing the disc by connecting it to my g5 and running disc utility to repair. after running the repair i have no errors.

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cl

Cold Warrior
Sep 18, 2007, 09:38 AM

Boot from your macbook's restore/system disc and run an archive-install.

Or try selecting the current OS X system, then hold down the shift key to attempt booting into OS X's 'safe' mode.

action  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2007, 12:43 PM

ok,

with the macbook in target disk mode i tried using tech too pro to repair the structures, files, etc... and would still not boot.

would boot into safe mode.

tried disk utilities via booting off the system discs and that did not fix the problem.

finally did an archive install and that fixed the problem. when finished i just deleted the old system folder and everything is as it should be.

thanks cold warrior.

cl

action  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2007, 04:29 PM

meant to say it would not boot into safe mode...

Cold Warrior
Sep 18, 2007, 05:01 PM

Glad it worked!

Forum Links
Forum Rules