Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I couldn't register my new computer?!

I couldn't register my new computer?!
Gito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2008, 11:43 AM

Hello, As you may know apple has the option online to register any product you purchased, either online or at any apple store. So I did, I tried to register my new computer(iMac 3.0Gghz) online and the funny thing is that I get a message that it says that my serial number can not be recognized?! I also typed the product code and nothing, So I called the 1800 # and the guy told me a very stupid suggestion;" Sir, it may been that there were too many people trying to register their products at once" when I've had tried numerous times before and nothing, so he end up registering it for me, I was left out with a very odd feeling, why I can't register my new computer online??? I did fine a week ago when I register my other iMac and it worked!! Although I end up returning it because the new one came out not even within a week having the other one, so Apple had me ship it back and I that's when I went and bought the latest one at the mall. Just thought I post this and see what's your opinion.

Cold Warrior
May 21, 2008, 11:49 AM

Maybe their registration server was down. I've never had issues registering my Macs.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2008, 02:22 PM

maybe there were too many people trying to register at the same time.

why don't you believe him?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 22, 2008, 03:41 AM

Two more possibilities:

1. Serial number mis-typed. If you're looking at the serial number at the bottom of the iMac leg, the printing can be hard to read. B's look like 8's and 5's like S's, etc. Try the label on the box, or better yet, go to the menu bar, click the Apple logo, choose "About This Mac", and when the info box comes up, click on the version number twice (under Mac OS X).

2. Serial number not in the database. This has happened to me a few times... of thousands of machines i've looked up, probably three have had this issue. You basically need to call and they need to manually add it in. Again, this is rare, but it can happen.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2008, 04:42 AM

I just tried this yesterday. There's an option to override the verification after you enter in the product code.

Gito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2008, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
maybe there were too many people trying to register at the same time.

why don't you believe him?
Well because I had just tried several times during the course of 2 or 4 days prior calling them. So I highly doubt there were thousands or even hundreds of new computers being register at the same time, but I guess it could be possible...

Gito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2008, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
Two more possibilities:

1. Serial number mis-typed. If you're looking at the serial number at the bottom of the iMac leg, the printing can be hard to read. B's look like 8's and 5's like S's, etc. Try the label on the box, or better yet, go to the menu bar, click the Apple logo, choose "About This Mac", and when the info box comes up, click on the version number twice (under Mac OS X).

2. Serial number not in the database. This has happened to me a few times... of thousands of machines i've looked up, probably three have had this issue. You basically need to call and they need to manually add it in. Again, this is rare, but it can happen.
Hey thanks for these tips! I've owned several macs and yes this is the first time for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules