Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMacs(new) likely for "Black Friday" specials? Where to position for such?

iMacs(new) likely for "Black Friday" specials? Where to position for such?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2009, 02:58 PM

After 25 Mac years, I've never before been in market for new machine at this time of year - and I read people "waiting for 'Black Friday' " ...

Are popular items such as iMac (esp. when so recently upgraded) like to be have any significant special (or do they just offer something like "Kensington security cable included free")?

Do I need to get up *way* early and drive 60 miles to nearest Apple store? Or will any Apple specials be just as available on-line?

Any other sources I should scan for specials that would include an iMac? (MacMall / MacConn/ Small Dog, etc.)

[I've got a $2000 budget - and need to cover a UPS supply + some software as well as the 27".]
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2009, 04:39 PM

I'd expect a third party to have the best deals, but I doubt they'll be that good on a shiny new product.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2009, 11:55 PM

Apple specials should actually be *more* available online. Some Apple retail stores apparently don't do them. In past years, the lower end iMacs have been $100 off at Apple and more off for the higher end ones .... so glad to see you're looking at the 27", it'll have the biggest discount. 3rd party retailer differences will be similar but the big bonus with them is no sales tax.

I'm guessing you can get the core i5 + your UPS and software.
( Last edited by Krusty; Nov 24, 2009 at 12:31 AM. )

EndlessMac
Senior User
Nov 24, 2009, 03:25 AM

You should find discounts online also considering there aren't that many Apple stores. There is only one store in my whole county and my county isn't that small.

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2009, 08:53 AM

My own news on this: macrumors reported (on Nov 23) supposed "email leak" of Apple Black Friday sale, including $101 off on iMacs. Whatever. ("leaks")
But the discussion did link to "past years' Apple Black Friday sales" suggesting such 1-day discounts are possible:
Black Friday - Mac Guides
[fyi]
[Though it looks like it essentially just gives everybody an Education discount. Silly me was wishing the Education Discount would also drop. Guess I'll be up & online *early* Friday.]
If I score such I'll let you know.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Nov 24, 2009, 04:11 PM

Apple is usually pretty modest when it comes to sales and discounts. On Black Friday you should check other sites too before you make the final purchase.

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Apple is usually pretty modest when it comes to sales and discounts. On Black Friday you should check other sites too before you make the final purchase.
Yes. Point well-taken. I noticed for example that MacConnection can get me $150 off the usual iMac 17 core i5 ... *if* I'm willing to bite of the (PITA) $100 rebate:
Mac Connection - iMac 27" 2.66GHz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM 1TB HD SuperDrive ATI Radeon HD 4850 AP BT

Similarly, the MacMall (again: suffer/risk the $100 rebate process) will also throw in Parallels (~$79 'value'?):
MacMall.com - iMac

Clearly, just going by $ I'll probably do better at one of those large online outfits. OTOH, my trust level is tested by inserting the middle men and the rebate process (vs. $100 off at the Apple Education store).

Wonder what will seem most tempting at 2am on Friday?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Nov 24, 2009, 05:02 PM

I hate mail in rebates and try to avoid them whenever I can. I would rather take the instant discounts even if the discount is less. There are a lot of stores out there so it's still worth the time and effort to keep looking but if you end up buying from Apple then so be it. You might want to do a combination of in store and online stores but it's up to you in how much effort you are wiling to put into this bargain hunting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules