Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Radar / Laser Detectors

Radar / Laser Detectors (Page 3)
CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Call me crazy, but I think passing on the right is the lesser of two evils here.
I agree, and will admit to doing that on occasion.

It's less disruptive, and certainly more effective, than lashing out at other drivers with a light and sound show.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 04:41 PM

Call me crazy, but I think passing on the right is the lesser of two evils here.
Instant loss of license, here.

It's the most dangerous thing you can do.

Maybe things are different here, because there's a law that REQUIRES you to drive in the right lane on highways unless you're overtaking someone.

Because of this, people that overtake on the right (it's happened two or three times, oddly they've all been BMWs) are risking BOTH our lives:

Either I was just about getting ready to pull over onto the right lane (which I have every legal right to expect to be clear if I've just passed a car) and he's passing through my blind angle, or he's pulling past me to cut back in front of me forcing me to hit the brakes to regain minimum safe distance.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
A quick google was unable to help as to state laws.

Maybe things are different here, because there's a law that REQUIRES you to drive in the right lane on highways unless you're overtaking someone.
Things are different there in multiple respects (See: Speed Limits). This is also a perfect example of why I'm not a religious subscriber to state's rights. It's difficult to have a coherent argument with someone who lives in the same country as me on how one should drive (let alone trying to clarify what those laws are). What I did find is staying to the right was on partially enforced in my state (as in the law is not explicit).

But as far as I'm concerned, people that overtake me on the right (it's happened two or three times, oddly they've all been BMWs) are risking BOTH our lives:

Either I was just about getting ready to pull over onto the right lane (which I have every legal right to expect to be clear if I've just passed a car) and he's passing through my blind angle, or he's pulling past me to cut back in front of me forcing me to hit the brakes to regain minimum safe distance.
The blind spot is a good point. However, context. I usually pass on the right when I've been sitting behind some asshole for a minute and only just realized there's no one in front of them... in either lane (which inadvertently tells you these people are usually in vans or SUVs). It's obvious they're not planning on changing lanes until the apocalypse occurs.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 05:37 PM

Until the slow retard goes "oh shit someones about to pass me" and snaps over to the right at the last possible second.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 05:39 PM

I usually pass on the right when I've been sitting behind some asshole for a minute and only just realized there's no one in front of them... in either lane (which inadvertently tells you these people are usually in vans or SUVs). It's obvious they're not planning on changing lanes until the apocalypse occurs.
Exactly why I don't mind annoying the @#($U@#$(U out of them and making them move over.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Until the slow retard goes "oh shit someones about to pass me" and snaps over to the right at the last possible second.
To let you pass on the left, exactly.

That's why you're a ****ing moron to overtake on the right - it violates the other drivers' expectation (hence the law).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2010, 06:06 PM

Exactly why I don't mind annoying the @#($U@#$(U out of them and making them move over.
It seems like you use an incredible amount of energy just to shorten your commute.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It seems like you use an incredible amount of energy just to shorten your fuse.
fixed

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 06:09 PM

it violates the other drivers' expectation (hence the law).
Meh. The times I choose to do it, it's pretty clear that's not the other driver's expectation.

Also, as Dakar said, the law is not clear and varies pretty widely on this. In my state, it's legal to pass on the right. They did just pass a law prohibiting 'meanderers' in the left lane, but it's not really followed or enforced at all from what I've seen.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 13, 2010, 06:10 PM

Someone throw some more fuel on this fire/troll. I fear the thread is about to die before it goes Epic™.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 06:11 PM

That's why you're a ****ing moron to overtake on the right - it violates the other drivers' expectation (hence the law).
Uhm, how long has it been that you have lived in the US ?

Passing on the right is no big deal, people expect it and watch out for cars. It's business as usual.

-t

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 06:15 PM

It's far quicker and more efficient (and legal, here) to just go around them and move on with things.

If you think you're 'proving something' or 'teaching them a lesson' by annoying them with flashing lights, think again.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Uhm, how long has it been that you have lived in the US ?
Um, Never?

Over here, Rob's license wouldn't last six weeks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 06:26 PM

Rob could also drive on the Autobahn w/o speed limit

Maybe that'd calm him down

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2010, 06:42 PM

Um, Never?

Perhaps you missed the part where I pointed out driving expectations and rules are different in the US. Passing on the right here isn't the death wish you make it out to be.

You would recommend flashing my lights instead? Honking?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2010, 06:47 PM

Oh, general question to everyone; Where is your blind spot larger: On your left or on your right?

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 07:05 PM

State "keep right" laws

FWIW.

On topic: I got a radar detector installed in the grill of my car (can't see it without knowing it's there) wired to audible feedback device which is hidden in my center console. Works pretty well, I stick to about 15mph over the limit until I hear it chirp. I did manage to get a ticket anyway, the cop came up behind me and "paced" my speed.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 07:09 PM

Section 291-C-44 of the Hawaii Revised Statutes bans overtaking and passing another vehicle on the right except:

When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.
When traveling on a street or highway with unobstructed pavement that is not occupied by parked vehicles and that has lanes marked for two or more lines of moving vehicles in each direction -- a street or highway with at least four lanes of traffic, two in each direction.
When traveling on a one-way street where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.
In addition, the law states that the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on the right “only under conditions permitting such movement in safety.” Even then, it’s still illegal to pass on the right if the passing vehicle must drive on the shoulder of the road.

In general, Apele said: “A vehicle may not cross a solid white line onto the shoulder portion of a roadway to pass another vehicle on the right.

“Overtaking on the right is only permitted when it can occur within the boundary lines of the roadway.”
Looks like it's legal to pass on the right in Hawaii.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I did manage to get a ticket anyway, the cop came up behind me and "paced" my speed.
This is exactly why I've never used one of these things. Between the incessant chirping and 'false sense of security' issues, for me, it never felt like it'd have any impact on the odds of getting a ticket or not. I think I pretty much manage the same odds by being vigilant and keeping speeds at least within the realm of sanity.

YMMV.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2010, 07:39 PM

As far as I know, it's legal in all states to pass on the right. In pretty much any other country however, it's at the least a fine, all the way to having your car or license lost for 30 days.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Rob could also drive on the Autobahn w/o speed limit
Maybe, but would he respect the speed limits on the Autobahn where there are speed limits? It's been about nine years since the last time I was in Germany, but I'm pretty sure I remember a few places on the Autobahn from Stuttgart to Frankfurt where the speed limit dropped to 120 km/h and even a couple spots where it was 80 km/h.

On the other hand, Rob would be right at home driving in Greece. NOBODY follows the rules over there.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
On the other hand, Rob would be right at home driving in Greece. NOBODY follows the rules over there.
That's gone really well for them too! Sarcasm.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2010, 08:19 PM

Any ignorant jackwagons flashing lights or honking horns behind me when I am already doing the posted speed limit will only make me tap the brake pedal and slow down 5 - 10 mph.
( Last edited by auto_immune; Aug 13, 2010 at 08:28 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2010, 08:22 PM

It's okay because he has an Alfa Romeo.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2010, 08:30 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 13, 2010, 08:48 PM

That sure is a downer for a Friday night.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2010, 09:45 PM

Wait a minute, is the 'NN hamstor dead, because I posted my comment (obviously) after auto_immune posted the video.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
That sure is a downer for a Friday night.
Well, if you guys had a life, you wouldn't be posting here on a Friday night.
[/irony]
-t

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 13, 2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by auto_immune View Post
Any ignorant jackwagons flashing lights or honking horns behind me when I am already doing the posted speed limit will only make me tap the brake pedal and slow down 5 - 10 mph.
And you are part of the problem.

What part of this does your pathetic brain not understand?

PS: If you do that to me I pass you, cut you off, and then go 5-10mph slower than you until you move into the correct lane. Understand now? Have a nice day!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2010, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by auto_immune View Post
That, too, counts as coercion here.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2010, 07:41 AM

Some people in this thread need to drink a bit of Cool-Aid and take deep, calming breaths. Being pissed at people driving dangerously on the roads is fine. Calling each other names on an Internet forum because you disagree on exactly what constitutes driving dangerously, however, is not.

It's the most dangerous thing you can do.
Huh, that’s pretty harsh. No second chances.

Up here, we’re a bit more lenient, though still relatively strict: you get a ‘clip’ on your licence for either tailgating or overtaking on the right. Three clips within three years (or two clips within three years, if your licence is less than three years old) and you lose your licence for three years, after which you have to take a new driving test to get it back. If, within three years of that time, you manage to get three clips again, you lose your licence permanently without the possibility of ever being allowed to drive again.

But yeah. Overtaking on the right—not recommended.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2010, 10:50 AM

PS: If you do that to me I pass you, cut you off, and then go 5-10mph slower than you until you move into the correct lane. Understand now? Have a nice day!
Ooooh...that'll teach him! Feel better now?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2010, 11:43 AM

I would do it back to you.

Understand now?
do you?

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 14, 2010, 12:06 PM

If they don't realize how annoying it is to be held up by some asshole, then they certainly will when I do it back to them. Golden rule, all that.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2010, 12:31 PM

If they don't realize how annoying it is to be held up by some asshole, then they certainly will when I do it back to them. Golden rule, all that.
Cool. While you're busy showing them what it means to be driving near some asshole, I'll just whiz on by and be on my merry way - concerned about my own business and not someone else's. Try not to hit me as I go on by. Thanks.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 14, 2010, 01:01 PM

I figure if I'm driving the same route all the time, if I change a few people's mind's it'll make my commute a little bit easier next time. I also have a big sign that says "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" that I can hold up as well.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2010, 01:08 PM

I also have a big sign that says "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" that I can hold up as well.
Do people know that's what it means when you flip the bird ?

-t

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 14, 2010, 01:19 PM

I dunno. If figure a sign was more direct.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2010, 01:28 PM

Oh, you *were* talking about a real sign. N/m.
Good riddance to my joke attempt.
-t

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2010, 01:47 PM

All I know is if you're impeding the flow of traffic *and* you're talking on a cellphone - fair game.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 14, 2010, 02:33 PM

Or you're a fat piece of shit driving an SUV by yourself....

Or a small female driving a large SUV....

Or a country bumpkin in a big pick em up truck who doesn't move over for "fags driving imports"....

I could go on and on and on.

Generally though, cars move over for some reason. It's the insecure truck/suv drivers who refuse to.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2010, 05:21 PM

if I change a few people's mind's
You're doing it wrong.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2010, 06:12 PM

What part of this does your pathetic brain not understand?
Why can't you understand that you can't treat that sign as a law and speed limit signs as irrelevant? I don't mean this as an insult, but your ignorance is genuinely staggering.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2010, 11:59 PM

if I change a few people's mind's...
That's exactly what they're saying about you! Did it work on you, when they did it?

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 15, 2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Why can't you understand that you can't treat that sign as a law and speed limit signs as irrelevant? I don't mean this as an insult, but your ignorance is genuinely staggering.
It's a simple concept. If someone is going faster than you, MOVE OVER. If you are going faster than someone else, they should move over for you. If everyone adhered to such a simple, easy rule, there would be less traffic jams, less road rage, and less people on the road at any given moment, because people like yourself would not be holding up a string of 10-15 cars that are waiting to pass you.

That sign is called COMMON COURTESY, which, in my eyes, is MUCH more important than some arbitrary speed limit. I posted a link on the last page, that basically says the speed limit is about 10 mph slower than most people drive, so I really don't care what the speed limit says. I drive as fast as I feel comfortable and safe driving. On a highway, in my civic, that is about 90mph. I've upgraded the wheels/tires/brakes/suspension so 90mph is about as fast as I want to go. 4 months ago, when it was stock, I only liked cruising at about 70mph. In my SVX, I was content to cruise at 110mph. And I bet in a BMW 850, I'd be content to cruise at 130mph.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post

Huh, that’s pretty harsh. No second chances.

Up here, we’re a bit more lenient, though still relatively strict: you get a ‘clip’ on your licence for either tailgating or overtaking on the right. ...
Also not true. Here the German Bußgeldkatalog, including latest changes:
BMVBS: Bussgeldkatalog
Typically you get points, similar to those clips you mentioned. Collect enough points and you will lose your license, yes, but instant loss is only for driving under alcohol/drugs related incidents.

After all, this is Germany, home of the automobile!!11

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2010, 12:38 PM

I think what Spheric meant (and mentioned earlier) is that you lose your license for a period (like one month).

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2010, 01:53 PM

That sign is called COMMON COURTESY, which, in my eyes, is MUCH more important
And yet you're intentionally being as obnoxious as possible

Here's a simpler theory, and it fits the evidence better: you're selfish. That's all. You sacrifice the safety and convenience of others for your own gain. And rather than feel guilty about this, you make up long complicated illogical grasping-at-straws justifications in order to fool yourself into thinking you're not simply being a bad person.
( Last edited by Uncle Skeleton; Aug 15, 2010 at 02:24 PM. )

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2010, 03:35 PM

I'm saying every stickshift i've touched vibrated when the car was moving, so I'm not sure how 'special' the G35 is in this regard.
I don't recall calling it special. I was addressing someone who hadn't experienced it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2010, 04:04 PM

It's a simple concept. If someone is going faster than you, MOVE OVER. If you are going faster than someone else, they should move over for you. If everyone adhered to such a simple, easy rule, there would be less traffic jams, less road rage, and less people on the road at any given moment, because people like yourself would not be holding up a string of 10-15 cars that are waiting to pass you.
Here's the biggest problem with your simple rule: way too many jerks believe that I should somehow magically disappear when they're behind me, whether I have a place to go or not, whether I am able to go faster or not.

On the other hand, I've been all too happy to get out of the way of such jerks when the opportunity presents itself. I particularly like to do this when I have seen the rolling state police car ahead but the guy with his headlights flashing in my rear view mirror has not. I think of it as karma, really.

The biggest problem with the driver selecting what he/she chooses as his/her top speed is that there aren't enough people on the road who are safe at the posted speed limit, let alone more than 5 MPH faster than that. Here in San Antonio, it seems like 90% of the drivers learned how to drive by watching sitcoms. In Romanian. Without subtitles. So many people here really are that bad. In general, I let people who want to go faster than I am going, which will seldom be much over the posted limit.

I do not like paying more for car insurance, nor the legal threat of losing my license for "minor" offenses. I have ONE moving offense in the last 30 years, and that's because of confusing speed limit signs. That record gets me lower rates, and I want to keep it that way.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules