Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Leap Motion

Leap Motion
He's dead Jim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2012, 09:52 PM

Well the video looks interesting. PCmag did a write up on it.
Leap Motion

andi*pandi
May 21, 2012, 10:34 PM

Hello Minority Report! Looks cool, definitely. Wonder what the practical applications can be aside from cool factor though. Making your mac more of an iPad? Cross-platform apps? Hmm.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2012, 11:01 PM

This is exactly the sort of interaction that I expected would come with the Apple Television. Now I'm expecting *more*.

freudling
Banned
May 23, 2012, 01:23 AM

This is something people will have to learn, and it'll take time for it to catch. However, I'm not so sure it will really catch. I have been watching Oblong Industries and their huge Minority Report system they sell to big companies and government for millions of dollars for years. This $70 unit will put them out of business. Yet, some people have really criticized this way of interacting with your computer due to lack of any tactile feedback whatsoever.

Is this an interesting device for a huge screen? Yes. Kinect. But for a laptop or even a desktop I don't think people will really use it at all because people are up close, directly in front of these devices, doing actual things that this won't allow you to do, like type and navigate with a high degree of precision and finite control.

Forum Links
Forum Rules