Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Getting Nano replaced

Getting Nano replaced
Lava Lamp Freak
Sep 13, 2006, 04:07 PM

I've been having problems with my Nano locking up and was going to send it in for service, but they want $30 for shipping since its 7 months old. If I take it to the Apple Store, do I have to be able to reproduce the problem in the store to get it replaced? I really don't want to pay $30 to get my Nano working Nano as it already should be, but I'm worried it won't happen while I'm in the store. What is the norm?

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 04:14 PM

Warranty service in the second half of your one year warranty is $30. There's no way around it. If you purchase apple care they will waive the $30, but you'll pay more than $30 for apple care. Still, I did it because that's the only Apple product to fail on me thus far.

Bottom line, this is totally normal.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Sep 13, 2006, 04:28 PM

Will the store replace it if I can't reproduce the problem on the spot to the genius?

memory-minus
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 04:31 PM

They only charge you the $30 fee if they actually replace your iPod.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 10:13 PM

What the hell? I've never heard of that charge, and if it's true, it's bullshit. I had my iPod photo replaced 3 days before my original one year warranty expired, and was so impressed with the service I bought AppleCare for it.
Linkinus is king.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Sep 13, 2006, 11:04 PM

Yea, it really sucks. It isn't worth paying $30 to fix a Nano that is now worth like $50, considering Apple's $99 price on 2GB refurbs. I was under the impression when I started this thread that the $30 was to do the mail in replacement, but the store wants $30, too. So I'm not even going into to see a Genius. Plus the replacement would probably have the same issues I already have.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2006, 11:12 PM

not even close to true. i got my nano replaced in the last 6 months
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

memory-minus
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
What the hell? I've never heard of that charge, and if it's true, it's bullshit. I had my iPod photo replaced 3 days before my original one year warranty expired, and was so impressed with the service I bought AppleCare for it.
IIRC it started with the 5G iPod and Nano last year. If you look closely at the terms of the warranty that come with your iPod, you'll see a line that goes something like "in the event more than 181 days have passed since the purchase of your iPod, a shipping and handling fee for warranty replacement will apply." That fee is $30, and it's charged both in-store and over the phone AppleCare.

memory-minus
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by stwain2003
not even close to true. i got my nano replaced in the last 6 months
Was your Nano more than 6 months old when you took it in for replacement?

I took my 8-month old 5G iPod in because of a full-on "sad iPod" failure and they wouldn't budge on the $30 fee.

JUST BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HAPPEN TO YOU DOESN'T MEAN IT'S FALSE. Tell me, you're a Republican right?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:18 PM

What a bunch of crap. That is such a stupid freaking load of crap. Who ever heard of $30 to ship a 4 once package anywhere?
Linkinus is king.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Sep 14, 2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
What a bunch of crap. That is such a stupid freaking load of crap. Who ever heard of $30 to ship a 4 once package anywhere?
They'll happily waive it if I buy AppleCare.

AppleCare for my 2GB costs close to the price of the refurb. It would be worth it for the iPod video, but not my cheap Nano.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 12:21 AM

Bad form Apple, Bad form.

If you're a student, AppleCare is only $47, so you might want to go that route. I dunno....
Linkinus is king.

memory-minus
Senior User
Sep 15, 2006, 04:12 PM

I actually told the "genius" that it was "extortion" for them to charge me $30 to fix my in-warranty iPod. You can pay $30, or you can pay $59. Your choice. Enjoy your Apple product!

I am a huge, long-time Apple fan and a compulsive upgrader, and this $30 charge is the biggest bunch of BS I've ever encountered from them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules