Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any C.S.I.s here?

Any C.S.I.s here?
Lava Lamp Freak
Sep 19, 2006, 03:57 PM

I'm thinking about taking a two year Crime Scene Investigation program at my local community college. It sounds like interesting work and I've been interested in it for several years. Anyone here have any experience in the field or ever looked into it?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2006, 04:09 PM

Hopefully it's just like the TV show: full of mood lighting, hot women, and you get to drive a Hummer.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Sep 19, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Hopefully it's just like the TV show: full of mood lighting, hot women, and you get to drive a Hummer.
Thats what I suspected.

natural1
Sep 19, 2006, 04:18 PM

Hot women and Hummers?! Where do I sign up?!

natnabour
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2006, 07:14 PM

i think the tv show glamourizes REAL crime scene investigators. i wouldn't be able to walk into a room with a body of a dead/raped girl and have to examine her/evidence.

OreoCookie
Sep 19, 2006, 07:47 PM

… and the way they have databases for everything
Wanna know what building as a 5m by 2m hurricane proof window, ah, that's easy.
Criminals tend to have busted tail lights, too, with nano-imprinted codes just a few micrometers in size, unique to the make and model of a car (or a specific car, if it needs to). Criminals also tend to show up in some obscure database (the good old drunken and disorderly, for instance).
Colleagues usually enter the room when the printer just spits out the results of the test they had you run.
Give us any blurry picture of your car from a broken bw security 100 m away and we can still read single letters off your parking pass.
BTW I like CSI (the original)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 07:49 PM

Tangentally related at best:
Last time I was in an evidence room, I saw a fish tank. Gravel, plastic plants, filter. No water. No fish. I asked the CSI gal in the evidence room if the fish was murdered and if they were preserving the crime scene. I got a withering stare. So I asked if they recovered the body, and suggested that if they had not, I suspect the body had most likely been flushed. This was met with another withering stare. I then proceeded to tell the guys working for me not to ask about the fish tank, because it is a sensitive matter, still under investigation. At this the CSI gal actually chuckled and shook her head and called me a fscking weirdo. I found it fairly amusing
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 07:54 PM

I think in general, most "occupations" are glam'd up on TV/Movies. And especially those in the Police/Lawyer/Investigation areas. I've only seen crime scene photos (had the opportunity sit through a few Policy academy sessions), and I just cannot imagine being there for real. The mess, the stinch, and the maggots...which is rarely shown on TV. They're everywhere... supposedly.

I also hear the best are the "floaters"..... especially when it comes to smells.... you think that dead fish by the docks smelled bad.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2006, 08:30 PM

Yeah, putricine will put a dent in your appetite.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Sep 19, 2006, 11:20 PM

come ride on the fire dept with me for a while...it will make you know for a fact if you want to be CSI or not...considering we are the garbage man of the scene...and sometimes its so smelly/contaminated we have to go in with our hazmat crap on....CSI is the most fake show out there...heck the show cops is incredibly fake...

but we need good people who are willing to wade through the crap for little pay!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2006, 11:26 PM

They did have a CSI episode about a floater...the guy died in his running bathtub and bloated for a week or two, until it got to the point where it was raining down a human remains/water mixture in the apartment below...that looked pretty gross.

Forum Links
Forum Rules