Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New C2D video problem

New C2D video problem
Lava Lamp Freak
Dec 20, 2006, 01:09 AM

I literally just got home from the Apple Store. I booted up the computer and went through registration. I went down to the dock to open Safari, and this happens. I rebooted and it seems ok. But what does this mean? Is the machine defective? It was a refreshed system, and they don't have any others in the store, so I can't exchanged it unless I want to pay $250 for an unopened system. Think it might just be a freak thing I shouldn't worry about? I've had video cards go bad before, and they usually stay bad. I can't reproduce this.

This is a 2.33 15" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, by the way.
( Last edited by Lava Lamp Freak; Dec 20, 2006 at 01:53 AM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2006, 02:01 AM

I'd try reinstalling OSX... if the problem recurs, it's hardware and you'll need to call AppleCare to get it fixed (for free, of course).

ibook_steve
Dec 20, 2006, 02:16 PM

This is definitely a return. The graphics chip (GPU) is getting affected by heat and screwing up. Chances are if you let your machine sit for a while, it will happen again. Time for a replacement. It's not your fault.

Steve

itistoday
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2006, 06:42 PM

I've had that happen to me but in a different context:

Machine is asleep, I connect it to an external display via DVI cable, wake it up with lid still closed, the screensaver appears on my external display asking for my password. When this happens I sometimes see such artifacts, but after the screensaver goes away I no longer see them.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Dec 20, 2006, 08:13 PM

Searching the Apple forums, numerous other people have the same problem I experienced. I've been using the computer most of the day and haven't been able to duplicate it. I reset PRAM and repaired permissions, two things I found to try on the Apple forum. I don't think heat had anything to do with it. The computer had only been on maybe 10 minutes when it first happened. I ran a 3D screensaver for a while today, hoping it would get hot and happen again, but I never could get it to happen. Well, I still have 13 days left to return if it happens again.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2006, 12:04 AM

The Apple Store is pretty lenient returning defective items within 30 days or so. Especially if it's refresh. They may not be able to replace it with a brand new one without more money, but they will definately not charge the re-stock fee.

That picture you took. Was it a screen capture or was it a picture you took with a camera?

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Dec 21, 2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
The Apple Store is pretty lenient returning defective items within 30 days or so. Especially if it's refresh. They may not be able to replace it with a brand new one without more money, but they will definately not charge the re-stock fee.

That picture you took. Was it a screen capture or was it a picture you took with a camera?
Screenshot. As soon as it happened I took a screenshot just to see if it would capture it. Then I immediately started crying, and rebooted. So far so good. Its the most amazing computer I've owned. It seems to be as fast as my G5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules