Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is your T-Mobile service down?

Is your T-Mobile service down?
Lava Lamp Freak
Jan 13, 2007, 08:43 PM

Mine has been down about 3 hours, and they told me its a system failure. I've only had the service a week, and am considering canceling because of this. I only switched to get a Pearl. I've had Sprint for 6 years and have never had a loss of network. I'm not sure, though, if its just a local issue, or network wide.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jan 13, 2007, 09:04 PM

I called back and was told there was a power failure resulting in a nation-wide service outage. You'd think they'd have some type of power backup to prevent an outage like this from happening. Oh well, I really want the iPhone anyway.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 09:18 PM

Well, it wasn't Nation wide. I just talked to my wife an hour ago, she called from her T-Mobile cell. So no, can't be Nation wide.

-t

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2007, 09:42 PM

Mine appears functional right now. Most likely they have an outage at a district switching center or the like. It is uncommon but not impossible.

My Tmobile service has been great. Don't judge them on a one time event. I haven't had such a problem with them in the 3? years I've been with them. They were among the fastest of the carriers to get back to operating capacity after the hurricanes.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 11:58 PM

Well, I haven't had any trouble with T-Mobile in the three (or is it four now? I forget) years that I've had service with them. Their coverage isn't as good as Verizon and some of the others, but their pricing can't be beat and the coverage is fine in major urban areas (which is where I spend 99% of my time).

Give them a chance - this is definitely a fluke, isolated incident.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 12:32 AM

No problem for both voice and data in the Seattle area.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jan 14, 2007, 12:53 AM

It seems to only be my region that is down. They're blaming it on the ice storm. I still don't think it is acceptable for service to be down 6+ hours, though.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
It seems to only be my region that is down. They're blaming it on the ice storm. I still don't think it is acceptable for service to be down 6+ hours, though.
Well, what's your option if you return the phone and cancel T-Mobil ?
Can you stick with your old provider ?

You could wait till June and get the iPhone with Cingular.
Otherwise, T-Mobile is not that bad, I had it for years. Plus, they have 1 year contracts.

-t

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2007, 06:42 PM

Yes, mine is out. But it might be related to the fact that I recently cancelled my service with them.

Maybe.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 07:03 PM

My BlackBerry was showing GSM instead of EDGE today but that's because they messed up my wife and my account once again.

After I got that sorted out it's been back on EDGE and working fine in my area.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Jan 14, 2007, 07:15 PM

I canceled by account last night, but not just because of the outage. I'd rather wait for the iPhone anyway. My Samsung A-900 will do me fine until June. Pearl was great, though.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 14, 2007, 07:38 PM

Still getting nagging phone calls from my mom, so I guess her service isn't down here in the SF Bay Area.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2007, 07:38 PM

No cell problems but I did have a few text messages get sent to me 3 times over the course of several hours last night.

I've had TMo for about five years now and rarely have any kind of issues.

Forum Links
Forum Rules