Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac pro sata connection access....

mac pro sata connection access....
action
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2007, 04:45 PM

hi gang,

i'm planning on getting a mac pro and using the additional 2 sata connections on the mother board to install two additional sata drives via the connection. my question is are the connections easy to access?

thanks in advance for your help.

chung lee

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 04:56 AM

I can't see them inside mine.

Then again, I didn't look too hard.

I know they're there though
Linkinus is king.

revox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 05:12 PM

I can see them inside mine but you got to use very tiny SATA connectors like Apples own because there's limited space for the connectors.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 01:33 AM

They're fixed to the back of the hard drive bay, so all you have to do to install a new drive is screw the bracket on and slide it into the drive bay. Makes it really easy to add/swap drives. If you needed to extend/re-route those connections for whatever reason, that probably makes things harder. There's two more SATA connections for the optical drive bays that are probably easier to access/extend than the four hard drive connections.

"I start fires!"

crystalcove
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 12:19 PM

I'm planning on buying a Macpro. I read that installing two different sata drives (mac drive,pre-installed, and seagate barracuda) is not a good idea. Any ideas?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by crystalcove View Post
I read that installing two different sata drives (mac drive,pre-installed, and seagate barracuda) is not a good idea.
I've never heard that, other than of course a RAID. In a RAID you of course want the drives to be the same in size and being as similar as possible never hurts. You can have any SATA drive in your Mac Pro. A Western Digital Raptor is nice for a startup drive or if you want speed.

Are Raptors any noisier than 7200 RPM drives? I was thinking of getting one if I buy I new Mac Pro soon.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

P
Feb 19, 2007, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Are Raptors any noisier than 7200 RPM drives? I was thinking of getting one if I buy I new Mac Pro soon.
I'd say they're noisier than the mean for 7200 RPM drives, but there is a quite a bit of spread inside that spectrum these days.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2007, 01:05 PM

I've got a MacPro that has the following drives:

Bay 1: Stock 250 gig drive that came with it. SATA/300 7200.
Bay 2 & 3: Western Digital 500 gig SATA/300 7200.
Bay 4: Western Digital 250 gig SATA/150 7200.

Everything works just fine.

action  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2007, 01:00 AM

hi gang,

i went to a computer store and to the dismay of the sales person i opened up a mac pro and started looking for the two additional sata connections. it's just below the lower right corner of the drive 01. it's behind the top right edge of the fan assembly. it looks like there
is room to hook up a couple of sata connections but not sure how much room there is without modification to get the sata cables to the second optical bay where i would store the two extra drives.

thanks for everyone's input. if i'm able to get six drives in a mac pro then i can comfortably not use my 4 bay sata box i'm currently using with my g5. i wonder there will be a drastic change to the motherboard if the octo's come out. once the octo's come out i will decide between the fastest octo or the fastest quads. will be doing hd video editing on the rig so i will wait for some render tests etc...

i really don't know how a lowered scaled octo would compare to higher clocked quad...

sorry rambling now but i found the answer to my question.

best,

cl

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 01:23 AM

When rendering video, the more cores the better. It pretty much scales linearly.
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules