Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X Leopard won't boot.Help needed.

Mac OS X Leopard won't boot.Help needed.
rodrigoleiteferreira
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2009, 09:28 PM

Hello everyone,
First of all I'm sorry for my rubbish english, I'm from brazil and it's been a while since I've written something in your language. Here goes my problem:

I have an iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 300GB, 2GB of ram, everything came with it. I didn't change a thing. This morning I left it on to download some stuff and left for school. When I arrived a couple hours ago the screen was frozen and I restarted it, but it wouldn't boot. It kept showing me a grey screen in which a darker grey folder with a question mark in it kept flashing. I went to apple support page, in another computer obviously, to see what I should do. After a long time rummaging for some answer it said to safe boot it. I tried to no result. Then it said to reset NVRAM/PRAM, which I did to no result again. The last resort was to insert the Leopard disc and reinstall Mac OS all again, which I didn't want to do because it has been a while since I've done a backup, nonetheless I did it, it was better than losing my computer. Once it booted from the CD I opened up Disk Utility to see if I could repair the disk instead of formatting it, to my surprise there was no hard disk showing up. It only showed up the Leopard disc. Then I went to System Profile to see if anything showed up there and it didn't recognize any Serial-ATA devices, it said there had been an error while trying to scan for Serial-ATA devices. That was when I decided to reinstall Leopard, I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to since it hadn't recognized any hard drive. Now I don't know what else to do. The Apple Support page is a c*** and here in Brazil there's nowhere to call to get an assistance. Hope someone out there could help me.
Thank you.

By the way, I took some pictures of the screen but didn't know how to post them, if anyone thinks it would be useful I'd be glad to put them on the post if anyone teaches me how, I'm kind of new to this posting in forum things.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2009, 10:25 PM

Your English is excellent and surpasses that of quite a few "native" speakers.

The bad news is that your hard drive has probably died and will need to be replaced. (You have a backup…right? )

Less likely is that the hard drive controller on your main logic board has died, in which case the main logic board would need to be replaced. This is rare, though.

rodrigoleiteferreira  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2009, 10:52 PM

no backup

i guess i'll see over at apple's site to see where is the nearest assistance.

thank you

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2009, 10:59 PM

Welcome to the Forums.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules