Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > used Mac's

used Mac's
He's dead Jim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2010, 12:34 AM

I'm considering buying a used Mac. Has anyone bought from powermax(dot)com. Opinions/rumors/thoughts...etc

I don't need the latest or greatest computer. So that's why I'm interested in buying used.

thanks

reader50
Administrator
May 24, 2010, 01:50 AM

PowerMax seems to be a legit Mac trades house, but I've heard almost nothing about it.

Please be advised that our sig rules include a 200x50 size limit.
( Last edited by reader50; May 24, 2010 at 01:58 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2010, 03:37 AM

Also be sure to look at the refurb specials page at the online Apple Store.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

He's dead Jim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2010, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the reply's.
Sorry about the sig size. Guess I need new glasses.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2010, 10:31 AM

I've bought two machines off of PowerMax within the last 5 years. Both PowerMac G3 towers.

Prices are a bit steep, but they supposedly check out these machines first...which wasn't the case with my last PowerMax purchase, which came with a dead PRAM battery and a flaky (to this day) SCSI-based HDD.

In hindsight, spending a couple hundred extra and going for a refurbed Intel Mac Mini or iMac would have been the way to go. You might not need a powerful machine right now, but look into the future, do you feel like buying an old machine every couple of years,or buy one machine near-new that will last longer?

I recommend a refurbished iMac, I did the same for myself and haven't regretted my decision for a minute. Did a quick scan of the refurb page at Apple and this caught my eye (Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)), pretty good deal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules