Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > New Airport base stations?

New Airport base stations?
all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2004, 02:14 PM

Do the current base stations support things like Power over Ethernet? And are they UL 2043 compliant (whatever that is)?

There's an image up on the Hardware section of Apple's site which I don't recognise, and the file's named with a date in it (19th of April). On the graphic the two above things are mentioned.

Anyway, maybe it's a new thing.

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2004, 08:30 AM

OK - it *is* a new thing (on the homepage now), but what does it allow us to do that we couldn't before?

rambo47
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 08:57 AM

I was looking at a pdf at Apple's support area on designing AirPort networks and noticed that, yes, power over ethernet is supported. They talk about putting base stations in ceiling passages and ducts in order to hide them. Using the standard power adapter is not recommended in this case and instead you should use the power over ethernet option. Nifty.

I'm going to use several AEBS units to extend my home network since the house just grew by 130% with our addition. I'm really impressed with the AEBS's ability to link together to extend one network. You set up the new base stations to act as repeaters and place them where they can "see" another base station in the network. I see no limit to how many you can string together in this fashion.

http://www.apple.com/support/airport/

Forum Links
Forum Rules