Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > chickenhawk or just plain chicken? Bush seeks to reduce debate number...

chickenhawk or just plain chicken? Bush seeks to reduce debate number...
Lerkfish
Sep 3, 2004, 09:07 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...otebook03.html

interesting portions:

President Bush's campaign won't say for sure whether he will agree to the three debates proposed by the independent Commission on Presidential Debates, or if a Republican strategist was right this week when he said the Bush campaign would agree to only two debates.

The commission, without a formal agreement by the Bush camp, set debates for Sept. 30 in Coral Gables, Fla.; Oct. 8 in St. Louis; and Oct. 13 in Tempe. A vice presidential debate between incumbent Dick Cheney and Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's running mate, North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, was set for Oct. 5 in Cleveland.

GOP strategist Scott Reed was quoted by the Reuter news agency this week as saying the Bush camp's position is that "two debates are sufficient and will not dominate the entire fall schedule."

"Three debates would have a tendency to be a little overbearing on your campaign strategy and tactics," Reed was quoted as saying.

cluck, cluck, cluck.

Lerkfish  (op)
Sep 3, 2004, 09:10 AM

I should add that I don't necessarily expect bush to debate AT ALL.

The ONLY reason the shrub "performed well" in the last debates was because the bar was lowered so far they had to remove the flooring and several substrates of bedrock to make room for him to crawl under it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 09:16 AM

We will see when the debates happen Lerk. I don't think your Buddy John really wants to be asked about his military history. He might get a bit huffy and make a fool out of himself.

Because right now it is HIM playing the chicken when it comes to answering such questions.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
We will see when the debates happen Lerk. I don't think your Buddy John really wants to be asked about his military history. He might get a bit huffy and make a fool out of himself.

Because right now it is HIM playing the chicken when it comes to answering such questions.
I think both candidates should get together and simultaneously say, "Hello, I'm *muddled mix of both names* and I'm here to talk about 2004, not 1964. Thank you."

Kerry made in an issue first and the Bush admin has made it issue #1 of why not to vote for Kerry.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 09:57 AM

The President is trying to run a nation and a war. While Kerry is comfortable skipping out on his job responsibilities, Bush is not.

We know where Bush stands on the issues. When Kerry finds his positions, then we can talk about debates.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
cluck, cluck, cluck.
Less about being chicken, more about being ahead. Simple strategy, if you are behind, jump up and down and say you want more debates. If you are ahead, avoid extraneous debates.

You don't have to be a political guru to understand that. Just look at any race, from Montana's current race for US Rep to Presidential contests going back years. The one who is behind always wants more debates. The one who is ahead does not.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Lerkfish  (op)
Sep 3, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
Less about being chicken, more about being ahead. Simple strategy, if you are behind, jump up and down and say you want more debates. If you are ahead, avoid extraneous debates.

You don't have to be a political guru to understand that. Just look at any race, from Montana's current race for US Rep to Presidential contests going back years. The one who is behind always wants more debates. The one who is ahead does not.
you're thinking Bush is comfortably ahead at this point? wishful thinking.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 10:01 AM

I wonder if Kerry is going to bring out the "lock box"

dcolton
Banned
Sep 3, 2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by UNTiMac:
Kerry made in an issue first and the Bush admin has made it issue #1 of why not to vote for Kerry.
No, Bush hasn't. As a matter of fact, didn't Bush recently praise Kerry for his service in Vietnam?

What if a reporter asks the question during a debate? Would that be Bush's fault? Better yet, what if the question is NOT asked of Kerry during the debates by the moderator?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 10:09 AM

Oh it will be asked. I am sure Kerry will do his best to sideskirt and try to make it a "non-issue"

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 10:11 AM

you're thinking Bush is comfortably ahead at this point? wishful thinking.
I don't think there is much debate that the past month has been terrible and self destructive for the Kerry Campaign. If you can't see that, you are the one who is wishful.

Am I saying Bush is winning by a wide margin? No. I'm saying he has the momentum.

dcolton
Banned
Sep 3, 2004, 10:24 AM

Oh it will be asked. I am sure Kerry will do his best to sideskirt and try to make it a "non-issue"
Yeah, he might be in a load of trouble if Swift Boat Vetrans version of events is true. The navy is now investigating Kerry's medals. Soon we will hear the dems crying hillary in '08

Lerkfish  (op)
Sep 3, 2004, 10:31 AM

I don't think there is much debate that the past month has been terrible and self destructive for the Kerry Campaign. If you can't see that, you are the one who is wishful.

Am I saying Bush is winning by a wide margin? No. I'm saying he has the momentum.
bush isn't even within the margin of error of the majority of polls.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 10:33 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...otebook03.html

interesting portions:

cluck, cluck, cluck.
I believe this is a Republican expectation-setting tactic, and it's a trap Democrats fall for every time. Repubs act avoidant (hmm, 'avoidant' isn't in the spell check database?) about debates, Dems jump on it, and then when the debates do happen, expectations are so low for the Repub that they win simply by beating the low expectation.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by BRussell:
I believe this is a Republican expectation-setting tactic, and it's a trap Democrats fall for every time. Repubs act avoidant (hmm, 'avoidant' isn't in the spell check database?) about debates, Dems jump on it, and then when the debates do happen, expectations are so low for the Repub that they win simply by beating the low expectation.
Yeah that's the ticket! They don't win because they are better, but because expectations are so low!!

Ahahhaha. Come on. The only side that has low expectations for Bush are the left.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 10:50 AM

bush isn't even within the margin of error of the majority of polls.
Could you link me to those polls? Thanks.

Also, are you denying Kerry had a poor August? He's clearly scrambling. Getting new staff on board. Holding midnight press conferences to "address" the mean old Republican's attacks on him. That's without even getting into the Swift Boats.

Bush had a pre-Convention bounce, whether he'll get a post-Convention one is yet to be seen.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2004, 10:52 AM

I think most people will vote for whoever the foreigners don't like.

Spoogepieces
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 10:53 AM

Another hate thread by Lerk.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 10:54 AM

Didn't Kerry say that Bush would win the debates?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2004, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
The President is trying to run a nation and a war.
What war?

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
What war?

Zimphire
Baninated

What war?
The same war the Democrats are talking about here

"The facts are clear, the Navy awarded John Kerry the Silver Star, a Bronze Star with a Combat V and three Purple Hearts. It is waste of taxpayer's dollars and the Pentagon's time, especially during wartime, to investigate a 35-year-old Navy clerical error," the statement reads.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane

Originally posted by Spoogepieces:
Another hate thread by Lerk.
Well, it's not surprising, it's all he has.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2004, 11:08 AM

The same war the Democrats are talking about here

"The facts are clear, the Navy awarded John Kerry the Silver Star, a Bronze Star with a Combat V and three Purple Hearts. It is waste of taxpayer's dollars and the Pentagon's time, especially during wartime, to investigate a 35-year-old Navy clerical error," the statement reads.
Bush is finally fighting in the Vietnam War?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 11:12 AM

Bush is finally fighting in the Vietnam War?
Uh, re-read it again.

"It is waste of taxpayer's dollars and the Pentagon's time, especially during wartime, to investigate a 35-year-old Navy clerical error," the statement reads."

They are speaking in the present tense.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2004, 11:21 AM

Uh, re-read it again.

"It is waste of taxpayer's dollars and the Pentagon's time, especially during wartime, to investigate a 35-year-old Navy clerical error," the statement reads."

They are speaking in the present tense.
OHHH! THAT war ... which war is that?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 11:23 AM

OHHH! THAT war ... which war is that?
Have you been in a fog of pot smoke the past 3 years?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 11:32 AM

Barack Obama (Democratic convention keynote speaker) is doing the same thing to his opponent Alan Keyes. You gonna cry about that one too?

It's a very common political tactic, not even worth posting.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2004, 11:44 AM

Have you been in a fog of pot smoke the past 3 years?
Well, I know there was a war in Afghanistan and a war in Iraq, but to the best of my knowledge both are over. Has the US finally decided to stop going after the easy targets and take care of real threats such as N. Korea?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 11:50 AM

Well, I know there was a war in Afghanistan and a war in Iraq, but to the best of my knowledge both are over. Has the US finally decided to stop going after the easy targets and take care of real threats such as N. Korea?
LAWL! First these targets were impossible! I remember hearing the left scream about how does Bush plan on doing the Afghanistan thing when Russia tried for 10 years and couldn't accomplish it.

Now suddenly it's a "easy target"

Spins are fun to watch.

BTW that specific Democrat was speaking about the ongoing war on terror. You know it's still going on right?
( Last edited by Zimphire; Sep 3, 2004 at 12:02 PM. )

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 11:59 AM

...Spins are fun to watch. ...
They sure are! So is Kerry going to take care of the growing nuclear threats in N. Korea and Iran?

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by smacintush:
Barack Obama (Democratic convention keynote speaker) is doing the same thing to his opponent Alan Keyes. You gonna cry about that one too?

It's a very common political tactic, not even worth posting.
There's a huge difference in the races, though. Obama is ahead by like 65% to 30%. Bush and Kerry, OTOH, are in a dead heat at the moment.

BG
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2004, 12:18 PM

BTW that specific Democrat was speaking about the ongoing war on terror. You know it's still going on right?
The War on Terror is a war? Has a truce in the War on Drugs been declared, or does the President actually have TWO wars on his hands?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2004, 12:20 PM

We can count on Canada to do diddily-squat.

as usual.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
There's a huge difference in the races, though. Obama is ahead by like 65% to 30%. Bush and Kerry, OTOH, are in a dead heat at the moment.

BG
Dead heat? No.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 12:36 PM

That's why I think the decision should be taken out of their hands. I'm tired of them playing politics with the debates. It happens every election cycle, from BOTH sides.

It should be a condition of any presidential candidate receiving public funds. They should be required to take part in a pre-determined number of debates. It should have been part of the campaign finance reform bill. After all, the debates are for OUR benefit not the candidates. It's the only time we can get an unfiltered discussion of the issues.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Lerkfish  (op)
Sep 3, 2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
That's why I think the decision should be taken out of their hands. I'm tired of them playing politics with the debates. It happens every election cycle, from BOTH sides.

It should be a condition of any presidential candidate receiving public funds. They should be required to take part in a pre-determined number of debates. It should have been part of the campaign finance reform bill. After all, the debates are for OUR benefit not the candidates. It's the only time we can get an unfiltered discussion of the issues.
well said. I agree completely.
If we could establish mandatory debates under consistent rules, we'd avoid a great deal of acrimony in every race.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 01:09 PM

Dead heat? No.
Most objective observers would say that Kerry has the advantage right now. I don't believe any challenger has ever been in a better position in the polls and ended up losing to the incumbent. Bush has the joe-mentum right now, with the swift boat thing and the GOP convention, but you folks are kidding yourselves if you think Bush is ahead.

This has all the current polls:

As I read this, Bush is ahead in 5, Kerry is ahead in 3, and they're tied in 3. Undecideds are around 5-10%, and the majority of undecideds don't vote for incumbents. It obviously could go either way, but Kerry has the advantage right now.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 01:14 PM

Most objective observers would say that Kerry has the advantage right now.

You HAVE to be kidding me ! AAAAAAAHHAHAHA
Talk about head in the sand.

I guess that is why Kerry is trying to act more conservative and more like Bush huh?

Kerry has the advantage... heh.. boy I actually laughed out loud on that one.

Thanks BRussell.

LoganCharles
Banned
Sep 3, 2004, 01:19 PM

Bush will win as long as there is not another terrorist attack on American soil before the election. I would say that there is a 50/50 chance we'll see one.

If Paddy wasn't so worried he wouldn't be posting his whinny little topics.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 01:22 PM

...has the joe-mentum right now,
Ha.

Nice reference. It seems like so long ago that we could laugh at this stuff.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 01:30 PM

You HAVE to be kidding me ! AAAAAAAHHAHAHA
Talk about head in the sand.

I guess that is why Kerry is trying to act more conservative and more like Bush huh?

Kerry has the advantage... heh.. boy I actually laughed out loud on that one.

Thanks BRussell. [/B]
I admit that it's very close right now, and Bush is showing some recent gains, but can you specify how Bush has the advantage? I've given you my reason for thinking Kerry has the advantage - the challenger/undecideds issue, which I think every political observer recognizes as valid, at least based on history. Likewise, the incumbent's approval ratings generally put a limit on the votes they get, and Bush is still below 50% right now.

Whatever happens, it doesn't validate or invalidate my personal beliefs in the slightest, and it shouldn't yours either. I'd be willing to admit if my candidate was in bad shape. It wouldn't bother me at all. I'd just complain that the rest of the country are a bunch of nitwits.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Didn't Kerry say that Bush would win the debates?
On the Daily Show Kerry said that Bush is a very good debater that has won all of his previous debates.

EDIT: Kerry added that he was looking forward to the debates. There was no mention, at that time, of Bush winning the 2004 debates.
( Last edited by E's Lil Theorem; Sep 3, 2004 at 01:36 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2004, 01:45 PM

Could you link me to those polls? Thanks.
Is your AOL broken? Google it.

It took me 30 seconds to find this tidbit on CNN, dated September 2nd:
(CNN) -- Republicans and Democrats are paying increased attention to young voters this election season, as President Bush and Sen. Kerry continue to be virtually tied in many polls.

Lerkfish  (op)
Sep 3, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
On the Daily Show Kerry said that Bush is a very good debater that has won all of his previous debates.

EDIT: Kerry added that he was looking forward to the debates. There was no mention, at that time, of Bush winning the 2004 debates.
Kerry was sending a deceptive lob in the repub's court. He's intentionally setting the bar HIGH for bush's performance, instead of how the media and pundits set the bar so low you have to remove the floor and several layers of substrate for him to slither under it.

In other Kerry knows better than to buy into the "as long as shrub doesn't defecate himself, he WINS!" attitude that prevailed in the Bush-Gore debates.

additionally, how many debates has George been in? I believe only two, one set with Gore and once before being appointed governor.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
I think most people will vote for whoever the foreigners don't like.
Well, you know Osama LOVES Bush - so you'll be voting for Kerry?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Is your AOL broken? Google it.

It took me 30 seconds to find this tidbit on CNN, dated September 2nd:
Yes CNN would say "virtually tied" when Bush is on top. The very little time he wasn't, they reported it as "Kerry leading"

Funny how that works.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 02:05 PM

Did he tell you that on your own special Al-qaeda phone?

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 02:06 PM

Yes CNN would say "virtually tied" when Bush is on top. The very little time he wasn't, they reported it as "Kerry leading"

Funny how that works.
Yeah it is funny how liberals side with liberals... CNN would say they were tied even if Bush was ahead by 20 points!

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 02:07 PM

My guess is that Osama and other terrorists want anyone but Bush in office... Hence the speculation that they might try something before the election.

Forum Links
Forum Rules