Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Digital camera movie mode ... thoughts on quality ?

Digital camera movie mode ... thoughts on quality ?
Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 12:52 AM

Hey forums, I'm planning on purchasing the recently released Canon PowerShot A400 which claims to have 3 "movie modes": (160x120, 320x240, 640x480). Now .. while I certainly don't expect DV movie level quality, I'd love to hear from anyone who has a similar camera regarding the movie quality these things actually produce.
Questions:
Anyone have a recent model Canon with a 640x480 movie mode ?
Would you consider the 640x480 mode good enough to actually send to someone else ?
I couldn't find anything regarding the FPS of these movies. I'm assuming ~15fps ... what sort of frame rates do you actually experience ?
I'm assuming the audio will be horrible, but does the video actually look like video or or a choppy, web movie?
Can you tell me anything about what format the native movie is in (.mov ? .avi ? ) and what are the date rates (k/sec)
Anybody know of a place I could view a sample move made from one of these things ? (in 640x480 mode)

Note: I'm NOT buying this thing for movies .. just wondering if that "feature" is actually something useable of just shite. This camera was released so recently, I haven't seen any in stores yet to give it a try.

Gra�ias in advance

jeffnudi
Sep 16, 2004, 01:00 AM

Check out the review by Steve's Digicams at http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...a400_pg3.html.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 01:03 AM

my friend has (i think) the A75, which takes amazingly good quality movies at 640x480. I was really surprised how good they looked, considering they're coming from a digital camera.

"I start fires!"

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by jeffnudi:
Check out the review by Steve's Digicams at http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...a400_pg3.html.
thanks .. your link was dead for some reason, but I found the main review page their. Much Appreciated. -- I'm reading it now.

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
my friend has (i think) the A75, which takes amazingly good quality movies at 640x480. I was really surprised how good they looked, considering they're coming from a digital camera.
Yeah, a buddy of mine had a Canon <something> that is nearly 3 years old. Only did 320x240 .. the picture quality was EXCELLENT but it was very jumpy. That's why I was wondering if things had improved .. especially with movies that are twice as tall and twice as wide (i.e. 4x the number of pixels than a 320x240).

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 01:24 AM

Well, the conclusion of that review was nice -- good entry level camera, has some manual adjustments that some point-and-shoots don't . Thanks for the input, guys.

Too bad the 640x480 mode looks to be a dismal 10fps. Which I guess answers my question ... it appears that this camera won't really make decent video at 640x480 .. though the lower resolutions look a bit more promising.

[edit] For anyone else who may be interested, I found a 640x480 movie sample take by the (much more expensive) A95. However, the video specs are the same -- so I'd expect similar from the A400. Tad choppy 6.4mb movie
( Last edited by Krusty; Sep 16, 2004 at 01:46 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules