Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is .mac a valid FTP host ??

Is .mac a valid FTP host ??
Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2003, 04:11 PM

Does anyone know if you can ftp to your iDisk ? (i.e. is the .mac server a valid ftp host)

I understand how to ftp, so I'm not looking for a tutorial in that ... just need to know:
what I would use as a hostname (ftp://homepage.mac.com/username doesn't work). I assume I'd just use my .mac username and password. I'm trying to set up a system that modifies a local html page and then posts it to my iDisk via FTP. Using iDisk's auto-synching is NOT what I want to do if I can help it -- it takes wayyyyy too long to go though all the "checking for changes" etc etc ... and this is going to be a tiny little (<1k) web page.

Gra�ias in advance.

Ganesha
Senior User
Nov 26, 2003, 04:24 PM

Turn off autosync and do it manually.

.Mac a WebDEV so you need a WebDEV client.

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Ganesha:
Turn off autosync and do it manually.

.Mac a WebDEV so you need a WebDEV client.
Thanks for both points. I do have autosync turned off (and don't want to turn it on for this) which is why I was trying to find an alternate way to get files up to my .mac folders. Hmmmm ... guess I'll have to break out AppleScript pass the local path of the modified file to a WebDAV client of some sort.

Thanks

:XI:
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 09:39 PM

can't you mount idisks with afp:// ? i seem to remember doing it this way in the itools days.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2003, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
can't you mount idisks with afp:// ? i seem to remember doing it this way in the itools days.
That is either dead, or will be VERY soon.

Apple is going (has gone) totally webdav now.

-Owl

MikeD
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 10:46 PM

Does this still apply even today? Still can't ftp to .mac?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by MikeD:
Does this still apply even today? Still can't ftp to .mac?
Wow, you pulled this thread up from oblivion. After making this post, I researched the topic a little more.

NO ...

FTP and WebDAV are competing protocols. .Mac iDisk support WebDAV so you'll have to use something other than FTP to get files up and down from your iDisk. I can't remember what I ended up doing to solve the problem I had at the time ... but I know it didn't involve FTP.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Wow, you pulled this thread up from oblivion. After making this post, I researched the topic a little more.

NO ...

FTP and WebDAV are competing protocols. .Mac iDisk support WebDAV so you'll have to use something other than FTP to get files up and down from your iDisk. I can't remember what I ended up doing to solve the problem I had at the time ... but I know it didn't involve FTP.
I remember back in the day I'd use Goliath to connect to WebDAV servers... then for awhile I used Cadaver in the command line for WebDAV connectivity, worked just like command line FTP. Way cool.

Anyone know why WebDAV is a competitor to FTP? I mean, why reinvent the wheel? I wonder what's so special about it? Surely it must do something cool, the Finder supports mounting WebDAV shares...
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Anyone know why WebDAV is a competitor to FTP? I mean, why reinvent the wheel? I wonder what's so special about it? Surely it must do something cool, the Finder supports mounting WebDAV shares...
That's part of it, actually; WebDAV is much better about metadata and things like that. But the real problem with FTP is its security, or rather its lack thereof.

FTP gets the job done, but it -like many common Internet protocols- was designed in a time when people weren't concerned about computer security, when the GUI was nothing but a pipedream, and when Unix was considered bloated. The times have changed.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 09:40 PM

Couldn't you have just made an alias of your iDisk folder on you desktop and drag/dropped your new page to that?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2004, 02:01 PM

If you want to program your system in Cocoa Apple has a dotMacKit SDK framework that can do this for you.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

MikeD
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 11:37 PM

See, it just seems that everytime I work with my iDisk uploading and moving files around, it just seems soooo slow! I just don't get it. Then when I work with files on a server at work with FTP, everything just transfers so fast and easy.

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by MikeD:
See, it just seems that everytime I work with my iDisk uploading and moving files around, it just seems soooo slow! I just don't get it. Then when I work with files on a server at work with FTP, everything just transfers so fast and easy.

Mike
That may be more a function of your connection at work vs. your connection at home (or your connection to work vs. the speed Apple's .Mac connection, if that's what you meant).

I haven't really noticed any particular slowness of my iDisk compared to FTP. My real upload speed from my home machine maxes out at about 320kbps .. both protocols seem to work about as fast as the other.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 07:30 AM

I never use the finder to manage my iDisk. I find it very slow. I really like using Goliath It's much faster than the finder and is as fast as using FTP (with anything but the finder)
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Forum Links
Forum Rules