Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Data transfer from G3 to Intel iMac?

Data transfer from G3 to Intel iMac?
cms
Senior User
Jan 23, 2006, 04:38 AM

This is possibly a stupid question but here goes: Anyone know if it is possible to transfer data from an iMac G3 DV500 Special Edition running OS 9 to a new Intel iMac via the firewire/Migration Assistant? I have searched the site and can find positive answers to similar questions regarding firewire/Migration Assistant transfer of data from G4 and G5 iMacs but can find nothing on the old G3s. Any advice/information would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2006, 06:17 AM

The Migration Assistant has two requirements:

1. The old computer has firewire (and supports target disk mode)

2. The old computer ran OS X (10.1 or higher, with 10.2 being the minimum version for a "complete" migration)
<This space under renovation>

cms  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2006, 06:21 AM

Many thanks for you reply. The old iMac is still running OS 9 (I don't know which version) so, while it has firewire and can be booted in target disk mode, it obviously isn't going to work. Never mind. I can drop the data onto an external firewire disk instead.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2006, 07:28 AM

Well, assuming it supports target disk mode, there's no reason to put stuff on an external disk. Just use target disk mode and your old iMac will become an external disk from the point of view of your new computer.

goofticket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 10:43 AM

I set my old G3 for start file sharing and then popped a Cat5 into the ethernet ports on the G3 and the InteliMac and opened iTunes.
As saavy as the macs are, it asked if I wanted to import my itunes Music folder...I clicked yes and all 678MB of tune-age was loading over. Everything plays fine and it even kept any EQ settings i had for each song.
It also mounted the ATA and the SCSI drives on my 266/G3 wihtout a glitch.
Then I decides to import all that I could...from everything.
It also then decided to import all my iPhoto stuff
Then I told safari to import all my stuff from Firefox.
I like this machine, but I have yet to have a bad mac or a bad experience with a mac...
except in college, when some bozo poured soda into the keyboard of a Mac II si.
One the graphics lab was booted the next morning, that old mac decided to have a spontaneous combustion experience. Fortunately, it was only used as a printer server and not a workstation.
I am also amazed and how fast it imports files from a CD!

Forum Links
Forum Rules