Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail and signatures

Mail and signatures
cms
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 08:51 AM

I had been using Etourage to manage my emails but decided to switch back to the enhanced Apple Mail with the upgrade to Tiger. In Entourage, I was able to add my company logo to my email signatures but have been unable to do this in Mail. Am I missing something simple or is it really not possible?

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 09:01 AM

drag the image into the signature edit window
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

cms  (op)
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
drag the image into the signature edit window
I have tried that but it won't accept a jpeg file, which was no problem with Entourage. I've tried copying and pasting and I end up with the same problem -- i.e., it will display on my computer because that is where the image is stored but does not show up on any computers I send email to. All they get is a question mark where the image should be. Any help with this would really be appreciated. Thanks!

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 11:29 AM

That is strange. I just deleted my signature and made it again, with a jpeg. I made a new sig, did Cmd+v to paste the image in place and voila. I did notice the image didn't really want to stay there unless there was also text in the sig, have you tried that? Add some text and paste the image in below. Worked for me.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

ehunt
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by cms
I have tried that but it won't accept a jpeg file, which was no problem with Entourage. I've tried copying and pasting and I end up with the same problem -- i.e., it will display on my computer because that is where the image is stored but does not show up on any computers I send email to. All they get is a question mark where the image should be. Any help with this would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry dude you are SOL, you can do a search on some previous posts on HTML emails in Mail. I have tried several different methods to get a picture to show up and no method worked in every type of recipient (web based yahoo or gmail, exchange servers on a PC etc..). Same thing for fonts even. So whenever I want to send an email with an image in the body I use Entourage...as lame as it sounds this probably the biggest thing I was waiting for in Tiger
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

cms  (op)
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ehunt
Sorry dude you are SOL, you can do a search on some previous posts on HTML emails in Mail. I have tried several different methods to get a picture to show up and no method worked in every type of recipient (web based yahoo or gmail, exchange servers on a PC etc..). Same thing for fonts even. So whenever I want to send an email with an image in the body I use Entourage...as lame as it sounds this probably the biggest thing I was waiting for in Tiger
I, too, had expected this to be fixed in Tiger, which is one of the reasons I switched back from Entourage! All very irritating indeed. A rather clumsy workaround is to add the image manually each time I send an email. It certainly work OK but is rather long-winded. I'm obviously not the only one who is disappointed and frustrated by the lack of HTML facilities in Mail, so what are the chances this will be addressed in a (not-too-distant) Tiger update, do you suppose?

Buck_W
Senior User
Jun 29, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by cms
I, too, had expected this to be fixed in Tiger, which is one of the reasons I switched back from Entourage! All very irritating indeed. A rather clumsy workaround is to add the image manually each time I send an email. It certainly work OK but is rather long-winded. I'm obviously not the only one who is disappointed and frustrated by the lack of HTML facilities in Mail, so what are the chances this will be addressed in a (not-too-distant) Tiger update, do you suppose?
I didn't want to start a new thread on this. I've recently added a jpeg image as my signature. It shows up fine in all my outgoing emails, but no one is receiving it. Are there any workarounds? This is reminscent of the resource fork debacle in earlier versions of mail.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by cms
I doubt it will be addressed in a 10.4.x update, but it could in be addressed in 10.5. Don't forget, if you want something in a new version of anything apple, go here:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
I have already sent in my request for this to be added!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2006, 08:00 PM

Try converting it to a gif file. Those work for me in the signature box.

Buck_W
Senior User
Jun 30, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Old Toad
I'll give it a try. The .jpg file was a simple "drag and drop" procedure and it showed up fine on my end. But practically all my emails that go to folks with PC's either do not see it at all, or it shows up as an attachment. I tried searching the discussion boards at Apple and the few "work arounds" are outrageously complicated. Since Apple has set the bar in practically every area related to personal computing, you would assume that something as simple as a signature would "work like a Mac" as well

cms  (op)
Senior User
Jul 1, 2006, 03:21 AM

I just tried this, and it seems to work OK -- it certainly showed up on a friend's webmail with no problem. Do you know, btw, why this does seem to work, while the same doesn't seem possible with the jpeg equivalent?

Buck_W
Senior User
Jul 2, 2006, 08:33 PM

The .gif file comes in as an attachment for users with PC's using Outlook

Forum Links
Forum Rules