Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Odd question about ATT/bellsouth DSL/phone true cost

Odd question about ATT/bellsouth DSL/phone true cost
Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2009, 12:40 AM

OK. I have a strange question about the real bill you get from ATT in the former Bellsouth region (southeast US). I'm hoping someone has the exact bundle I'm hoping to get but am interested in hearing from anyone who has an ATT bill and can share what their true cost is.

I formerly has such a bundle but the cost with all the taxes and fees was exorbitant. I ended up going with a dry DSL line and Vonage service but the new bundles look quite reasonable and comparable to having split services and the Vonage service is no longer that appealing.

Anyway, the bundle I'm looking at is the "All distance" package at 40/mo + 42.95 for their top speed of DSL. With a bundle discount of $10, the total base cost is 72.95. I know there are FCC charges on top of this and the Bellsouth rep tells me they are 7.24 bringing the total cost to 80.19 before tax. The DSL portion includes tax but I'm assuming a couple dollars more for tax on the phone portion. So, I'm guessing about $85/mo total cost.

Does this sound right? Anyone with an ATT/Bellsouth bundle care to share what their nominal "plan" is supposed to cost and what they actually pay .... And preferably let me know what other items are on their bill and the cost. Any help would be appreciated before I take the plunge back to a POTS line. The reps are notoriously vague about what my actual final bill would be.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Jan 29, 2009, 01:17 AM

All I can tell you bill will be higher than what the tell you it will be. Even when I have asked about the taxes and fees they leave stuff off when quoting me prices. Also they try to sell you up know matter what the reason you call. If it's a billing issue they'll try to get you to change to a higher priced package before they deal with the issue. If it's a technical issue they'll still try sell stuff before dealing with the problem.

I'm grandfathered in on a package with my cell/land line/directv. I'm scared shitless about calling them for anything out of fear they'll do somehting that will end up costing me $20-$30 more per month.

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2009, 01:39 AM

Thanks. That's sort of what I'm being wary of. I went out of my way to ask about what the additional costs would be but I'm a little untrusting. Their "dry" DSL
service has been great ($5 surcharge for not having a landline so it's 47.95 but it has been exactly $47.95 .... No extra taxes or fees). But with it at $48 and my Vonage service right at $32 inclusive of taxes and fees, i'm paying right at $80 anyway. If this bundle is truly about $80-ish, I'll switch back because I have run in to a glitch or two with the vonage service and have had a couple instances where I really needed a POTS line and have had rare(but annoying) quality issues from time to time when the phone was competing with a big download.

If I may ask, what is the cost of the phone section of your bill (i.e. What is the supposed cost of your "plan" and what is your actual bottom line at then end of your phone
section ?

P. S. Sorry bout the cumbersome posts ---- I'm doing the whole thing on an iPhone now that my iBook finally died :-(

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2009, 12:05 PM

AT&T (in Los Angeles - I don't know if it affects you) has decided to tamper with my DSL service. This was done across the board because of their recent deal with riaa (or so I read on Gizmodo). All I know is that all torrents (legal and illegal) are 100% blocked. Hurumph.

The reason I mention it is because of bundles: I have the Dish/Telephone/DSL bundle, but now that I want to switch internet providers, I have to deal with un-bundling and figuring out what it means to those other services rather than just dealing with my one single problem.

I realize what you are doing is cheaper than not bundling; I just wanted to throw out my current situation as food for thought should circumstances change down the road.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Jan 29, 2009, 07:07 PM

I pay $46.35 for a $35 plan for local calling and $27.15 for a $21.99 unlimited long distance plan. I get $10/month off of my cell phone plan and $10/month off of my directv bill with the package I have.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 29, 2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Big-C View Post
AT&T (in Los Angeles - I don't know if it affects you) has decided to tamper with my DSL service. This was done across the board because of their recent deal with riaa (or so I read on Gizmodo). All I know is that all torrents (legal and illegal) are 100% blocked.
File a complaint with the FCC, citing the Comcast decision. FCC policy is that ISPs are not allowed to discriminate based on the type of traffic.

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2009, 08:05 PM

Why thank you - I WILL file a complaint!

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2009, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Montezuma58 View Post
I pay $46.35 for a $35 plan for local calling and $27.15 for a $21.99 unlimited long distance plan. I get $10/month off of my cell phone plan and $10/month off of my directv bill with the package I have.
Thanks! So you are actually paying $11.35 and $5.16 ($16.51 total) on what is $56.99 of phone services ---- so about 20% when all is said and done. If I could get away with something similar to that, I think I could live with that.
I'm still wondering if anyone has the exact ($40 local + long distance plan the are hawking here in Charleston, SC). Wonder if there will be separate assesments on the local and long distance or just one bundle of fees on the whole enchillada.

Forum Links
Forum Rules