Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > dSLR choice

dSLR choice
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2009, 05:13 PM

Not sure if this is the right forum/place for this, but I'm tempted to get a dSLR to replace my Canon S45. I need to be able to do 'a bit more' even though I know sweet FA about photography. Been looking at dpreview, bestinclass for digital cameras, the customer reviews on Amazon etc and I reckon that the Nikon D60 might be what I need. I'll be initially using it to take pictures of my kids so it'll be indoors and outdoors usage and in the future taking pics of kids sports and stuff.

1) For those that know about digital SLRs, what's your view on my choice? Is this too much camera for a complete noob?

2) What lens should I initially get? I see that people rave about having a 50mm. Views?

I presume that this beast would work nicely with my iMac. I will not be doing Photoshop stuff on the images, if iPhoto doesn't allow me to do something to a photograph then I don't do it.

Cheers.

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2009, 05:40 PM

Canon/Nikon fight in 3...2...1...

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2009, 05:43 PM

I love Nikon and have used them for over 30 years. A great company with a great history.

That said, Canon makes good cameras as well. Just about any digital slr will have "idiot settings" for point and shoot use, and you can work your way up to manual control. Best of luck!

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2009, 06:03 PM

The obligatory Leica mention..... Digilux3, or for the big spenders an M8.2

But if it has to be a Nikon/Canon DSLR.... personally i prefer Canon.

Now.... to confuse you even more.....
When i got to the point where i wanted more control from my camera... i steered away from DSLR primarily because of size/weight and price. I ended up with a Leica D-Lux 3 (this was in late 2006) that has a lot of manual controls, but a fixed lens... but it's also small enough to carry anywhere. Now, unless you have your heart set on a DSLR it might be worth your time to consider cameras in this class (semi-pro/pro-sumer) (example Leica D-Lux 4 or Canon G10).

For me the D-Lux3 has been a great learning tool of photography without having to over complicate or over simply the whole process. (I had only used basic p-n-s cameras prior)

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 17, 2009 at 06:14 PM. )

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2009, 06:07 PM

There's really no canon/nikon fight to be had.

Both make good camera. If I were you, I'd get the cheap kit lens (18-55) and a cheap fast prime (50mm f/1.8) to start and start learning about photography. You'll only need better lenses once your photographic skills are of better quality than your lenses. Once you get a sense for what kind of lenses you want/need you can start making more expensive purchases.

ImpulseResponse

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2009, 06:24 PM

Hawkeye_a, I did actually consider one of the pro-sumer type cameras, in particular the G10 from Canon, then my colleague showed me why he changed his Canon S40 for an SLR and showed me the results with a decent zoom lens on a Canon 350 something or other. I like the idea of the G10 but with a 5x zoom it seems limited. I shall have a look at your Leica though.

Cheers for the comments guys, keep 'em coming.
( Last edited by mattyb; Mar 17, 2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: That Leica D-Lux 4 isn't cheap !!!!!)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 17, 2009, 06:53 PM

Canon 350D is (an old version) of the Rebel XTi (or whatever the most recent incarnation is called—too lazy to Google it).

The only ‘correct’ answer anyone can give you when it comes to choosing an entry dSLR is ergonomics. Whether you choose a Nikon or a Canon (or a Pentax, Olympus, Leica—whatever), and almost regardless of which lenses you choose, the camera will (no offence intended) be capable of taking far better pictures than you most likely are with your first dSLR. Since you’re starting from scratch (i.e., you don’t have a big pile of lenses for one or the other make that you need to keep compatibility with), the only thing that really matters and will affect how much (or even if) you end up liking your new camera, and that’s how the camera feels in your hand when you’re using it.

For me personally, Canon wins. Nikons just don’t feel right to me. Buttons are in odd places, and the shapes feel clunky, somehow.

There are, however plenty of people who could the exact same sentence, but switch “Canon” and “Nikon”. It’s completely individual.

So go to photo stores and play around with as many different cameras as you can, and choose based on that. Having an idea of whether there are lots of lenses available for the camera is a good thing, ’cause you’ll most likely end up with the Lens Lust™ like the rest of us and want to buy more down the line—but ergonomics is still number one.

And a 5x zoom is plenty. That’s the equivalent of a 17–85 mm lens, more or less, which is the kit lens for the Canon 50D (and probably others, too). It’s a great lens, and the range is enough for most situations. There’s no real comparison between a G10 zoomed in to 5x normal, and a dSLR with a 17–85 mm lens zoomed in at 85 mm, though. No comparison at all.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I know sweet FA about photography. Been looking at dpreview, bestinclass for digital cameras, the customer reviews on Amazon etc and I reckon that the Nikon D60 might be what I need.
I'm a DSLR newbie with a D60, purchased because I could get the camera with the twin VR lens kit for a good price. I'm reasonably happy with it, although it didn't take me a week before starting to discover its limitations.

There's no automatic exposure bracketing on the D60, which is a bit of a nuisance, and only three focal points in auto focus. New lenses will cost more because there's no motor in the D60 camera body (it's in the lens). FWIW, I paid for the AF-S 50mm f/1.4G lens, and the kit lenses have been on the shelf ever since.

A D80 would have been nicer, but as a newbie it was too hard to justify the price.

So many variables when buying a DSLR...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 18, 2009, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
FWIW, I paid for the AF-S 50mm f/1.4G lens
How much is that in euros?

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2009, 05:38 AM

Face Ache, how important is 'automatic exposure bracketing'? I don't even know what that means !

Yeah, I agree with the variables problem - how am I supposed to know what I need in/on a camera to 'make that step up' as it were. And yes, some of the prices are unjustifiable for a noob like me.

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2009, 05:47 AM

I shall have a look at your Leica though.
Before you look at the Leica I'd recommend looking at the Lumix DMC-L1! It's the exact same camera with a slightly different firmeware but MUCH cheaper!
It doesn't have 1 billion pixels but that's not important anyway...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 18, 2009, 06:21 AM

Face Ache, how important is 'automatic exposure bracketing'? I don't even know what that means !
It’s when you set the camera to bracket the exposure in your shot automatically, meaning you’ll take three pictures in rapid succession: one at EV 0, and then one at EV -0.3 and one at EV +0.3. (Of course, EV 0 doesn’t have to be EV 0—you can choose your desired ‘middle’ value, just as you can choose whether you want the bracketing to be at 0.3 intervals or whatever).

It’s not something that’s really terribly important for snapshots (or at least, I don’t use it much for snapshots). But if you want to shoot HDR, it’s very useful. (If you do want to shoot HDR, make sure to give Railroader a wide berth, or at least check for sharp instruments)

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2009, 06:33 AM

Yeah, I agree with the variables problem - how am I supposed to know what I need in/on a camera to 'make that step up' as it were.
Take a deep breath, make a decision and then live with it.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2009, 07:53 AM

OK, I guess that because I'm jumping backwards and forwards between what I can buy in France and the reviews on US based websites that I didn't really 'get' what type of camera this was. They call it a 'bridge' in France, I guess that its a pro-sumer in the US. The credit card is ready. Plus my colleague (with the 350 and his 500€ lens) says that if it had existed before, he would have bought it.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 18, 2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
It’s when you set the camera to bracket the exposure in your shot automatically, meaning you’ll take three pictures in rapid succession: one at EV 0, and then one at EV -0.3 and one at EV +0.3. (Of course, EV 0 doesn’t have to be EV 0—you can choose your desired ‘middle’ value, just as you can choose whether you want the bracketing to be at 0.3 intervals or whatever).

It’s not something that’s really terribly important for snapshots (or at least, I don’t use it much for snapshots). But if you want to shoot HDR, it’s very useful. (If you do want to shoot HDR, make sure to give Railroader a wide berth, or at least check for sharp instruments)
ARG!!! Did someone mention HDR?!?!

Kidding aside, seriously, do NOT dabble in HDR.

OK, being very serious, STAY AWAY FROM HDR!!!

Now, on topic: Pentax makes a good basic DSLR. I also think the new Canon XS is pretty nice. The kit lens is slightly better than "OK". But I also highly suggest getting the cheap 50mm f/1.8 no matter what brand you chose.

The main advantage most people new to DSLRs notice is the nearly instant ability to take a picture. Flip the switch, auto-focus is near instant, press shutter and take a picture. Point-n-shoot cameras would still be booting up and extending the lens.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
or for the big spenders an M8.2
sigh

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero View Post
There's really no canon/nikon fight to be had.

Both make good camera. If I were you, I'd get the cheap kit lens (18-55) and a cheap fast prime (50mm f/1.8) to start and start learning about photography. You'll only need better lenses once your photographic skills are of better quality than your lenses. Once you get a sense for what kind of lenses you want/need you can start making more expensive purchases.
I'm not big on the kit lenses, but I can definitely vouch for a good, fast 50mm. Learn to use aperture-priority mode with that lens, and you'll snag some great portraits.

I'm a Canon guy myself, mainly because of their prime lenses and ergonomics, which fit my smaller hands. I'm not sure what it is, but I find the colors from Canons to be a little more vibrant.

But both Nikon and Canon make fantastic cameras. You can't go wrong with them. Fuji, Olympus, and Pentax have their supporters too, but I believe you hear about Nikon and Canon the most for a reason.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2009, 01:12 PM

Is that a typo for the price of the Leica M8 ?

5000€ ???????

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 18, 2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
The main advantage most people new to DSLRs notice is the nearly instant ability to take a picture. Flip the switch, auto-focus is near instant, press shutter and take a picture. Point-n-shoot cameras would still be booting up and extending the lens.
That's what I love about my Canon SD750 - startup time is about the same as a flashlight.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2009, 01:45 PM

If you are new to DSLR, then go with Nikon or Canon for the simple reason they have the best selection of lenses. Don't worry so much about what body or megapixels it has and invest your money in lenses. Even with a 6 megapixel DSLR you are going to get good shots. As others have recommended, a 50mm fast lens is good, but I'm afraid if you are new to DSLR, the POV or angle of view might be too tight. Ask yourself, what do you primarily want to shoot? I'd go with a 30mm 1.4 because unless you buy a full frame DSLR, a 50mm lens is going to be around 75mm which is good for mostly just portrait work. Most DSLR have an APS-C size sensor, which is smaller than a traditional full frame film camera. A 50mm lens on a full frame sensor is about the same angle of view as what the human eye sees, but on an APS-C sensor a 30mm is equivalent to a 50mm due to the approximate 1.5 conversion factor.

I'm still drunk from last nights St. Patty's shenanigans, but to give you an idea, these were shot last night of a friends band with a 30mm 1.4 in a dark bar. I've got a 50mm, but I didn't use it because it would have been too tight to get any decent shots.

These were shot with a 12mm so you get an idea of how wide a POV you get.

I'll post some shots with a 50mm later, so you get an idea of how tight the angle of view is.
( Last edited by waxcrash; Mar 18, 2009 at 01:57 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2009, 02:20 PM

Taken on a Canon 40D with a 50mm f/1.2:

Look at how her left eye (from our perspective) is in focus, but the eye on the right is already dropping out of focus. This was a super-tight shot too; a tiny bit closer than I'd prefer to be to a subject.

I can definitely support what waxcrash just said. It's all about the lenses. Invest your money in good glass.

calverson
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2009, 02:28 PM

Nikon D90, with a 50mm f/1.8

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2009, 03:05 PM

Here's a 30mm 1.4 - has a similar depth of field as the 50mm samples that Jawbone54 and calverson posted, but you can fit more in the shot.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2009, 03:16 PM

Nice pictures. I'm pretty convinced that I'll get the Canon SX10 IS after looking at prices for the Canon SLRs, Nikon SLRs and the associated lenses. I have the money, but I really can't justify spending that much on equipment, that Nikon D90 is 1000€, the Canon 40D the same. Thats outside of the budget that I wanted to spend (I've got a non-working wife and two kids to support you know!!).

I'm going to order it and will hopefully test it out over Easter in San Sebastian and Bilbao, Northern Spain - lets see if I can get a decent picture of the Guggenheim.

Cheers again for chiming in though.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2009, 03:37 PM

... I'm pretty convinced that I'll get the Canon SX10 IS after looking at prices for the Canon SLRs, Nikon SLRs and the associated lenses....
Quick question...do you see yourself doing landscape photography? The widest the SX10 will go is 28mm which may be a limitation.

These were at 18mm and I wish I went wider.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash View Post
Quick question...do you see yourself doing landscape photography? The widest the SX10 will go is 28mm which may be a limitation.

These were at 18mm and I wish I went wider.
Maybe, but I'm a "take 5 pictures and send the best one attached to an email to the grandparents" type photographer. According to the gallery of images done with the SX10 IS on the Amazon.com page there is a way to 'stitch' photos together for landscape stuff. Sacrilegious to a professional photographer I know but us amateurs ...

Those pictures of yours really are good, are you a 'professional' photographer? IIUC Jawbone54 is, not sure about others on the forum.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2009, 05:12 PM

Is that a typo for the price of the Leica M8 ?

5000€ ???????
Not a typo. Add to that some Leica lenses… now that hurts.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

I can definitely support what waxcrash just said. It's all about the lenses. Invest your money in good glass.

That AND a flashlight. It will make your indoor pictures X1000 times more natural by bouncing the light of a ceiling or a wall and will avoid the need for the "red eye" thingy. You can even get fancy by using it wirelessly (not sure whether that works on the D60)
A 50 mm primer will give a very nice sharp picture for a cheap price, but might indeed be a little too tight due to the magnification effect of cheaper dSLRs as explained above. But it's so cheap it would be a shame not to have one.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 07:51 AM

Maybe, but I'm a "take 5 pictures and send the best one attached to an email to the grandparents" type photographer. According to the gallery of images done with the SX10 IS on the Amazon.com page there is a way to 'stitch' photos together for landscape stuff. Sacrilegious to a professional photographer I know but us amateurs ...

Those pictures of yours really are good, are you a 'professional' photographer? IIUC Jawbone54 is, not sure about others on the forum.
I'd go for a dSLR over that. Much more flexible. And you actually will be able to take sharp pictures of your ever moving kids.

There are lots of software available for panoramic stitching. Calico from Kekus is pretty good for instance.

OreoCookie
Mar 19, 2009, 08:41 AM

For a beginner, the choice of dslr brand is not really that important. People worry too much. I'd suggest you go to a shop with a fixed budget in mind. (It would be helpful if you give us your complete budget that should always include a camera bag, etc.)

Canons and Nikons have quite a different feel to them and if you don't like the feel of brand A, then all the (perceived?) features the camera of brand A has won't be as useful. Try them out. I also suggest you get a sufficiently nice lens. Zoom range is not as important. Tamron's 17-50 f/2.8 is a good beginner's lens that you can get for any lens mount (but Olympus). It's better than any of the 18-50/55 mm kit lenses. Another suggestion would be to get an external flash. At least Nikon makes a very small and affordable flash, the SB-400 that is worlds better than any built-in flash. Although a nice lens and a flash are optional, a good bag is not! I like Loewe Pro bags -- which are not as stylish as Crumpler's bags, but functional.

What's your total budget?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2009, 09:40 AM

I just bought it from Amazon after holding it at the nearest camera store : 350€ ($480) for the camera, a bag and a 4G memory stick. I also (after reading on a forum) bought a Lensmate SX10 & SX1 Filter Adapter 58mm and a Hoya Linear Polarizer (double coated) 58mm, from these guys.

The camera alone is 320€ so I don't think that I got a bad deal. Should arrive in a few days.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2009, 12:10 AM

Those pictures of yours really are good, are you a 'professional' photographer? ...
Thanks. No pro. Just a big hobby. Occasionally do some freelance stuff for friends. I originally learned how to shoot in college developing black and white with the famous Pentax K1000. I jumped on the DSLR bandwagon when the Nikon D70 and Canon Digital Rebel came out about 5 years ago. I've got more invested in lenses, tripod, ballhead, etc. than what my camera is worth. I went with Nikon at the time because the D70 was clearly the better camera. If I was getting into DSLR today, I'd probably go with Canon though. I've shot with both Nikon and Canon, and prefer the Nikon for ergonomics (easier for me to shoot with one hand) and better build quality, but I feel Canon's image quality is a little better - especially at low light.

I just bought it from Amazon after holding it at the nearest camera store : 350€ ($480) for the camera, a bag and a 4G memory stick. I also (after reading on a forum) bought a Lensmate SX10 & SX1 Filter Adapter 58mm and a Hoya Linear Polarizer (double coated) 58mm, from these guys.

The camera alone is 320€ so I don't think that I got a bad deal. Should arrive in a few days.
Congrats. Don't forget to post some photos and let us know what you think. Once you get your camera, the best advice I can give you is take your camera with you everywhere you go anytime you leave the house. It may feel awkward like you are a tourist at first, but you'll get used to it. I can't tell you how many cool photos I've shot when I least expected it and was happy to have my camera with me. Sometimes you'll see the craziest or coolest stuff like an unusual sunset when you are simply doing something as mundane as walking or driving home for work.

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Mar 23, 2009, 05:12 PM

So, what camera did you buy in the end?.
I have a Canon 400D and I took a lot of pictures with the kit lens. Now I'm mostly shooting with a vintage EF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5.

my Flickr

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2009, 07:01 PM

I got the SX10 IS today and I've been fooling around with it tonight. It was dark by the time I finished browsing the manual so the only photos have been indoors, desk, kids toys etc. I need to print out the manual and have a good sit-down to read it.

Typical : we've had wonderful weather for the past two weeks, but tomorrow its going to rain, and get cloudy. Perfect timing as usual.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2009, 08:07 PM

cloudy light can be great for portraits

Stegabot
Mar 23, 2009, 08:48 PM

Honestly , the best DSLR is the one that works best for you , it does not matter if your choice is a Canon , a Nikon , Leica , Olympus , Sony or Pentax . If you will invest in a Nikon Camera or a Canon , for an all around lens , get the 18-200 mm lens as a starter lens . It's an excellent all around camera lens .
Computers are tools that we use and are the extension of our brains,not the other way around.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2009, 11:48 AM

After shooting with Canon for two years, I've made a drastic change...

I'm not going to bore you guys with the long, drawn out story, but I had a MAJOR blow-up with Canon. The company absolutely flipped me the bird, and so I packed up my bags and left them behind.

I was able to buy a D700 for about $500 less than I could've got a 5D Mark II, so I bought the Nikon, the 85mm f/1.4D, and have put my old Canon gear up for sale. This was all helped along by the fact that I've shot with both the 5D Mark II and D700, and was a bit more impressed/comfortable with the D700. I'll pick up the 135mm and probably a 35mm in the next month.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2009, 01:49 PM

Just outside of my building is a small man made lake, and I tested out the zoom of the PowerShot this evening.

No editing done, uploaded to iPhoto and then to Dropbox. I put the camera on a small post but there was a bit of wind. Plus I'm not a good photographer - yet - so the piccies are shite.

There you go.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2009, 05:35 PM

No editing done
Resizing included, obviously!

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2009, 05:53 PM

I got the SX10 IS for Christmas and although I am very happy with the quality of the pictures, I find the camera itself VERY difficult to hold. I have rather large hands...not sure if that has anything to do with it. I just think the design could have been a little better. I'm constantly hitting buttons I don't intend to and the thing is always slipping out of my hands. What's your experience so far?

OreoCookie
Mar 24, 2009, 06:09 PM

No, there is no resizing done. None whatsoever
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2009, 06:52 PM

Sorry about the sizes, thought that it would be resized and you click on the image if you want full size. My mistake. Tell me how to resize the image shown in the forum without resizing the actual image and I'll do it.

Atheist, I know what you mean. It is a smallish camera in terms of controls. I'm still getting used to it after the S45. Too soon to give a valid opinion. If I removed my little fingers then it would be a good size.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2009, 07:10 PM

Sorry about the sizes, thought that it would be resized and you click on the image if you want full size. My mistake. Tell me how to resize the image shown in the forum without resizing the actual image and I'll do it.
As far as I know, you can’t. The flavour of bbCode that MacNN uses does not allow you to set width/height parametres for images.

It’s all right now that I’m back on my own (proper) Internet, but just before, I was downstairs leeching on someone’s open (and s-l-o-w!) “Belkin143374083745Hhf28#G_noname” network, and the page was ginormous for about five minutes till the images had finally finished loading.

If I removed my little fingers then it would be a good size.
I’d advise against that particular course of action.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2009, 07:21 PM

Wait for the Canon 500D

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Mar 24, 2009, 11:18 PM

Bump
( Last edited by Nai no Kami; Mar 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Disregard this post. It was made believing I was quoting, when I wasn't)

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Mar 24, 2009, 11:20 PM

I got the SX10 IS today...
Weren't you going to get a dSLR?

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2009, 06:46 AM

^Yeah I was but I couldn't really justify the overall total for a fairly good dSLR. Plus the SX 10 IS came highly recommended for what I wanted to do, my budget and my low level of intelligence.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2009, 10:45 PM

I have the NIkon D80. Love it. My best buddy has a Canon... he loves it but feels cheap and flimsy to me.

The common thing both of us have are great lenses.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
After shooting with Canon for two years, I've made a drastic change...

I'm not going to bore you guys with the long, drawn out story, but I had a MAJOR blow-up with Canon. The company absolutely flipped me the bird, and so I packed up my bags and left them behind.

I was able to buy a D700 for about $500 less than I could've got a 5D Mark II, so I bought the Nikon, the 85mm f/1.4D, and have put my old Canon gear up for sale. This was all helped along by the fact that I've shot with both the 5D Mark II and D700, and was a bit more impressed/comfortable with the D700. I'll pick up the 135mm and probably a 35mm in the next month.
...and we welcome you to the Nikon fold with open arms and a tear of joy in our eyes.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2009, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
...and we welcome you to the Nikon fold with open arms and a tear of joy in our eyes.

Thank you, sir!

I'm really impressed with the D700 so far. I've been shooting indoors at 5,000, 6,400 ISO, and it's better than shooting at 1,600 with the old 40D. I knew the full frame difference would evident pretty quickly, but it's still a giddy feeling to pull off shots in the living room at night with a single small lamp providing the lighting.

The 85mm is just beautiful too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules