Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs RAM

New iMacs RAM
cms
Senior User
May 11, 2011, 07:50 AM

Anyone got a view on 8 GB v. 12 GB RAM in new 27" 2.7 GHz or 3.1 Ghz iMacs? If I buy and install an 8 GB upgrade (2 x 4) independently of Apple, is it worth retaining the stock 4 GB (2 x 2) to give a total of 12? Some seem to suggest that 4, 8 or the full 16 will produce the best performance. I'd be interested in what people think, and why. Thanks

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2011, 07:59 AM

Apple haven't updated their page on upgrading iMac memory for the new models. The 2010 models do not list any advice regarding matched pairs etc, only that i5 or i7 versions will not start with only one DIMM installed in the bottom slots.

Best value at the moment is to add 2x4GB for a total of 12GB. Thats what I'd do.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
May 11, 2011, 09:34 AM

Keep all your RAM. If you do the simplest thing - add two new, matched RAM chips in the two empty slots and keep the existing ones in place - you will have matched RAM after the upgrade as well. There is a small theoretical advantage in latency to only having one chip on each channel, but I have never seen it make a real difference, and having more RAM is always better.

Having matched RAM makes a very small difference with modern chipsets (except for integrated graphics in certain circumstances) but it never hurts either.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

cms  (op)
Senior User
May 11, 2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the replies and for the advice. Very much appreciated. It seems the best way forward is as I thought and I will do as you both suggest

macarooni07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2012, 07:36 PM

I have a question that I have not found so far regarding the original memory that comes with all iMacs...

I am comparing different brands and I want to know why the memory from apple.com is so much more expensive than OWS and Crucial?

Any replies?

Thorzdad
Feb 8, 2012, 07:54 PM

Because they can get away with it.
It's a "convenience" surcharge. Apple puts the memory in for you at the factory. Thus, they mark it up.

macarooni07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2012, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Because they can get away with it.
It's a "convenience" surcharge. Apple puts the memory in for you at the factory. Thus, they mark it up.
Thanks Thor. Seems that I will go with the other Retailers and install the memory myself.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Best value at the moment is to add 2x4GB for a total of 12GB. Thats what I'd do.
This is what I did, with OWC RAM for about $50.00. I've had the machine running for 3 weeks now, and have yet to generate a second swap file. It absolutely flies.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules