Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Lawmakers in EU, US push data agendas following Brussels attack

Lawmakers in EU, US push data agendas following Brussels attack
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 24, 2016, 01:23 PM

The terrorist attack on Brussels has prompted more debate by lawmakers about government access of citizen data, on both sides of the Atlantic. European Union ministers are pushing for more sharing of data between security agencies across the continent, following the deaths of 31 people and injury to approximately 300 others earlier this week in the attack, while the House Homeland Security Committee Chairman urges Congress to move forward on an encryption bill.

According to the Financial Times, European ministers have drawn up a draft statement that calls "for an European legislative blueprint to be drawn by June to enable government to obtain easier access" to "digital evidence." The Register reports this would involve the creation of a "dedicated platform" for live sharing of potential threats between law enforcement agencies, as well as an increased push to finish development of Shengen Information System II, a similar platform to manage crossings across borders.

"We are convinced of the need to... find ways, as a matter of priority, to secure and obtain more quickly and effectively digital evidence," the statement allegedly reads, referencing evidence of attacks provided from the Middle East and some "service providers," which could lead "to improved compliance and direct access by law enforcement authorities." The statement apparently "leans heavily on measures already called for by France's government after November's attacks in Paris, which have still not been achieved."

In the United States, House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Michael McCaul (R-Texas) urges for an encryption bill to move onward. "I think after the (Brussels attack), it's important that Congress does something and that Congress acts," said McCaul according to The Hill.

The bill in question is one created with Senate Intelligence Committee member Senator Mark Warner (D-Virginia) and introduced last month, aiming to examine how law enforcement can access data, and if it can be done without interfering with a citizen's right to privacy. "I hope that in the short term we'll be able to agree on legislation and move forward on this issue," adds Mccaul.

twolf2919
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2016, 01:52 PM

Nothing better than a good tragedy - while fear still runs high - to push through some liberty-infringing legislation without too much fuss.

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2016, 03:15 PM

I'm really getting tired of being blamed for these attacks.

Every time there's an attack, the governments respond by attacking us. Trying to take some more rights from us.

News flash for politicians. I didn't do it. I didn't plan any terror attack, did not carry one out, and did not have foreknowledge of any attacks. Stop attacking us.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Mar 24, 2016, 05:26 PM

"House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Michael McCaul (R-Texas) urges for an encryption bill to move onward. "I think after the (Brussels attack), it's important that Congress does something and that Congress acts," said McCaul according to The Hill."

Apparently, they don't have to do the right thing, so long as they do something, no matter how stupid that something might be. "Done! Ta-dah!" (ooof)

Forum Links
Forum Rules