Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jag on home network

Jag on home network
cms
Senior User
Aug 23, 2002, 06:10 AM

Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered already. But I'm sitting here in London UK awaiting my copy of Jaguar and I am wondering whether I'll be able to install my new (full price) operating software on 3 networked computers in my house. I saw somewhere some documentation about multiple-user licences which were being marketed for family usage, presumably in a home set-up not dissimilar to mine. But I also noted that these licences cost $199, which seems a hell of a lot to pay for non-commercial application, particularly since my copy of Jaguar here in the UK has already cost me the princely sum of 110 (inc. VAT and shipping).

I guess my question here really is: Does anyone know if there is anything built into Jag that will stop me installing it on each machine in my home network.? I'm thinking particularly here of anything similar to the detection tool in MS Office for OS X which used to deny access to a second/third user on the network if someone was already running one of the applications. I am worried that my second and third computers will not start up or will possibly even burst into flames (!) if there is a detection element built in to Jaguar.

Sorry again if this has already been covered. But I'd truly appreciate any feedback/advice.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2002, 09:28 AM

First, understand that the $199 package is for all five licenses. It's not $199 for each. So for $199 (or an extra $70) you can be legal on all of your machines.

But to answer your question, I saw a post from someone who got the word straight from an Apple employee...There is nothing to prevent you from installing a single copy on multiple machines. There is no activation like Microsoft uses. Apple, however, will only answer support questions for one copy on one machine.

Chris

cms  (op)
Senior User
Aug 23, 2002, 09:44 AM

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to answer my question. I am delighted that I can use Jag on all three computers without causing any difficulties for myself. I understand the support issue too and I guess that's fair enough.....

Thanks again. Enjoy Jag. I simply can't wait for my copy to arrive!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2002, 10:17 AM

i installed Jag on my two networked G4s without a hitch.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

ReefHobbyist
Aug 23, 2002, 12:28 PM

I already pre-ordered a single copy (didn't get it yet) for my 2 iMacs at home before I saw the family pack. $100/machine is reasonable in my mind but now I already paid the $130 single user license. Is it possible to "uplift" my license by paying the difference?

Maybe that would be a good use for the "useless" coupons that come with the OS.

Scott

Forum Links
Forum Rules