Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Palm IrDA HotSync

Palm IrDA HotSync
cms
Senior User
Oct 12, 2002, 03:46 AM

Does anyone know how to set this up under 10.2.1? I want to be able to hotsync my Palm 505 with my TiBook when I'm on the road but can't work out how to do this.

Perhaps I'm just stupid and am missing something really simple but I'd be grateful for any help!

Thanks

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2002, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by cms:
Does anyone know how to set this up under 10.2.1? I want to be able to hotsync my Palm 505 with my TiBook when I'm on the road but can't work out how to do this.

Perhaps I'm just stupid and am missing something really simple but I'd be grateful for any help!

Thanks
I don't know about a TiBook, but this works for me on my Pismo with a Handspring Visor Platinum. System 10.2.1/Desktop 4.0 on the Visor.

Setup: in the network pref pane, scroll down in the SHOW: box to the item for network port configuration, enable the Irda port. I left everything as is, did nothing to actually configure the port. Check the box to show the port in the title bar; this will allow you to turn it on.

On HotSync, select IR.

With my setup, I put the Visor near the back of the pismo, make sure the irda port is on, and touch the button to activate the hotsync on the screen. Then I go do something else for a while...if you're used to syncing from a cradle, this is not nearly as fast. Usually (not always) it does work. I have found that sometimes if I have the Powerbook on a couch or other soft surface, I have to lift it a little to get it to work

Hope this helps.

cms  (op)
Senior User
Oct 13, 2002, 01:36 PM

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

I'm still having a problem though. Every time I try to connect via the IrDA port, I get an error message on the handlheld which says: "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application."

I don't understand what this other application could be, since nothing else is running apart from IE, Mail and Palm Desktop.

Any ideas? I'd much appreciate any additional input, since I feel I'm almost there but am still missing something small but vital!

Thanks!

cms  (op)
Senior User
Oct 13, 2002, 04:50 PM

Just to say that I've managed to set it up and it works like a charm. I've also got it going on my flat panel iMac with a USB IrDA external device, so it obviously works with an IrDA-enabled system under 10.2.1.

If anyone out there needs any help in this department, I'd be really happy to oblige. It's nice for me to be able to share and to offer help for once instead of just asking for it!

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2002, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by cms:
Just to say that I've managed to set it up and it works like a charm. I've also got it going on my flat panel iMac with a USB IrDA external device, so it obviously works with an IrDA-enabled system under 10.2.1.

If anyone out there needs any help in this department, I'd be really happy to oblige. It's nice for me to be able to share and to offer help for once instead of just asking for it!

I'm interested in doing this, but am also just interested in the USB IrDA thing. could you fill me in on which one you got and where? how much? thanks!

cms  (op)
Senior User
Oct 14, 2002, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by kidtexas:

I'm interested in doing this, but am also just interested in the USB IrDA thing. could you fill me in on which one you got and where? how much? thanks!
I ordered mine from an outfit in Germany, following advice from a forum member from Australia! How's that for the international profile of the Mac community?!

Go here: www.digitalnoma.de

The site is mainly in German but easy to find your way around. I emailed them direct and they couldn't have been more helpful or efficient in dispatching my order. There is no option on the website to pay by credit card but you can easily wire money directly into their account.

The cost per unit is 51.68 Euros and I paid an additional 12.93 Euros for shipping of two units to an EU address. Might be a bit more to the US or elsewhere.

If you go ahead and want some help setting it up, feel free to mail or message me direct.

Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules