Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DVD-R coasters on a 1GHz Superdrive

DVD-R coasters on a 1GHz Superdrive (Page 2)
Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 03:00 PM

i have done 9 dvd's so far with one coaster! using a Ti1ghz used apple dvd's havent tried anything else yet

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2003, 04:16 PM

Done 30 DVD's and hasn't burnt a coaster yet. Used both Apple's own DVD-R's as well as non-brand ones.
/Petra

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by CyberPet:
Done 30 DVD's and hasn't burnt a coaster yet. Used both Apple's own DVD-R's as well as non-brand ones.
This is rediculous - My first FOUR apple DVD-R's that I tried to burn were coasters - the fifth and sixth (iDVD and Finder) actually burnt though....And here you are CyberPet with 30 DVD's and no coasters, WOW. These drives are very finiky is seems. I hope mine bites the dust at the end of my three year Applecare warranty and I get a new 4x DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM Drive

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2003, 12:10 PM

I have to admit that I've only burnt one DVD in iDVD (successfully of course) and one in Finder. I mostly use Toast Titanium when I burn my DVD's (I've been *coughs* burning movies aswell as files). I also never try to exceed 4.3GB.
/Petra

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2003, 04:21 AM

I'm not sure I'd like a new 15" Aluminium model. I love the way my Ti hides all the ports at the back, and once it's quiet there's bugger all I'd change in it even if I had the chance.

I wonder if it's because they're having trouble with the drives in some way...or that they're working out if I've been a good enough lad to warrant getting firmware that lets me do *everything* I can only hope...

Perhaps they're going to start shipping Pioneer or Sony (or something) drives instead of the UJ-815.

They're sending me out a 3 month warranty extension and a box of DVD-Rs to help keep me happy, which is a good thing. I'm hoping that the machine comes back as quiet as Petra's did. It'll be the same people working on it, I suppose, so maybe

Originally posted by adamberti:
Maybe, Just maybe, they're actually waiting for the new 15.4" AluBook and they're going to send that one back to you as a suprise! I mean, how hard can it be to get a SuperDrive.....?

Actually on that note, I finally got an AppleCare CD today that I've been trying to get since December - just a CD!! Let's hope your drive doesnt take that long!

Mouton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 01:11 AM

received my pb12 this weekend... received my dvd-r medias from shop4tech yesterday. already 13 coasters for my collection. 0 ok...
tried toast 5.1.3... finder... ritek and shop4tech media + the supplied apple media... some doesn't even want to burn (bad media), some burn but stops in the middle spitting out different errors (see above errors... i got pretty much the same) only got 1 to burn without errors but was full of errors while doing the verify step...
*sight*
is it just me or i have reasons to be unhappy...

So i tried 3 different media type, and 2 diff software, with 3 different content... all between 4 and 4.3GB total...

: .... and where is the slash on that thing so i can make unhappy faces!??

I am unhappy ........

hsvgoku
Apr 16, 2003, 01:29 AM

I just got my Ti PB yest and burn the DVD through iDVD. I have no dramas at all and it works fine. The disk i burn has 327mbs and it took me about 15-20mins to burn it.

Mouton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 01:58 AM

I can burn 327mb on my PC just fine, and way faster than I could on my PB... The point of burning a dvd on my PB is to fit a little more than 700mb on a disc!
I'll try tommorow with discribe, toast 5.2.1 and less data, etc.

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 04:59 AM

Call Apple and have them deal with it. You're not employed by them to work out the faults in a new product. Be clear and straightforward with them and you should get somewhere. The general consensus on these boards seems to be that there will be teething problems for now with DVD burning, but your failure rate isn't something you should put up with.

Originally posted by Mouton:
received my pb12 this weekend... received my dvd-r medias from shop4tech yesterday. already 13 coasters for my collection. 0 ok...
tried toast 5.1.3... finder... ritek and shop4tech media + the supplied apple media... some doesn't even want to burn (bad media), some burn but stops in the middle spitting out different errors (see above errors... i got pretty much the same) only got 1 to burn without errors but was full of errors while doing the verify step...
*sight*
is it just me or i have reasons to be unhappy...

So i tried 3 different media type, and 2 diff software, with 3 different content... all between 4 and 4.3GB total...

: .... and where is the slash on that thing so i can make unhappy faces!??

I am unhappy ........

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 12:22 PM

by the way, can missing media burner do non HFS dvds? or is it the same as finder?

Mouton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 01:07 PM

I'll try tommorow with discribe, toast 5.2.1 and less data, etc.
Well, I upgraded the firmware (dunno if that changed anything cause I already had D0CB) and upgraded to Toast 5.2.1 (from 5.1.3) and this morning, I burned 2 (almost) ok DVDs.

First I tried 4.2GB. Burn was completed succesfully but I could only read 2.76GB off it... The rest was unreadable...
2nd burn: 2.5GB - completed successfully and was all readable. Horay!
3rd burn: 2.63GB - The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03
with 3 different discs.
Finally got it to burn on a different media (ritek or shop4tech... don't know which is which...)
4th burn: 2.75gb - completed successfully and was ok (on one of the 3 discs that was spit out on the 4rd burn).
5th burn: 3.11gb - retried other disks from 3rd burn... medium error on those - still burning on 2nd media type...

Will try to burn increasing size until I find the limit value... :|

Still, will lookup the phone# for apple support. Do I need the serial or anything else when I phone them ? Is it free ?
( Last edited by Mouton; Apr 16, 2003 at 04:05 PM. )

Mouton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 11:24 PM

All the DVD that were burned successfully on my pb and that I could all read succesfully on my pb are unreadable on my pc
I burned all of them using Toast DVD feature, which should make the DVD readable on PC...
Some are just unreadable; others, i can see the content but trying to copy it doesn't work... DVD-ROM spins and spins and do nothing and finally timeout

I'm really getting sick of this *hit... For a first experience with my own Macintosh computer, I'm really disappointed.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2003, 01:11 AM

Have you tried to turn on HIGH PERFORMANCE in your energy saver mode? I used to burn coasters until I turn on the HIGH PERFORMANCE mode on my PowerBook.

hsvgoku
Apr 17, 2003, 01:14 AM

All the DVD that were burned successfully on my pb and that I could all read succesfully on my pb are unreadable on my pc
I burned all of them using Toast DVD feature, which should make the DVD readable on PC...
Some are just unreadable; others, i can see the content but trying to copy it doesn't work... DVD-ROM spins and spins and do nothing and finally timeout

I'm really getting sick of this *hit... For a first experience with my own Macintosh computer, I'm really disappointed.
Have you tried using iDVD ???

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2003, 05:42 AM

It sounds as if your drive is faulty. If it's a 12" machine then it must be covered by warranty, so it will be free, yes. Call them with your serial number and explain your case. Good luck with it, too!

Still, will lookup the phone# for apple support. Do I need the serial or anything else when I phone them ? Is it free ?

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2003, 08:10 AM

The plot thickens.... as you can recall from a couple of posts ago, I had the MEDIA ERROR problem with Toast as well... I recently tried my only Apple-branded DVD and that worked just fine! The EXACT same files that failed to burn on no-name DVD's burned perfectly on the Apple ones.

Leads me to conclude that the MEDIA ERROR is, in fact a...ehrm.... media error. I.e, you better use high-quality DVD's for large burns.

The funny thing is that small burns go reasonably well, even on my cheap-ass DVD-R's. Strange indeed...

Oh, and that's on a 12" SD w/640MB

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2003, 09:02 AM

Well, I upgraded the firmware (dunno if that changed anything cause I already had D0CB) and upgraded to Toast 5.2.1 (from 5.1.3) and this morning, I burned 2 (almost) ok DVDs.

First I tried 4.2GB. Burn was completed succesfully but I could only read 2.76GB off it... The rest was unreadable...
2nd burn: 2.5GB - completed successfully and was all readable. Horay!
3rd burn: 2.63GB - The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03
with 3 different discs.
Finally got it to burn on a different media (ritek or shop4tech... don't know which is which...)
4th burn: 2.75gb - completed successfully and was ok (on one of the 3 discs that was spit out on the 4rd burn).
5th burn: 3.11gb - retried other disks from 3rd burn... medium error on those - still burning on 2nd media type...

Will try to burn increasing size until I find the limit value... :|

Like many of us have already said, low end DVD-R media sucks. I'd try Apple media first if you haven't already.

Usually with low end media:

1) Burns may not complete.
2) Full disc burns may not work as well as non-full discs.
3) Even when burned "successfully" the disc may be unreadable on other machines, or even the burner.
4) If a DVD Video is burned successfully, the disc may skip or have other problems at high bitrate areas. eg. a 3 hour 3 Mbps CBR disc would work fine, but a 1 hour 10 Mbps CBR disc will not.

Solution? Buy good quality media. I use Apple media because it's the cheapest in small quantities here in Toronto. I'd consider maybe TDK or Maxell mail order, but shipping costs to much at the moment, and it's not cost effective.

I like other brands like Mitsui, etc. but they cost more than Apple.

Ritek and Princo are consistently unreliable with my drives. Even the 2X Ritek have lots of problems at 1X on my machines. 2X Optodisc has been better, but nowhere near as good as Apple. ie. You get what you pay for. (I have 4 different DVD burners, and my results are similar with all of them.)

Don't waste your time with low end media. If you can afford to buy a SuperDrive PowerBook, you can afford to buy good quality media.

Mouton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Don't waste your time with low end media. If you can afford to buy a SuperDrive PowerBook, you can afford to buy good quality media.
Well, that's the point... I already forked out way too much money on this baby to have any more!
I'll go to the mall this noon, and buy myself a couple of test dvd-r media... tdk, maxell, etc. all good brand ppl would recommend, and see how it works.

I already tried the apple dvd-r that was with pb when i bought it, and it was the same thing... Error while burning... But maybe it was just bad luck.

btw... also got overheating problem... Not that i care here @ work cause i'm always freezing and I can warm my hands on my pb... but
@ home, on evenings, I can't take it in my hands more than 5 secs without crying out loud! (after about 4h of use... dvd burning mostly... or trying to burn!)
eh...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2003, 11:20 AM

Well, that's the point... I already forked out way too much money on this baby to have any more!
I'll go to the mall this noon, and buy myself a couple of test dvd-r media... tdk, maxell, etc. all good brand ppl would recommend, and see how it works.

I already tried the apple dvd-r that was with pb when i bought it, and it was the same thing... Error while burning... But maybe it was just bad luck.

btw... also got overheating problem... Not that i care here @ work cause i'm always freezing and I can warm my hands on my pb... but
@ home, on evenings, I can't take it in my hands more than 5 secs without crying out loud! (after about 4h of use... dvd burning mostly... or trying to burn!)
eh...
If you do get the same errors with a couple more tries with good media, then it's time for a call to Apple.

Mouton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2003, 01:26 PM

Just bought a Verbatim media (@11.49$ CDN I must add!)
Trying to burn 4.2GB on it atm...
I sure hope it works, at that price....

Couldn't find any TDK or anything better around here...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2003, 02:29 PM

Just bought a Verbatim media (@11.49$ CDN I must add!)
Trying to burn 4.2GB on it atm...
I sure hope it works, at that price....

Couldn't find any TDK or anything better around here...
Apple media is CAD$26 for a box of 5 ($5.20 each) in the local Toronto stores. Where are you? Is there a Mac-oriented store close by?

BTW, the Apple store has the 5-pack for $24 ($4.80 ea) and last time I got some it was free shipping.

Mouton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2003, 02:43 PM

Got my 12$ Verbatim burned no problem... 4.18gb total... all fine.

I'm in Montreal. Will try to see if I can get Verbatim media shipped in Canada (buy.com ony ship 500+$ orders international!) and if not, I'll try to find some Apple medias around here... Anyone have a clue aboot the Verbatim medias ?

Pretty expensive all this if u ask me... Got friends who can burn just fine on cheap 1$ dvd and I need to pay 5$+ for mine because I have a Mac...

... try to tell me Mac aren't pricier than PC now... pft.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2003, 03:15 PM

Got my 12$ Verbatim burned no problem... 4.18gb total... all fine.

I'm in Montreal. Will try to see if I can get Verbatim media shipped in Canada (buy.com ony ship 500+$ orders international!) and if not, I'll try to find some Apple medias around here... Anyone have a clue aboot the Verbatim medias ?

Pretty expensive all this if u ask me... Got friends who can burn just fine on cheap 1$ dvd and I need to pay 5$+ for mine because I have a Mac...

... try to tell me Mac aren't pricier than PC now... pft.
"Fine" is a relative term. People say those cheap discs burn fine, but if you dig deeper you may find that the discs don't work consistently on all machines, or they use low bit rates or whatever. Or fine will mean that they get only 10% coasters, which to me is far too high.

Also, some batches of cheap discs may work great, but others may be crap. The good thing about good quality discs, is that they consistently work well.

For what it's worth, I use two Panasonic burners on PCs and cheap discs still give me problems.

Furthermore the most common drive in both PCs and Macs are Pioneers. And both PC and Mac owners complain about cheap discs.

YMMV.

antosha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2003, 06:47 PM

Hi, after an accident, the combo drive on my PB 667 rev b was replaced. ever since then I've been unable to successfully burn disks. In Finder I get the following:

CD burning failed because an unknown error occurred
(-2147352480)

in iPhoto:
The burn to the MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8121 drive failed. Unknown error (-2147352542)

in Roxio Toast Titanium 5.1.2:
The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03

in iTunes:
CD burning failed because an unknown error occurred (14009)

I will be sending the PB back for the 3rd time since the accident. The first replacement drive returned the same errors when burning, and also would produce data errors on brand new dvds. The current replacement has no trouble with dvds, but produces the same errors while burning in both, X and 9. Apple tech support thinks the drive is faulty.

I'm using TDK and Maxell media.

Anthony

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2003, 05:14 PM

Well I've got my machine back from Apple with a replaced superdrive assembly.

The first disc I've tried to burn was quite large (4.25GB) and failed (again - I'm yet to burn a DVD successfully with this machine!) at what seemed to be the end of the verification stage in Toast. I received the following error message:

"Sector 2175168 is unreadable. Verification failed."

Does this point to anything in particular being wrong?

Should a machine which is burning a DVD be left entirely alone while it burns or is it ok to use it as normal?

I'm trying another one now at a similar size but with a different set of data this time. Fingers crossed.

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2003, 06:56 PM

Well the second one worked ok. Toast verified it all and told me the burn had been successful.

Can anyone give me a hand to ascertain what the problem might have been with the first one (which was slightly smaller)?

I've definitely got further with this drive than I had done with the last one.

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 06:56 PM

I'm almost willing to bet you that it's the media. Do try another brand, it fixed the problem for me...

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2003, 06:58 PM

I'm using Apple's discs at the moment, precisely for the reason of wanting to ensure that it's not the discs at fault. I've read mixed reviews of other brands, but Apple's seem never to get a bad write-up.

Any harm in burning onto Apple's 4x discs with this machine?

Originally posted by Hozie:
I'm almost willing to bet you that it's the media. Do try another brand, it fixed the problem for me...

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2003, 08:42 AM

Is there any utility out there to test the integrity of the data being burned before committing a blank disc to it? I wonder if this has been the problem on some of my failed burns.

There's also an option in Toast (I forget the name of it) by which it seems you can do a test burn before you use a blank. When I tried this last time it burnt a coaster regardless. Can anyone explain what this feature is and how to use it? I could have sworn I followed instructions to the letter from the manual

This is almost turning into a SW question - but it ties nicely back to the original SD problems people were/are having.
( Last edited by all2ofme; May 2, 2003 at 08:48 AM. )

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2003, 01:33 AM

Well I'm now having the same problems again with the replacement drive. I've done a bit better with the new one (I've made 2 coasters from 3) but I just got an "Illegal request, cannot write medium, incompatible format etc." error from Toast, followed shortly after by a "Hardware error".

Time to call Apple again.

What irks me most is that Apple insisted that "All repairs we do are tested to ensure that they are of as-new quality". They're right in that this replacement is equally useless as the new machine I bought three months ago, but I don't think that's what they meant

This time I'm not sending off the machine until they have all the parts required to fix it ready and waiting. I had to wait a month last time for a replacement Superdrive to come in.

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2003, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by all2ofme:

Time to call Apple again.

What irks me most is that Apple insisted that "All repairs we do are tested to ensure that they are of as-new quality". They're right in that this replacement is equally useless as the new machine I bought three months ago, but I don't think that's what they meant

This time I'm not sending off the machine until they have all the parts required to fix it ready and waiting. I had to wait a month last time for a replacement Superdrive to come in.
Sorry to hear more problems again. I wonder if it could be something wrong with another part of the machine. I bet you anything that there test is some hardware check on the drive that it reads alright, writes a little bit and erases a disk too - maybe not even while its in your machine! I highly doubt they would try and burn full CD's and DVD's and erase the CD-RW and everything. While it would be nice, it's probably a lot more time then they are willing to commit. They take their bet that it will work and if it doesnt, then we'll try again. I'm sure its more efficient than testing every drive they replace fully.

That really sucks that you had to wait a month too! As you may recall I just had my logic board replaced, and they lady asked me "Is there anything else you would like us to check?" I hesitated in saying yes to the SuperDrive, but I wouldnt have been able to wait for a month to get a new one if there was a problem. Guess I'll wait untill I get a few more coasters as my last 2 burns were successful.

Good Luck with Apple again!

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2003, 02:10 AM

Thanks for the concern. They replaced the logic board and the right hand fan last time too, so if there is something else wrong with the machine then it'll be in something quite out of the way. You're completely right about it probably not being worth their while to check the drive completely, but I'd rather they said that. The way it is currently really puts the onus on me to work out if there's anything unusual about it.

The same thing when they replaced the fan. I was told that the technicians also thought that the noise was unacceptable and that it had been fixed, but when I got it back - exactly the same.

Originally posted by adamberti:
Sorry to hear more problems again. I wonder if it could be something wrong with another part of the machine.

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2003, 06:40 AM

You mentioned that you were using 4x discs. Any chance of trying a 2x? It's worth a shot if you have any lying around or if you can get to an Apple store....

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2003, 07:37 AM

I've always been using Apple's 2x discs. The 5 discs I got from Apple for my troubles were all 4x, but I haven't used any of them yet. I'm hoping they won't give me more problems!

The odd thing is that I just created a new user (which was something that Apple suggested I do when I had problems with the first drive) and successfully burnt *exactly* the same files, onto *exactly* the same type of disc as I have now had fail on me twice on this new drive. Weird.

I wonder if there's some corrupted prefs file somewhere on my standard account which is affecting things. I'll make a third disc this evening if I have time and see if that works. I'll burn it from the new account.

Even if that is the case, I would expect better error messages from Toast and the Finder if there were something awry.

I'll report back later.

Originally posted by Hozie:
You mentioned that you were using 4x discs. Any chance of trying a 2x? It's worth a shot if you have any lying around or if you can get to an Apple store....

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2003, 10:59 PM

I'm using Apple's discs at the moment, precisely for the reason of wanting to ensure that it's not the discs at fault. I've read mixed reviews of other brands, but Apple's seem never to get a bad write-up.

Any harm in burning onto Apple's 4x discs with this machine?
Let me chime in with my experience. I have a 12" PowerBook. When I first received it, I successfully backed up the Install DVD using the piece of 2x media included with the PB.

That was over a month ago. Over this past weekend, I have tried unsuccessfully to burn 4.1 GB of music to DVD on five consecutive occasions: four times with iTunes4 and once with Toast. I am using Apple branded media, but they are not marked as 2x like the piece that came with the PB. In fact, it's not marked with a speed at all, but the part number is exactly the same as the 2x media according to the online Apple Store. Four of those discs were from one box and 1 from another (I foolishly bought 3 boxes all at once at my local Apple Store back in February).

Are any of you that claim to be using the 2x media using discs that are not marked with a speed? Maybe I just got some old discs.

I have a 4-pack of TDK media on order so I'll see how those do. I'm reluctant buy another box of Apple branded media, but maybe I can get the Apple Store to exchange my remaining unopened box for a box marked as 2x.
( Last edited by TheBum; May 6, 2003 at 12:12 PM. )

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2003, 08:50 AM

Do you mean that the discs themselves aren't marked with a speed or that the jewel cases they came in aren't marked?

I'll check on mine when I get home this evening. I've already thrown out the majority of the coasters I've burnt, but have the cases still.

Originally posted by TheBum:
[B]Are any of you claim to be using the 2x media using discs that are not marked with a speed? Maybe I just got some old discs.[B]

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2003, 09:51 AM

Do you mean that the discs themselves aren't marked with a speed or that the jewel cases they came in aren't marked?
Neither the disc nor the jewel case is marked with a speed. I believe both were marked "2X" for the disc that shipped with the PowerBook.
( Last edited by TheBum; May 6, 2003 at 12:13 PM. )

inRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2003, 10:36 AM

Hello,
I too am having these errors in both Disc Copy and Toast in my 1GHz 15" TiBook. It seems to be getting progressively worse and I now burn almost all coasters.

At first I thought it was related to the media I was using (Memorex) but I am also getting the same errors with Apple 2x media and so far 100% failures trying to burn a video_ts folder. I do not think that it is the files since the failures occur at different points. This stack of coasters while trying different things is getting ridiculous!

I have read this thread through completely and it sounds like the problem is not really getting resolved completely. Has anyone actually had the problem with these long error codes while burning DVDs go away?

Thanks.
( Last edited by inRed; May 10, 2003 at 04:19 PM. )

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 11:51 AM

On the topic of creating a new user and that solving the media errors: I've read somewhere that someone had the same experience by logging in as root and burning from there.

Logging in as root ---> no errors
Logging in normally --> media errors

I personally think that too many users have complained about this problem for Apple to do nothing. They need to get a couple of engineers on this and work out whether it's a hard-or software issue and what the exact causes are.

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2003, 05:44 PM

Hozie: Agreed - this doesn't sound at all restricted to the odd user - it sounds as if there's a fair few of us out there with this problem. Mind you, they ignored the fans which seemed even more widespread

TheBum: My 2x discs are marked 2x on the case but not on the discs. The 4x, however, are marked on both. Hope that's of some help.

inRed: My TiBook came back "fixed" with DOCB on it, so I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. You'd be better off if you could send it back as it came to you, but I can't help with any updaters which would let you do that.

Originally posted by TheBum:
Neither the disc nor the jewel case is marked with a speed. I believe both were marked "2X" for the disc that shipped with the PowerBook.

inRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2003, 06:02 PM

I had a long discussion w/ Apple Support and it seems that they are aware of this problem but were not aware that the problem resolved itself if logged in as root.

I logged in as root and have been burning all day successfully.

I have cancelled my PB return since it appears to be software related.

As a test, I did a chmod 770 on Toast to see if it would make any difference. I then logged back in as myself and successfully burned a disc that I could not burn before. Too soon to tell if this is a solution but I will continue to test...

Are there any other forums discussing this root user solution?

Thanks.

shaiwon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2003, 06:47 PM

I am having a problem burning disk image files onto Apple brand 2x blank DVD's with my 12" PB. Whenever I burn an image file (tried DiskCopy and Toast 5.2.1), the movie plays and everything but stops all of a sudden in the middle of the movie. It's done this all 3 times I've tried to burn a DVD. I don't think it's the size of the file because I even tried one that is only about 3GB. Is anyone having the same problem I have??

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by inRed:
I logged in as root and have been burning all day successfully.
Tried it. The first (and only) disc coastered in iTunes4 at about the same place as the other four. I'm still using the same batch of Apple discs, so it may still be a media problem. The TDKs are supposed to arrive on Thursday.

On a whim, I tried checking my hard disk with NDD and it encountered a major problem. I'll fix that and try one more time (as root, just in case).

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2003, 06:52 AM

Toast is the best. Get it. :-P

inRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2003, 11:48 AM

Regarding problems burningwith Toast and Disc Copy that report errors such as:
"filename here" failed to burn due to error -2147352480. A target device error error occurred (-2147352480). 04/03/01

or Toast errors such as:
Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03

I reported yesterday that I was able to finally burn DVDs after logging in as root. I was also able to burn a DVD after chmod 770 Toast and logging in as myself. Toast was previously 777. Basically I took a look at Retrospect and copied it's settings.

I have now burned 9 more discs with no problems. It appears that this fixed the problem for me. 2 days ago I would have been very lucky to have gotten 1 successful burn out of this many attempts. It really looked like a hardware problem.

It appears that this is indeed helped by running with the right permissions.

Also, Apple seems to think that this problem is related to having iDVD3 installed since it is a common thread in the complaints.

Anybody else tried this fix yet?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2003, 12:03 PM

Also, Apple seems to think that this problem is related to having iDVD3 installed since it is a common thread in the complaints.

Anybody else tried this fix yet?
Strange. I have iDVD 3 installed too, with no problems.

Has X.2.6 helped at all?

inRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2003, 12:39 PM

Strange. I have iDVD 3 installed too, with no problems.

Has X.2.6 helped at all
I have held off on installing 10.2.6 to do some more testing with 10.2.5. Apple said that it would probably not make any difference since they had not resolved the problem inhouse.

I am sure that it is more than just iDVD3 though.

The only things that I did to get the problem fixed were:
1. Log in as root and burn a dvd.
2. Change Toast permissions to 770
3. Log in as myself and all subsequent burns have been successful.

Could it be because I burned a DVD as root? Perhaps it set a prefs file that had the correct permissions...

Or it may be related to changing permissions on Toast.

I do not know which but I am happy with the results so far.

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2003, 12:02 PM

Great stuff inRed. I'm going to try that this weekend with my fingers and toes crossed. My Ti came back from Apple happily tidy (as it left me) and I'd be over the moon if I didn't have to send it back for another drive replacement.

Ben

I do not know which but I am happy with the results so far.

inRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2003, 12:46 PM

Well - all is not as good as I thought...

I needed to visit a client yesterday so I closed my PB and took it with me.

After returning home I opened it back up and tried to burn another disc. This was the first coaster since changing permissions or logging in as root. I tried a different media brand and got another. I logged in as root and got three more coasters. I finally managed to burn one disc (as root) but with 5 coasters for one success is really bad. Both Toast and Disk Copy were failing with the same old error codes.

I will be back on the phone w/ Apple today.

inRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2003, 12:48 PM

I have been seeing reports of this problem w/ 12" and 15" Powerbooks but I do not recall any with 17" Powerbooks.

Is anyone having this problem (burn failures) who has a 17" Powerbook?
( Last edited by inRed; May 8, 2003 at 03:37 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules