Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DVD region change problem

DVD region change problem
all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2004, 07:05 PM

Anyone else had a -70001 error when trying to change the zone of their Powerbook's drive?

This is a week-old 1.5GHz Superdrive 15" Powerbook, BTW.

Hmmm.

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 03:52 AM

How many times have you changed the region code?
You only get 5 'changes' before it gets locked to the last region it was in.
This message may mean you can't change it anymore, just a guess though.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 04:58 AM

Yup. Too many region changes.

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 07:42 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. It's not that, though. I've only changed it once since I got it. The machine's only a week old.

I'd also hope Apple would code a better message once you've used up your changes than Error -70001

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Aug 24, 2004, 01:15 PM

If you want to change region codes without hassle flash your drive.
The firmware should be around on the net somewhere.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 01:25 PM

Refurb or brandy new?

Well it seems to me its a used superdrive. Someone changed the region 4 times and you pushed it the limit with your first change.

When you popped into a dvd did it go through the process of setting the region for the first time? if I recall this happened to my PB when I first used it.

Either way I'd give apple a call, though the odds of you sending it in are high so they can replace the drive. If its under 10 days and you bought it at a brick and motar store, see if you can exchange it.

Good Luck
Mike

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 04:55 PM

It's a new machine, and it still says that I've got four changes left. I've since tried another disc from the same region as I was trying to change it to before, and that worked. So all is well (at least for the moment). I wonder what it is/was, though.

8minute
Oct 4, 2004, 11:38 PM

I have got the same problem. Brand new 12" PB ... bought Star Wars DVD set, it says I have one change left, go to change it and I get the -70001 error code. I've rebooted, tried another dvd and it still doesn't work!! Aargghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

I've checked on the net and the firmware flash for my drive isn't available yet.

| 12"Al.PB:1.33GHz:1.25GB:100GB:SD |

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2004, 01:36 AM

Mind if I ask what is DVD region change? thanks!.

8minute
Oct 5, 2004, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by maxx9photo:
Mind if I ask what is DVD region change? thanks!.
Refer to this article dvd regions: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60183

DVD region change enables you to play a dvd that was made for the US market on a dvd player in Aust (for example).

8minute
Oct 5, 2004, 05:09 AM

I've been able to change my dvd region and I think I worked out why it didn't work before.

Apparently when you change it for the last time (ie. when you have one last region change left before it is locked), you need to use a dvd that has been encoded for a single region only: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31304

The star wars dvd I was trying to watch is encoded for region 2 and 4. I switched to a dvd that was set for a single region and everything worked fine

Forum Links
Forum Rules