Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need Aussie advice Re: prepaid sim for traveling down under

Need Aussie advice Re: prepaid sim for traveling down under
Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 01:11 AM

Alright, a buddy of mine is heading down for about 2 week starting Nov 11th. Anyone know where he can pick up a prepaid sim that allows in-country AND international calling to the US ?? He's got a phone that will work (S-E R520m) and just needs a sim to drop in for the duration.

Any thoughts from the natives (or anyone who travels there for that matter) would be appreciated.

PG ? Face Ache ? Are you out there ?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 08:24 AM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2004, 08:28 AM

Has he contacted his cell carrier? Find out if they have auto-roaming. Biggest boon for travel. I have auto-roaming on my 6600 and have had no problems in (among others, the US, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, Germany, Austria, France and Britain).
No having to swop sim cards or anything silly like that.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 09:09 AM

a list of service providers -

http://www.imobile.com.au/ServiceProvider/

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the links !!

Yes, Randman he has contacted his carrier. Unfortunately, his carrier is Verizon and his CDMA phone wont work there. I actually am going to loan him the SE R520m (which I have as an unused spare), so he'll need to get a SIM independent of carrier. Verizon does offer a couple of CDMA/GSM hybrid phones now that will work ... but then he'd have to buy the phone ($350 US) before he could get their international roaming package.

Also, its a little late in the game to have a SIM mailed to him before he departs ... so he'd like to find one he could walk-in and buy in the US or AUS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules