Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iLife Family Pack .. installation limitations

iLife Family Pack .. installation limitations
Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2005, 11:12 PM

OK, I'm interested in buying the iLife '05 Family Pack but am unclear about the "rules" of the family pack. I understand that it says "household use only" but I'd like to split a copy with my roommate -- who is a member of my "household" but most likely, not a permanent one.

If I buy the family pack, register a copy to his machine and 2 copies to my 2 machines, will there be any issues in the future if we stop being roommates ? More pointedly, can he keep his registration # and copy of the software validly (and be able to get updates etc.) after he is no longer near the original install DVDs ? I imagine that some of you may have had the same issue with, say, a child who goes off to college with a copy ... do they have any problems getting updates etc. as long as they have a valid registered copy ?

I'm trying to do the right thing by purchasing a multi-licensed copy for my 2 machines (and his 1 machine) but I'm just not sure if its going to come back to bite me in the @ss if the machines end up being parts of different households in the future.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 11:18 PM

I would imagine that as long as you two are in the same house, it's ok to install it on his machine. I believe the license is good for 5 computers. But I do believe that once he leaves, that's it. The software on there can stay but he's not allowed to have a copy for backup purposes. Updates will be fine as well. I could be wrong though, but that's my understanding of it anyway.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2005, 11:40 PM

Thanks, that is my understanding (errr ... assumption) but I don't know for sure. If he moves on, he certainly wouldn't have a backup copy (cuz I'll keep it .. I'm buying it for my 2 machines and just letting him have a license because I can for free). As long as it doesn't stop working for him or require him to put in the original DVDs for some reason, that is all that is necessary, IMHO.

If he goes to update it and it asked him to insert original CDs or something, then that could be a problem if we no longer live together. I don't want to put something on his machine that will leave him in the lurch in the future if he no longer has access to the original disks.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 11:43 PM

Well the good thing about the updates is that they don't require you to insert the CD. Unless of course an update breaks the app and you have to reinstall, but this isn't windows
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2005, 06:48 PM

Well, I just placed my order at buy.com. 85.33 for the Family Pack -$5.00 coupon for new customers + free shipping = 80.33. For any of you thinking of buying the normal version of iLife and installing on multiple machines illegally, this is a great way to be legal for about the same amount of money at a single license. They are also selling the single license version for 68.05. All in all, they seem to have the cheapest prices for iLife that I could find

Forum Links
Forum Rules