Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Is my shuffle dead?

Is my shuffle dead?
cms
Senior User
Aug 13, 2006, 06:54 AM

I bought my iPod shuffle in January 2005 and had no problems with it until 2 days ago. I plugged it into my G5 dual as usual for its weekly refill, as I have done without a problem every week since it arrived, and I got the dreaded flashing orange/green lights. It was mounting in the Finder but not in iTunes -- in fact, iTunes would not load at all -- and the iPod Updater software would not launch either; just bounced around in the dock until I pulled out the shuffle. Then iTunes loaded properly, and iPod Updater also launched. I could see the shuffle on the desktop, and it was recognised in Disk Utility. But Disk Utility couldn't do anything with it -- spinning beachball. I connected it to my McBook Pro -- exact same problem. Booted the MBP in Windows -- similar symptoms.

I did some searching on this and other forums, and my symptoms are well-documented, particularly in later releases of iTunes. However, I've had no trouble at all with mine and it worked fine after every iTunes update. The recommended fixes just didn't work for me, as I couldn't even launch the iPod Updater software to do a restore.

So, I'm happy to accept that these are cheap items with a limited life and have, in fact, already ordered a replacement which I expect to be delivered tomorrow. But do flash drives just die like that? Or is it a software thing that just can't be fixed?

Any insight would be gratefully received!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2006, 10:35 AM

It does seem as if it has died. Maybe some software update in the future can bring it back to life.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2006, 11:39 AM

it is dead. had the exact same thing happen to me. take it an apple store and bitch to them.....nicely.

Alex

cms  (op)
Senior User
Aug 13, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
it is dead. had the exact same thing happen to me. take it an apple store and bitch to them.....nicely.

Alex
Thanks for the replies. I had pretty much given up on it, hence the new one arriving tomorrow! No point in moaning to Apple. It's more than 18 months old, and has done pretty well considering I use it just about every single day. But I was a bit surprised, I guess, that these things don't seem to be built to last longer. And not a little irritated by the fact that the replacement cost me considerably less than the original.....

sprite
Aug 13, 2006, 01:47 PM

yea that happen to me but i still had the warranty so they just replaced.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2006, 02:14 PM

Were you using it as a thumb drive? i found through some research that if you use the shuffles mainly as a thumb drive (as i was with my first) that that's when the blinking starts up. I have had no troubles *crosses fingers* with the new shuffle by not using it as a thumb drive

Alex

cms  (op)
Senior User
Aug 13, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
Were you using it as a thumb drive? i found through some research that if you use the shuffles mainly as a thumb drive (as i was with my first) that that's when the blinking starts up. I have had no troubles *crosses fingers* with the new shuffle by not using it as a thumb drive

Alex
No, have never used it as a thumb drive. It has always been used as an iPod, pure and simple. Thanks for the thought, though.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules