Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Again, Mac newbie - what download software for MP3's works w/ Macs?

Again, Mac newbie - what download software for MP3's works w/ Macs?
Larry Klassen
Mar 22, 2005, 11:15 PM

I've posted already as a rookie, sorry for beating that but I really just don't know too much yet about Macs. Anyway, I'm looking to find a program that will work with my new (previously owned) Powerbook to download MP3's and other stuff.

Really, I want to be able to download MP3's as well as video, and full albums. I'm familiar with Azureus from the Win world, as well as Kazaa (which seems to be going downhill lately). Any thoughts for what would be best for my new Mac to download stuff? I'm thinking I'll probably go to two different sites for individual songs/files, and a different site for full movies/albums. Any specifics of what people use lately that works well?

Thanks again, folks - I'm very impressed with this site, and REALLY impressed with my recent switch to a Mac laptop.

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2005, 11:26 PM

Poisoned

Limewire

Larry Klassen  (op)
Mar 22, 2005, 11:37 PM

Great - thanks alot - are these the best that others have found as well? I've already downloaded Poisoned (trying to get it to work right now), and will try Limewire soon (I didn't have much luck with it for Win, but hopefully better for Mac).

I've also got a bunch of video files from my Win XP computer, and would like to make them work on my Pbook. They are in various formats - Quicktime (for some reason, my Quicktime Player that was already on here won't play them, but it will play music videos) as well as DivX videos. Are there versions of these for Mac as well? What am I doing wrong that I can't get these playing right away?

Thanks again!

ncsurfer
Mar 23, 2005, 01:11 AM

I use limewire and I love it! Works better than any p2p file program I have used. Great for macs.
15" 1.5Ghz Aluminum Powerbook
30gb iPod Photo

pengin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2005, 01:58 AM

What I found to have a very nice interface is Aquisition (put out by the same people as NewsFire). But you have to pay for the program, which is quite ironic because you have to pay to illegally share music?

I've tried it for a bit, and it seems to just be nagware? I'm not sure if its like NewsFire that doesn't let you use the program after 50 uses.

Derek

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2005, 02:18 AM

I prefer XFactor.

It is worth noting that Limewire is solely a Gnutella client, whereas other clients such as XFactor, Acqusition, and Poisoned peruse giFT, which covers Gnutella, FastTrack (the open source derivative of the Kazaa network), as well as OpenFT.

In any case, I highly recommend XFactor. It is written in Cocoa, has an excellent interface, full of features, always being worked on, and it is completely free. Check it out.

wilsonng
Senior User
Mar 23, 2005, 04:29 AM

well, iTunes allows you to go to iTunes Music Store to legally download music.

skelotar
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2005, 06:01 PM

Do a search for GetTunes.. It allows extended listening of Shared Music Libraries..

you may have to re-compile it for it to work correctly on the current version of itunes, but i'm not sure as i haven't upgraded eyt.. pm me if you need help
::: r00t ::: - 15" PBook / 1.25 GB/ 1.33Ghz

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by anamexis:
I prefer XFactor.

It is worth noting that Limewire is solely a Gnutella client, whereas other clients such as XFactor, Acqusition, and Poisoned peruse giFT, which covers Gnutella, FastTrack (the open source derivative of the Kazaa network), as well as OpenFT.

In any case, I highly recommend XFactor. It is written in Cocoa, has an excellent interface, full of features, always being worked on, and it is completely free. Check it out.
Acquisition = Gnutella only, I'm sorry to say. It uses the LimeWire core with a OS X interface.
the other clients are mainly either giFT frontends (Poisoned, XFactor, Liberty)
or mlDonkey (mlMac, xDonkey, ect..)

jaknudsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Larry Klassen:
I've posted already as a rookie, sorry for beating that but I really just don't know too much yet about Macs. Anyway, I'm looking to find a program that will work with my new (previously owned) Powerbook to download MP3's and other stuff.

Really, I want to be able to download MP3's as well as video, and full albums. I'm familiar with Azureus from the Win world, as well as Kazaa (which seems to be going downhill lately). Any thoughts for what would be best for my new Mac to download stuff? I'm thinking I'll probably go to two different sites for individual songs/files, and a different site for full movies/albums. Any specifics of what people use lately that works well?

Thanks again, folks - I'm very impressed with this site, and REALLY impressed with my recent switch to a Mac laptop.
I solely use Azureus and Acquisition on my PB.

Yonidass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 05:33 PM

Use VLC for playing video files on any platform. No need to mess with installing codecs and whatnot.

www.videolan.org

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 06:06 PM

A couple things:
- Welcome to the Mac platform and MacNN.
- Though you may now have a PowerBook, not all your questions go in this forum. There's an Applications forum where you'll find more answers/opinions about application related questions. There's a description of each sub-forum on the main 'NN forums page.
- I use Limwire with much success.
- Prepare for this thread to be locked/moved.

mattyd
Senior User
Mar 25, 2005, 06:15 PM

I'd stay away from Limewire. I use Acquisition and would recommend it highly. It has a very Mac-like interface, it's super-easy to use and it even integrates with iTunes.

NYK Ace
Senior User
Mar 25, 2005, 06:29 PM

acquisition is by far my favorite

limewire seems too slow for my tastes

Forum Links
Forum Rules