Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The time is nigh...

The time is nigh...
audiophilia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2005, 11:51 PM

I know it's probably done to death, but I thought as I get ready to leave Windows forever in search of the security-free land of the Mac, I'd like my own little thread where the experts here could point me in the right direction.

I'll be getting a 1.5, 15" PB next week. I use my computer for WP, WWW, email, (simple) image and (more complex) HTML editing. No gaming, no Excel, very little video editing.

I've read with some trepidation about dead pixels and white spots. Hopefully, I'll be spared. I will be getting Apple 3 year care and I have MS Office, PS, and Dreamweaver ready to go. So, for the Mac newbie and for my immediate needs, I feel I'm all set. I have very little experience with OSX, but from the time I've purloined at the Apple Store and on a friend's machine, I can tell you I am very impressed with it visually and as an operating system. I know that Macs are not perfect, but I am so fed up with Windows on so many levels that I am making 'the switch'.

So, if any of you kind folks have any suggestions for a complete newb on the initial use of a PB, or any user friendly tips you may have, I'd be very appreciative. Also, any extra gear that makes PB life easier.

FYI, I use a wireless network and I will be bumping up the RAM at a later date...

Cheers,

Anthony
www.audiophilia.com
The Online Journal for the Serious Audiophile

www.e46toronto.ca
Canada's premier BMW forum

Kyros
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 12:17 AM

The screen problems refer to the Titanium Powerbooks (which are several years old by now anyway), your aluminum one should have no problem.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2005, 12:21 AM

Don't worry bout it. I got my 15" 1.5ghz machine a feew months ago and it totally rawks, not a single problem with the screen here
Aloha

rparke1
Banned
Aug 13, 2005, 12:43 AM

i have a tipb which is a couple years old now, and i have seen many people get the white spots ect. for me, i have been spared of this from being protective and leaving a cloth between the screen and keyboard. even though yours is going to be brand spanking new id still advise on putting some protection between your screen and keyboard, jic

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2005, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kyros
The screen problems refer to the Titanium Powerbooks (which are several years old by now anyway), your aluminum one should have no problem.
Actually, the "white spots" screen problems started with the early AlBooks in 2003. I bought the last generation of TiBooks in December '02 (1 GHz TiBook), and it started after that.

AFAIK, it's no longer a problem with current AlBook builds.

iBorg

audiophilia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2005, 11:51 PM

thanks guys...keep the 'insider' tips coming....

www.audiophilia.com
The Online Journal for the Serious Audiophile

www.e46toronto.ca
Canada's premier BMW forum

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2005, 12:07 AM

Get ram asap!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ncsurfer
Aug 15, 2005, 12:36 AM

I bought the same model and I love it. You will be very happy. Get a good case and all is well.
15" 1.5Ghz Aluminum Powerbook
30gb iPod Photo

Forum Links
Forum Rules