Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Walmart's new movie download service

Walmart's new movie download service
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 01:46 PM

Video Downloads Store - Movies - Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart and Studios in Film Deal - New York Times

*It won't work with the iPod with Video, but it will work with a few other PVPs
*Movies playable through Xbox 360
*The prices are essentially the same as iTunes
*You can make backups of your movies in external HDs or DVDRs

How much of the market pie will it take?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 01:52 PM

Not Mac compatible...boo. Oh well, I can still pick up the DVDs for the same price on eBay.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 02:09 PM

Wal-mart was previously reported to have been opposed to the studios selling movies through iTunes because it would cut into their DVD sales. Now I guess we know that was kinda bullshit, huh? In any case, this might be good news for Apple, because clearly Wal-mart can no longer use that argument...

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 02:09 PM

I bet Steve's pissed.

Hopefully this will pave the way for these studios to allow their movies on the iTS soon enough.

Also, Walmarts service doesnt work with iPod. They lose.

...Even though I still think they'll sell a crap load of movies at first, but nobody will switch players to be able to use them. So I don't think very many people will jump on that boat. My guess is that it'll start off pretty big, but once these studios allow these movies on iTunes (which we all know HAS to be coming), I think iTunes will kill walmart's service.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 02:10 PM

They might have a larger selection (by far), but not being playable on iPods is a big mistake. People will not buy a brand new device just to use this service. Why are so many companies hellbent on killing the iPod? Why not work with it, make money off of it? Meh, whatever.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
They might have a larger selection (by far), but not being playable on iPods is a big mistake. People will not buy a brand new device just to use this service. Why are so many companies hellbent on killing the iPod? Why not work with it, make money off of it? Meh, whatever.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm willing to bet wal-mart (and all the other music/video services) would LOVE to be able to work with iPod and sell media for it...Apple just won't let them.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm willing to bet wal-mart (and all the other music/video services) would LOVE to be able to work with iPod and sell media for it...Apple just won't let them.
But aren't you able to play any mpeg movie file on an iPod? I don't own a video iPod, so I'm not too up to speed on the formats allowed to play on it. What are they, and what are the restrictions on video playback on an iPod?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
But aren't you able to play any mpeg movie file on an iPod? I don't own a video iPod, so I'm not too up to speed on the formats allowed to play on it. What are they, and what are the restrictions on video playback on an iPod?
My guess is that they have to include some sort of DRM on downloaded movies, and the iPod only supports Apple's proprietary DRM which Apple won't license out to people.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
My guess is that they have to include some sort of DRM on downloaded movies, and the iPod only supports Apple's proprietary DRM which Apple won't license out to people.
Good call. I'll be very interested to see how this service is embraced by the public then.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 02:52 PM

I'm an Apple Fanboy, but I'm still not paying that much for a DRM movie.

I guess I'll just keep buying them and ripping them myself.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
I'm an Apple Fanboy, but I'm still not paying that much for a DRM movie.

I guess I'll just keep buying them and ripping them myself.
Ditto.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 03:32 PM

[cough]rent[/cough]

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 03:39 PM

If I had a iPod Video I'd be doing the rent n' rip technique. I can't buy those movies from iTunes just yet. Too expensive for the quality.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2007, 03:40 PM

i'm assuming you could still buy these and convert them to play on an ipod though. still, i'm just not one to watch a lengthy feature on an ipod but i guess if you have a long commute or something...

tboparis
Feb 6, 2007, 04:00 PM

They do have a much wider selection than the ITS and they are walmart so will advertise in their stores easily.
But the 'walmart store' doesn't look so good and the movies aren't iPod or even Mac compatible.
therefore iTunes > Walmart even though Walmart will probably sell more films than iTunes.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by CMYKid View Post
i'm assuming you could still buy these and convert them to play on an ipod though. still, i'm just not one to watch a lengthy feature on an ipod but i guess if you have a long commute or something...
I wouldn't make that assumption just yet. If they have any sort of DRM (they'll have to) then it will be hard to convert them.

Oh, I just found this:
What is the Standard format?
The Standard format has quality similar to a DVD. It is optimally viewed on a PC or a TV (via a Windows Media Extender or connected PC). Videos in this format are higher resolution than videos in the Portable format. Standard format videos are encoded at a 640 x 480 resolution with an average bit rate of 1,500 kbps.

What is the Portable format?
The Portable format is optimized for on-the-go viewing using "PlayForSure" portable video players. If played on a PC, the image quality will not be as good as the higher resolution Standard format. These videos are not compatible with Apple iPods. Portable format videos are encoded at a 320 x 240 resolution with an average bit rate of 500 kbps.

Can I transfer a downloaded movie to a different PC?
Yes, but you need to activate the new PC and de-activate your previous PC. Simply call our Customer Service Representatives for help. They are available at 1-888-227-8458 (6 a.m. to 9 p.m. (PT), 7 days a week).
So you have to chose which format you want upon downloading, and you can only watch videos on one computer at a time. To switch computers, you have to call their customer service only during business hours.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 04:42 PM

This should open up a lot more movie studios to iTMS; Wal*Mart was pressuring them not to join iTMS because it would hurt their DVD sales.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Wal-mart was previously reported to have been opposed to the studios selling movies through iTunes because it would cut into their DVD sales. Now I guess we know that was kinda bullshit, huh? In any case, this might be good news for Apple, because clearly Wal-mart can no longer use that argument...
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
This should open up a lot more movie studios to iTMS; Wal*Mart was pressuring them not to join iTMS because it would hurt their DVD sales.
Sounds familiar.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 04:16 AM

So you all think people buy movies online because they want to watch them on their iPods? I know a lot of you are fanboys, but why would someone want to watch a whole movie on an iPod? On a plane bring a laptop and see it in a decent size, on the bus you most likely don't have a couple of hours and if you did why not bring a laptop? I just don't get the video on a tiny screen craze some people are in. Personally I think most people don't care about the iPod compatibility thing and will buy them from walmart because of the huge selection.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
So you all think people buy movies online because they want to watch them on their iPods? I know a lot of you are fanboys, but why would someone want to watch a whole movie on an iPod? On a plane bring a laptop and see it in a decent size, on the bus you most likely don't have a couple of hours and if you did why not bring a laptop? I just don't get the video on a tiny screen craze some people are in. Personally I think most people don't care about the iPod compatibility thing and will buy them from walmart because of the huge selection.
You can't hold a laptop in your front pocket.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 04:39 AM

You can't hold a laptop in your front pocket.
You're right, but I don't see a problem with carrying a laptop in your backpack or in a laptop case. If you're going to be inactive for multiple hours at a time, carrying a laptop seems to be well worth the not having to watch a 3" screen to me.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
You're right, but I don't see a problem with carrying a laptop in your backpack or in a laptop case. If you're going to be inactive for multiple hours at a time, carrying a laptop seems to be well worth the not having to watch a 3" screen to me.
There are also lots of people that have desktop computers. I don't have a laptop at this time, so I actually format avi TV shows down to 3gp format and watch them on my phone. It works well enough to keep me entertained.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 05:16 AM

There are also lots of people that have desktop computers. I don't have a laptop at this time, so I actually format avi TV shows down to 3gp format and watch them on my phone. It works well enough to keep me entertained.
I agree with this as well. If I was buying a digital movie it would be for at home on my desktop computer and on my laptop. I think ripping and watching a 20-40 minute TV show while on the bus on a tiny screen is maybe worth it, but I wouldn't buy the show for that purpose. That's all I am trying to say... I don't think that not being able to download the purchased movie straight to an iPod is going to effect sales very much since most people probably don't care about watching full movies on their iPods.

Forum Links
Forum Rules