Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So one of my spark plugs turned into a projectile yesterday...

So one of my spark plugs turned into a projectile yesterday...
centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 6, 2007, 01:03 PM

This is the weirdest car story that's happened to me... well, almost... anwyay:

It's really cold here. The car didn't like starting, but I drove to school anyway. I was coming home for lunch, and whenever a car is cold, I keep the RPMs very low until it's warm, under 3k. So I was driving down the main street to come home, going about 30-35mph, rpms were about 2200 or so. Out of nowhere, there's this huge "BOOM' and the car starts shaking like crazy and making all these rattling/puffing noises. I pull into a gas station (there was one about 1/4 of a block in front of me), and I pull into a stall and pop the hood. Everything looks okay, except one spark plug wire isn't attached. Weird. So I bend over the engine, and peer down the spark plug tube. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. I can see the threads on the head where the sparkplug used to be. I call around, and I eventually decide to drive it 1.5 miles home, because if I screw up the engine, oh well, hodna engines are cheap, and I'd like to put in a newer more potent one anyway. I then get a ride with a friend and buy a magnet ona stick and 4 new plugs, and shove the magnet in the hole to see if I can find any chunks of metal... nope. Then I installed 4 new plugs. Funny thing is now I have a nice dent on the underside of my hood on the bracing from where the plug rocketed out of it's place and smashed into the hood.

Weird eh? Anybody ever heard of this? I put these plugs in myself, about 2 years ago... so they definitely were not installed incorrectly.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Feb 6, 2007, 01:23 PM

Apparently the plug just unscrewed itsel out by vibration.
The engine is fine.
Replace the plug, tourque the plug a little tighter this time.

And yes, I have a VW do this several times.
I was afraid of over torqueing the plugs and stripping out the threads.
So they'd vibrate loose and POP POP POP.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2007, 01:25 PM

The threads were still intact???
Ive heard of Dodge and Ford V-8 engines blowing plugs, but that was due to lack of thread depth, and the threads would be obliterated.. Weird... maybe the plug got loose over time and just exploded out... I'd bet on an incorrect installation.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Ive heard of Dodge and Ford V-8 engines blowing plugs, but that was due to lack of thread depth, and the threads would be obliterated.. Weird... maybe the plug got loose over time and just exploded out... I'd bet on an incorrect installation.
It's weird that an incorrect installation would take 2 full years to surface.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Feb 6, 2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Dude, I've changed plugs dozens of times on hondas, dodges, subarus, fords, mercury's, caddys, geos, saturns, bla bla bla and there's never been a problem. I know how to screw in a freaking spark plug.

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 6, 2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I then get a ride with a friend and buy a magnet ona stick and 4 new plugs, and shove the magnet in the hole to see if I can find any chunks of metal... nope.
Hondas have aluminum heads... not gonna pick up much of that with a magnet.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2007, 02:22 PM

...so they definitely were not installed incorrectly.

no, of COURSE not.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Feb 6, 2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Hondas have aluminum heads... not gonna pick up much of that with a magnet.
Spark plugs aren't.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Feb 6, 2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by CMYKid View Post
no, of COURSE not.
Yeah, that's why this has happened in all my other cars, 2 years after I put in plugs.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Feb 6, 2007, 02:47 PM

I've had a Cessna blow the top part of a plug out.
The plugs actually screw together so they can be remanufactured.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2007, 03:10 PM

Ouch. That happened to my wife once, and just as with your case the spark plugs had been working fine for years.

Not good, and sad to say, not cheap either.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2007, 03:38 PM

Yeah, that's why this has happened in all my other cars, 2 years after I put in plugs.
which has nothing to do with anything. that IS why they call them mistakes. so its perfectly reasonable to assume that it'd happen on one and not on another.

regardless, its not THAT uncommon, properly installed or not. Repeated heating and cooling leads to repeated expansion and contraction, all the while subjected to vibration and internal pressure. Add extreme outside temperature (its not as if you live in FL) and the odds are good it'll happen sooner or later.

Replacements for Imports are certainly cheap though. For not much more than a used one you can get a virtually new engine since in a lot of countries you're taxed on your mileage once your engine passes a certain point. I put a replacement in one of my Supras that'd been pulled from somethingorother in Japan with under 40,000 on it. There are plenty of shops that specialize in only imported used engines.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2007, 03:48 PM

So are you going to build some new sparkplugs? Or find some perfectly good ones at the junk yard for a penny each?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 04:06 PM

yeah, nevermind I had my brain in backwards…
( Last edited by smacintush; Feb 6, 2007 at 04:30 PM. )
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 04:14 PM

Bet it wouldn't happen to an SUV.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eynstyn View Post
So are you going to build some new sparkplugs? Or find some perfectly good ones at the junk yard for a penny each?
hell, i would just search the street for the one that blew, shes probably still good

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 05:37 PM

Too bad it didn't go right through the hood. That would have made an awesome picture.

(Good thing for your wallet though...)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 05:45 PM

I've heard of that happening a few times, but with boats. My grandpa used to race hydroplanes, and he'd lose spark plugs sometimes at really high RPMs.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I've heard of that happening a few times, but with boats. My grandpa used to race hydroplanes, and he'd lose spark plugs sometimes at really high RPMs.
I'm sure this is related to the thermal expansion differential between the aluminum head and the steel plug. I'm just not sure what role the cold weather might have played. I wonder if it got so cold that the Aluminum contracted so much that the thread were compressed a little so that when the car warmed up the threads were too loose. (does that make sense? Anyone?)
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 05:54 PM

I'm picking up what you're putting down.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 06:03 PM

The thermal coefficient of expansion of aluminum is about twice that of iron. So if the heads were aluminum and plugs were iron, the fit would get tighter.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Feb 6, 2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by CMYKid View Post
which has nothing to do with anything. that IS why they call them mistakes. so its perfectly reasonable to assume that it'd happen on one and not on another.

regardless, its not THAT uncommon, properly installed or not. Repeated heating and cooling leads to repeated expansion and contraction, all the while subjected to vibration and internal pressure. Add extreme outside temperature (its not as if you live in FL) and the odds are good it'll happen sooner or later.

Replacements for Imports are certainly cheap though. For not much more than a used one you can get a virtually new engine since in a lot of countries you're taxed on your mileage once your engine passes a certain point. I put a replacement in one of my Supras that'd been pulled from somethingorother in Japan with under 40,000 on it. There are plenty of shops that specialize in only imported used engines.
Dude. I have a torque wrench. I installed the plugs to the suggested torque specs. They were gapped correctly, and installed according to the book. This was a freak occurance, which is why it was so weird. If I was some idiot who's never changed plugs before, then I could understand how it would be my fault, and an accident, but that's not what happened.

gargamel123
Feb 6, 2007, 11:38 PM

I ran over a spark plug today with my bus. I finally got my bus running but it sure is cold outside.

Rob everyone makes mistakes you are not immune. On the issue of the spark plug, these things happen to a lot of people. Everyone just loves jumping all over you when something happens to you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules