Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW or Apple 23" monitor

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW or Apple 23" monitor
Shootingstars
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 01:24 AM

I'm looking for a new LCD monitor and have narrow it down to the Dell 24" and Apple 23".
Which one is the better monitor?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 05:15 AM

Hi, there are some topics about several Dell displays, mainly because they are not that expensive like Apple Displays and the quality seems to be good, just they are not that pretty like AppleĀ“s.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=245594

I am not in the market for a LCD display, but if money is not an issue I would go for the Apple one, looks cooler ! But I would advice you to check it in person if that is an option since they are some issues with the 23 Apple model.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=254601

Hope someone can give you a better / real life advice since I have none of them.

jyen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 11:19 PM

I bought the 2405 by breaking down the specs and the overall value for the dollar. The Dell has the same pixel resolution than the 23 inch Cinema Display, is brighter, and is one inch larger diagonally. It can also swivel to portrait mode, has 4 different video source inputs, 4 USB ports, and media card reader. All for around $1,100 retail, but often cheaper when Dell is running specials. At the time of purchase I paid $100 more than a 20 inch Cinema Display. I have no regrets for my purchase and is simply the best value for the dollar out there compared to ANY LCD display.
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 17"
1.5 gig RAM, 120gig HD
1 gig iPod Shuffle, 10 gig 1st gen iPod
G4 Cube 450 1.5 gig RAM, 20 gig HD, 15" LCD

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 12:19 AM

I two of the 24" Dell displays and they are great. for more info I recommend reading through the thread above. I almost bought the 23" Apple display but the issues it was having and the fact fo a little more I got two of the Dell's I couldn't pass it up. One other big thing to me was the three year warranty verses the one year on the Apple displays.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

hickey
Mac Elite
May 28, 2005, 12:53 AM

If i was in the market for an lcd display, widescreen capabilitites would be a determining factor for me. I don't know if the dells are or not.

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 28, 2005, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by hickey
If i was in the market for an lcd display, widescreen capabilitites would be a determining factor for me. I don't know if the dells are or not.
Dell has the 2005FPW which is a 20" widescreen just like the Apple 20" and the 2405FPW is a widescreen also.

InThe2ndHalf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2005, 08:11 AM

I fell for the looks and name and bought the 23 ACD. It's hard to argue with the value position of the Dells but I did not need all the extra options and I really am trying to surround myself with things that speak to me on more than a technical level. Maybe I'm just trying to rationalize a decision that gave me less for more in the geek categories, but I sure like staring at the Apple design. Apple spent a lot of time on the curb appeal of the monitor and I'm okay giving them a little extra for their effort.
Jeff G

"Midway upon the journey..."

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2005, 04:41 PM

Everybody has an opinion on this topic. The Apple 23" at work has a terrible magenta cast to it, in addition to uneven backlighting which makes it look like an opened box of Neopolitan ice cream. My 2005FPW at home is a wonderfully affordable indulgence with no real color or backlighting issues. The extra input options are the real functional difference on the Dells.

Forum Links
Forum Rules