Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Merom temperatures vs current Core Duo chipsets

Merom temperatures vs current Core Duo chipsets
Spliff
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 03:33 AM

Anyone know if the Merom chips are supposed to run cooler than the current Core Duo chips that everyone is whining about.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2006, 01:20 PM

I'd also like to know when we'll see MBP's with Merom inside. I'm not buying the current MBP because of the whine and heat, but I'm in for the next.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2006, 01:45 PM

I don't know about them running cooler.

Merom chips — or Intel Core 2 Duo processors as they will be officially called — are supposed to run more efficient at the same clockspeed. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but 20-30% is the range...I think...

Current Intel Core processors run on architecture that's a derivative from the Pentium M. These new Core 2 chips will run on an all new architecture.

Basically here's what the Mac line-up is expected to look like by processor for the late-August/September time frame:

Merom (Intel Core 2 Duo) — MacBook Pro
Conroe (Intel Core 2 Duo and Extreme) — iMac
Woodcrest (Intel Xeon) — Mac Pro (replacement for the Power Mac G5)
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

brokenjago
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 02:00 PM

I thought that Merom chips were supposed to run in the range of 8% better at the same power consumption and clock speed. I might be wrong, but that makes more sense to me than a massive 20-30% performance increase all of a sudden.

As far as Apple's line later this year, I agree with everything Dave says and want to add that I think the Core Duo is staying in the MacBook for a nice long while. As soon as Merom comes out, they'll shove that guy in the MacBook Pro and probably even out the features between the 15' and 17' (15 will get a DL burner, hopefully firewire 800, the right-clicking trackpad, etc.)
Linkinus is king.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2006, 07:36 PM

Its not really 20-30% all of a sudden. Intel has been working on the Core 2 architecture now for a long time. Yonah (Core Duo) is just a placeholder until Merom.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 11:13 PM

TDP is the same... if Apple keeps their cooling system and application procedures the same, max temps should remain the same; idle temps could go in either direction.

Forum Links
Forum Rules