Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Real world battery Liife

Real world battery Liife
garyymd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 11:14 AM

What kind of real world battery life does the Macbook get?

With or without Wifi? with different brightness settings?
Especially interested if you've replaced the hard drive with a 7200rpm model.

Thanks,
-Al

jreniew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 12:24 PM

i 2nd the question with the 7200rpm drive and wifi...??? ?

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 12:27 PM

I maximized my battery by charging it full and then slowly disharging it.

With basic internet surfing, some GarageBand play, and some Adium chatting, I experienced just under four (4) hours of battery life.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 12:31 PM

I know this has been done to death, and not to mean to hi-jack this thread, but I really have never found a difinitive answer to this question: I have been working on my macbook all day, and for the whole day I have had it plugged into the mains, and for 1/2 the day, it has been fully charged. Does doing this for extended periods of time kill the battery, or has technology gotten better recently to prevent this?

My sisters VAIO has been virtually plugged in all its life, and the battery life s now around 40 mins - i dont want my MB to have the same thing happen to it!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 12:53 PM

The Ars review nicely covers MacBook battery life under three different usage states.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
I know this has been done to death, and not to mean to hi-jack this thread, but I really have never found a difinitive answer to this question: I have been working on my macbook all day, and for the whole day I have had it plugged into the mains, and for 1/2 the day, it has been fully charged. Does doing this for extended periods of time kill the battery, or has technology gotten better recently to prevent this?

My sisters VAIO has been virtually plugged in all its life, and the battery life s now around 40 mins - i dont want my MB to have the same thing happen to it!
From what I have experienced, just use it as a laptop. Plug it in if it can be, and have it run on battery power when possible. It's also savvy to drain the battery completely at least once a month to make sure your battery holds as much as possible.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
From what I have experienced, just use it as a laptop. Plug it in if it can be, and have it run on battery power when possible. It's also savvy to drain the battery completely at least once a month to make sure your battery holds as much as possible.
Completely discharging and recharging Lithium-based batteries actually kills them faster, and doesn't actually allow them to "hold" any more charge. All it does is recalibrates the electronic circuitry.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Completely discharging and recharging Lithium-based batteries actually kills them faster, and doesn't actually allow them to "hold" any more charge. All it does is recalibrates the electronic circuitry.
Really? I have had nothing but wonders happen when I do this. In fact, on my last iBook, after I did that every month, I'd gain a good 10-20 minutes on the charge life...

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 05:53 PM

This is from batteryuniversity.com --

"Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns."

That site has a lot of useful information about batteries, and how to take care of them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules