Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > yet another permissions issue with itunes now

yet another permissions issue with itunes now
OSxRulz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2002, 04:55 PM

What the hell... i copied over all my mp3's (about 5 gig worth) from my firewire drive but can't do a damn thing with them. Only if i click on an individual mp3 file and chg the permissions can i do that.

that's whacked. there's about 2,000 subfolders within my itunes music folder.
There is no way I'm gonna change permissions on over 5000 mp3s one at a time.

There has to be a simpler way.... and since chging permissions in OS x sucks butt... and won't apply to enclosing subdirectories.... WHAT THE HELL WE GONNA DO?
I can't copy them back on again.. cause that firewire drive is formatted now.

I just want to be able to play my music for christs sake... and be able to back them up to my firewire drive for safe storage.

Subzero Diesel949
Nov 10, 2002, 05:26 PM

If you change permissions for the main Music folder and click on "Apply to enclosed items" it doesn't work? Try that instead of every individual file.

Edit:

I didn't see that you couldn't do that. Again for the main Music folder make sure YOU are the owner before you try applying to enclosed items.

An alternative is to login as root user and make the permissions change from there (assuming you know about the dangers of using root). If you can't change ownership to yourself. Another way is to open up Terminal and type sudo chown -R yourname /Users/yourname/Music

Where yourname = your short name
CAUTION: Note the spaces...I typed the command exactly as how it should be. There is a space b/w sudo and chown, chown and -R, -R and yourname, and yourname and the file path.

Enter your admin password when prompted.
( Last edited by Subzero Diesel949; Nov 10, 2002 at 05:34 PM. )

philm
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2002, 06:04 PM

Try Batchmod which is a nice front end to chown and chmod in the command line. It lets you copy the permissions to all enclosed items, so you should be able to do this in one go. It's free and you can find it on versiontracker.com and (probably) all the others.
Phil

Subzero Diesel949
Nov 10, 2002, 06:32 PM

Heh heh...I wish I knew that someone already wrapped a GUI for this.

Downloaded it

OSxRulz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2002, 08:41 PM

I tried applying to enclosed items first.. but it won't do it for subdirectories.. only the items in that folder only.
so... i have 2000 subdirectories in my music like i said.. and that's a lot to do individually.

i tried logging in the terminal window as su - but it wouldn't accept my password... it just says "sorry" and i have only 1 user... and 1 password..
weird shite.

i don't know unix.. so im not comfortable doing it the other way.... lol

and i can't login as root user... it only gives me one option to login at start up... as myself... and it asks for PW only.... no space to put in the word "root"

sorry but im an idiot .... LOL

My music is not in the user folder.. it's on a 2nd partition all by itself. so that command line won't work will it?

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
If you change permissions for the main Music folder and click on "Apply to enclosed items" it doesn't work? Try that instead of every individual file.

Edit:

I didn't see that you couldn't do that. Again for the main Music folder make sure YOU are the owner before you try applying to enclosed items.

An alternative is to login as root user and make the permissions change from there (assuming you know about the dangers of using root). If you can't change ownership to yourself. Another way is to open up Terminal and type sudo chown -R yourname /Users/yourname/Music

Where yourname = your short name
CAUTION: Note the spaces...I typed the command exactly as how it should be. There is a space b/w sudo and chown, chown and -R, -R and yourname, and yourname and the file path.

Enter your admin password when prompted.

eno
Banned
Nov 10, 2002, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by OSxRulz:
LOL indeed.

I wish people like you weren't allowed to own Macs.

OSxRulz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2002, 09:12 PM

LOL... stfu idiot.. ur such a big help.

you shouldn't be allowed on this forum cause your life has no purpose except to play with urself.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2002, 09:14 PM

i tried logging in the terminal window as su - but it wouldn't accept my password... it just says "sorry" and i have only 1 user... and 1 password..
weird shite.

i don't know unix.. so im not comfortable doing it the other way.... lol

and i can't login as root user... it only gives me one option to login at start up... as myself... and it asks for PW only.... no space to put in the word "root"

My music is not in the user folder.. it's on a 2nd partition all by itself. so that command line won't work will it?
No one said to log in as root. Use sudo. It's the exact same thing without requiring that you enable root.

I'm not about to tell you how to enable root, either.

Did you try getting info on your disk and checking "ignore permissions on this volume?"

Also, all drives other than root are acessible from the CLI in /Volumes.

OSxRulz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2002, 11:32 PM

you are the man... sudo worked just fine.

thank you...

i need permissions cause i have a kid. ... lol

Subzero Diesel949
Nov 10, 2002, 11:41 PM

Dude, I told you to use sudo...

But it would be better to use Batchmod (search VersionTracker); does the same thing instead of going through the Terminal.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2002, 02:00 AM

i need permissions cause i have a kid. ... lol
You said you were the only user on your system.

eno
Banned
Nov 11, 2002, 04:27 AM

In response to OSxRulz' email:

thx

This is the message:

for the contructive help on the forum...

now **** off..... u cocksuckin prick.

i've forgotten more about macs than you will ever know.

now go **** ur ugly wife / cousin / daughter u loser.
Erm, yeah. Right.

Well, I hope you enjoy your "5,000" mp3s. Given that they only take up 5 gig of disc space, I must assume that they are all either under a minute long or encoded at the elite bitrate setting of 32kbps.

OSxRulz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 07:31 PM

well.. aren't you the idiot to think that they are all songs from the internet.. nice call noob.
actually.. i make my own music and do sound editing for interactive and most are my own clips or prefab sounds... which are fairly small.
2ndly... i was only guesstimating how many are actually there.

YOU ARE A COMPLETE IDIOT AND SHOULD BE BANNED FROM THE FORUM.

so stfu and begone already.

go hang out at the teenie boppers forum at microsoft... maybe you can spread some sunshine over there... and go fist -fuk urself while ur at it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules