Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Canopus ADVC110 not showing up in iMovie 09

Canopus ADVC110 not showing up in iMovie 09
Headshot
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2010, 12:25 AM

Can't think for the life of me which forum to post this thread into so here it goes:

I have a Canopus 110 from about 3 yrs ago I nvr got much use out of so I hooked it up again.
But now I have a MacPro 4,1 and I have to use the FW400 port on the Canopus to the 800 port
on the front of my MP.

I have a 2nd cable that is a converter cord. Now the blue lights go on the Canopus but iMovie 09
says no camcorder connected. I have the box set to Analog, and inputs are VHS via RCA plugs.

Any idea what the source of the problem is? Haven't been any Canopus posts here for quite awhile...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2010, 05:05 AM

Can you see the device listed in System Profiler? Have you successfully used the device with iMovie in the past?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Headshot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2010, 11:25 AM

I later realized it was NOT an adapter, apparently I got the right 6 -->9 cable I just had a generic 9 pin extension in there!

So upon removing that and just using one cable, at least iMovie recognized the 'camera'.
THEN I couldn't get anything but a blue screen and nothing came up.
THEN I rebooted, unplugged replugged the cable, and press play, voia la. It worked!

Started the entire VHS tape, got late went to bed, woke up to a 58gb dv file.
NOW will show the event in the even library, but I can't do a thing with the file in iMovie.
Uneditable. It does, however play in Quicktime!

You know how some people just get everything to work their way usually the first time? It all comes easy? I'm not that guy....

Headshot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2010, 11:27 AM

I shoulda said, when I highlite my new video it states "No Matching Video" in the box.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 10, 2010, 02:20 PM

It wasn't clear what forum this should go in, since the problem moved around. It appears to be an Applications problem today, so I'm sending it over there.

Headshot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2010, 10:29 PM

UPDATE: (and apparently this goes back to hardware LOL)

So after some research it appears that for the Canopus' connection stability, only the Belkin brand is well-built enough to keep the connection constant on a 6 to 9 pin cable! I know before my Amazon order comes that it's a port issue because if I hold it a certain way the feed comes through in the iMovie interface, lasts for about 5 secs, then freezes, stops recording, jiggle the jack up and then it goes all blue!

Will have to wait until that cable comes.
The reason I thought it important to post this too, now is the time to transfer your VHS for good. Storage is super cheap, the apps are here to make it easy, and your VHS tapes are NOT getting any younger....

Forum Links
Forum Rules