Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 350 slot load cd-rom issue

iMac 350 slot load cd-rom issue
MeteoCorban
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2003, 06:25 PM

Something is SERIOUSLY wrong with my cd-rom. I'll put a cd in and it will start to load up but then it starts making this weird scratchy noise and just keep speeding up then back down, and then the only way to get the cd out is manually. Is it dead or has anyone else come across this problem and/or a solution?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 21, 2003, 06:58 PM

Try booting from a CD and see what happens. That way you'll know whether it's a software or hardware issue. Put a bootable CD in the computer, then restart and hold the 'c' key until you see the smiley Mac. Report back what happens and I'll try and help you further.

MeteoCorban  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2003, 08:39 PM

Nope, it won't even read a bootable cd. I knew it was a hardware issue before, though. I forgot to mention that. Sorry. Still, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 22, 2003, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by MeteoCorban:
Nope, it won't even read a bootable cd. I knew it was a hardware issue before, though. I forgot to mention that. Sorry. Still, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I think your only option is to replace the drive. How comfortable are you working inside a computer? It's pretty simple to replace the optical drive and I found them for sale here. I imagine you could put in the slot loading DVD-ROM drive if you wanted. They're the same price at that site at least.

stashu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2003, 12:06 PM

My daughter had the same problem with that same model iMac. It turned out to be an extension problem(this was back in OS 9). I don't remember which extension though.

MeteoCorban  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2003, 03:20 PM

I do use OS9. Anyone know what extension it might be?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 26, 2003, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by MeteoCorban:
I do use OS9. Anyone know what extension it might be?
If it's an extension problem, it would likely be the Apple CDROM extension. But you've already figured out it's a hardware problem, right? If you can't boot from a CD without problem it's not a software issue. Booting from a CD doesn't use the drive installed on your hard disk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules