Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anyone use a PDA as an iPod replacement?

Anyone use a PDA as an iPod replacement?
Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2005, 11:14 AM

I need a PDA for the usual "PDA stuff", scheduling, contacts, taking notes, etc. The thing is, I don't want to lug around yet another device along with my iPod and cell phone. Ideally, I'd sell my iPod on eBay and get a PDA with good storage space for music.

I'm looking at the Lifedrive. However, the negatives of getting a Lifedrive are:
a) it is too big
b) it is too expensive (although I could try to get a deal on eBay)
c) lose iTunes-iPod seamless synchronizing
d) lose iPod navigation, playlisting, etc (or do media players on PDAs have playlists?)
e) I've supported iPods since they first came out, this would feel like a betrayal

Positives:
a) it fufills my need to combine a mp3 player and PDA since it has tons of disk space
b) it is a beautiful looking machine, huge LCD
c) latest technology in a PDA

Does anyone use a PDA for listening to music, or as an iPod/mp3 player replacement? I guess my biggest concern is the size of the Lifedrive, or even other Palm PDAs that are thinner but still similar width/height dimensions. Any thoughts?

And replacing my cell phone, a brand new Moto V3, with a Treo or other cell phone + PDA device is not an option after I just bought that phone!

Thanks!
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules