Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best Keyboard to buy

Best Keyboard to buy
SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2006, 11:29 PM

I am going to start a new thread here because the most recent one about this is quite old (other than the other current one, also wanted the post to get more visibility).

I am getting a new powerbook and now need a keyboard (prefer to use larger keyboard when it is at my desk). What, in your opinions are the best keyboards. Ones that are not too large, have good keypress and feel. Color is not too much of a big deal to me, but if it looks to cheap then I probably wont want it. I have been trying to find information on a keyboard that I used to like but never bought. It was one that had a row of colored keys at the top i think. I had heard that it felt really nice to type on. Bluetooth would be nice too!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2006, 11:31 PM

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2006, 11:32 PM

ahh yes.. I heard about that one.. heh.. I have heard it will be quite expensive.

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2006, 04:37 AM

Too bad they got the enter/return key wrong.

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2006, 04:42 AM

I've been tempted to try this:

http://www.fentek-ind.com/kbmmacusb.htm

I hate having to move my hand a long distance to the mouse (over the numeric keypad that I never use).

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2006, 09:05 AM

I use the numeric keys a lot. in excel, quicken etc. so that particular one would not work for me. otherwise it looks ok. If you get it let us know how it is!

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2006, 09:11 AM

What do you mean?

Originally Posted by Bwa
Too bad they got the enter/return key wrong.

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by SpinCycle
What do you mean?
I type the character '|' a lot, and expect it to be a long key above return. On that keyboard, the return key is huge, a square, and generally unlike any keyboard I've ever seen.

I use about 8 keyboards in one day, so it's good to have a keyboard not too unlike the others.

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2006, 12:51 PM

I have been using a Kensington Slim Type keyboard for the last few months and I love it.

The key switchs are similar to those found in laptops so the keys are easy to press and have a nice feel. It also features iTunes controls above the F keys. This the best feature because you can control iTunes without disrupting your workflow. It's pretty cheap too..

http://us.kensington.com/html/5463.html

-brian

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Actually, since they put up that teaser, I remember hearing that what's coming out in February is something based on the Optimus concept, but with three keys (which would be compatible with the "Good things come in small packages" line). Now that might be kinda useful, but probably not for whatever its price would be.

I bet it'd be a few years before a full-size Optimus-style keyboard would be feasible at a reasonable price, even from a high-volume company like Logitech or MS.

I am, as usual, too lazy to dig up the source for my conjecture, but I think it was engadget, within the past 3 weeks.

edit: Okay, I'll be unlazy for a change: The Optimus mini three.
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Jan 26, 2006 at 05:51 PM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
edit: Okay, I'll be unlazy for a change: The Optimus mini three.
Sigh. Pretty useless. Though I never believed for a second that the actual keyboard would be out this year (or next, for that matter).


uicandrew
Senior User
Jan 26, 2006, 08:37 PM

i was initially waiting for logitech's built for mac s530 wireless keyboard/mouse set, but i didn't know kensingtom made wireless sets for a mac.

i have to use a set with the actual apple keys printed on it. I haven't been a mac user long enough to know what keys are which (option vs. open-apple)

uicandrew
Senior User
Jan 31, 2006, 01:47 PM

Update: I bought and received the Kensington Wireless Optical Desktop for the Mac. Boy, was I disappointed. I thought it would be really nice because of the recommendations that MacWorld gave it. They said that they had no complaints about the keyboard.

I thought the keyboard was really stiff. I've used Logitech keyboard (LX500) and the apple bluetooth keyboard, and a laptop keyboard that was virtually as good as the ibook.

Now i'll be waiting for Logitech's Mac-specific desktop set, and suck up and pay the return shipping of the logitech set
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

cdetdi
Jan 31, 2006, 02:47 PM

I like my MacAlly Icekey a great deal. Takes some time to get used to because of stiff resistance, but it looks awesome and types great too!
I'd rather be playing ultimate...

1.5G4 15" AlBook

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 04:45 AM

Is the apple bluetooth keyboard any good?

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 1, 2006, 05:09 AM

it is a very basic no frills keyboard.

pros: wireless, no dongle (for BT), small footprint
cons: no extra buttons or hotkeys.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

OreoCookie
Feb 1, 2006, 06:25 AM

How come nobody has mentioned the Tactile Pro yet? I love it, it really increases the number of letters per second
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Dr.Michael
Feb 1, 2006, 06:28 AM

I agree that typing on a 15 inch powerbook is a bad experience. On a 12 inch Powerbook it is much better because of the more ergonomic palmrest.

At my desk I usually have an extra small logitech keyboard. It is even smaller than a powerbook keybord because I find that I can type faster (shorter moves) on a small keybord. And switching between powerbook and external keyboard is easier.

At home I use a small apple keybord (one that came with a gray iMac DV). Since I have seen Dennis Nedry (Jurassic park ) typing on such a small apple keyboard (a quadra keybord), I couldn't resist to buy one with a similar layout .

mduell: This is a great link. Why did nobody have this idea before? But yes, it must be very expensive.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 06:42 AM

Does the Apple wireless keyboard perform well? no lag or anything?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
How come nobody has mentioned the Tactile Pro yet? I love it, it really increases the number of letters per second
I have one... I love it!


himself
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by aapljack
I have been using a Kensington Slim Type keyboard for the last few months and I love it.

The key switchs are similar to those found in laptops so the keys are easy to press and have a nice feel. It also features iTunes controls above the F keys. This the best feature because you can control iTunes without disrupting your workflow. It's pretty cheap too..

http://us.kensington.com/html/5463.html

-brian
I considered getting the Slim Type, until I realized that it didn't have any usb ports (not really critical, but a fair consideration for me), and the I saw the Macally Icekey. I like the fact that it's low profile and uses laptop-style keycaps.

They also have a similar bluetooth version coming out soon. I may wait for this one instead.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 06:08 PM

The Apple Wireless Keyboard. A close second would be one of Logitech's wireless keyboards. Everything else is generally crap IMHO.

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2006, 03:05 PM

The optimus....Drool...

Oh

My

God

nerd
Senior User
Feb 3, 2006, 04:03 PM

I bought this one but I couldn't stand how loud it was. Isn't suposed to use the same type of switches as the Extended II? I never remember my keyboard being that loud.

I just tried the Logitech S 530 and it seems good. I need another week with it before I can make my final decision. The mouse that comes with this keyboard it lame. I went back to my Logitec MX Laser mouse. The buttons aren't in a good place. I use buttons for close window, enter and to hide apps. The 530's mouse didnt' cut it for that.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2006, 04:06 PM

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus-mini/

"The keyboard is in production. The first lot is set to arrive on May 15.
Retail price of Optimus mini three is $100 (subject to change after April 2)."
ice

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 06:40 PM

I love my Macally iceKey.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 08:15 PM

I bought the Tactile pro. I liked the feel of the keys however, I thought it was way too loud when in use. I returned it.

edit-- I guess someone beat me to this.. ooops.

OreoCookie
Feb 4, 2006, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by nerd
I bought this one but I couldn't stand how loud it was. Isn't suposed to use the same type of switches as the Extended II? I never remember my keyboard being that loud.
Fortunately, I have a very patient roommate in my office
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

nerd
Senior User
Feb 4, 2006, 02:07 PM

I should have said the Tactile Pro is a very nice keyboard. I loved it except for the loudness. It you can deal with that then the keyboard is an absolute keeper.

I just thought about what it is. The keyboard had a weird sound when you hit the keys, not the switches but like the springs were oscillating a little bit as they came to rest. I think that's the best way to describe it. If they put some kind of dampening in the keyboard maybe that'd help.
( Last edited by nerd; Feb 4, 2006 at 02:14 PM. )

EndlessMac
Senior User
Feb 5, 2006, 12:50 AM

SpinCycle, if you are getting an external keyboard for your PowerBook then you should consider the Kensington Slim Type. So far it's the only keyboard that I have found which is close to the nice feel and comfort of PowerBook keyboards. I still wish I could connect my PowerBook to my Power Mac but the Kensington is close enough that I don't have to.

Originally Posted by himself
I considered getting the Slim Type, until I realized that it didn't have any usb ports (not really critical, but a fair consideration for me), and the I saw the Macally Icekey. I like the fact that it's low profile and uses laptop-style keycaps.
I also own the Macally IceKey along with the Slim Type. The IceKey is more stiff than the Slim Type so if you are used to typing on a PowerBook then it might take a little getting used to. I like the feel of the Slim Type better since it is close to my PowerBook. The standard free keyboard for the Power Mac is also a lot softer than the IceKey so you can also base your opinions on that.

I also didn't like how the Slim Type didn't have any USB ports but the typing experience is more important to me after hours of typing. Hopefully they will have a new version with USB ports, but I have enough USB ports on my Power Mac that I don't really need any more for now.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 11:11 AM

The Logitech S530 Laser Desktop for Mac.

So Far, I like this keyboard and mouse a lot. It's got a good feel, and the software seems to be very good. It's desgined for Mac, so there are things like iTunes, iPhoto, and even an eject button.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 02:03 PM

I would probably buy that Logitech set in a heartbeat if it had Bluetooth. It's not absolutely necessary for me, but I really like when my keyboard and mouse have a bunch of extra programmable buttons, and that Logitech set is one of the few extra-buttony combos that would look right with my iMac. But now that I have a Mac with built in Bluetooth, I'm not gonna use up a USB port for a friggin' wireless kbd/mouse.

I find it kinda mind-boggling that neither MS and Logitech find it worth the effort to get their Mac drivers working with their Bluetooth products. They both make some great peripherals and useable drivers, and their Bluetooth stuff can be used with a Mac, but the extra keys don't work. I can't imagine there's a big technical hurdle, if Gamepad Companion will work with their stuff and the OS can obviously see all the buttons.. You'd think it'd be worth the effort now that almost every shipping Mac comes with Bluetooth standard. Rrrr.

</rant>

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 03:37 PM

Bluetooth takes a lot more power, and is more expensive to produce. That's why there are few Bluetooth keyboards out there. (althought I agree - if they are already made, why not add mac support?)

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac
I also own the Macally IceKey along with the Slim Type. The IceKey is more stiff than the Slim Type so if you are used to typing on a PowerBook then it might take a little getting used to. I like the feel of the Slim Type better since it is close to my PowerBook.
Hmm. I tried the Slim Type in the store and it felt, well, cheap.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

EndlessMac
Senior User
Feb 5, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Hmm. I tried the Slim Type in the store and it felt, well, cheap.
I guess we have a difference of opinion. Maybe it's the softer feel of the keys that makes you think it's cheap, but I like it compared to the stiffer IceKey. The IceKey does feel sturdier but like I said for me it's about the overall feel when I type. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Everyone's opinions are going to be a little different anyway.

joe
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
The Logitech S530 Laser Desktop for Mac.

So Far, I like this keyboard and mouse a lot. It's got a good feel, and the software seems to be very good. It's desgined for Mac, so there are things like iTunes, iPhoto, and even an eject button.
If you don't mind sharing your opinion on the S530 hardware Have you tried gaming with the S530 mouse? If so how does it's response compare to a corded mouse? Any stuttering or lag issues for faster moving games?

On the software side: Have you come across any apps where the tilt wheel doesn't work? Does the latest Logitech software finally allow programming the mouse buttons differently per application (ie center button performs one function in DiabloII, a different function in TextEdit, and yet a different funciton in Finder)? Ditto for some of the extra keys on the keyboard while I'm asking.

I'm very tempted by this new Logitech S530 Desktop. The keyboard looks impressive! But I wish the mouse design was closer to my current Logitech MX310. I've grown accustom to using all 6 buttons in OSX: 2 for expose (all windows, desktop), 2 for browser (back forth), and the normal left/right click. Well, I'd prefer the MX310's symmetrical design too. But as I'm right handed, the S530 mouse wouldn't present a problem. Too bad Logitech didn't offer a wireless version of the MX310 tho.

Mark XV
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 06:54 PM

http://store.yahoo.com/pckeyboards/en104bl.html

build like a tank, a little loud, but that's audible feedback

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 03:39 AM

Tactile Pro without question. It's the best for typing and the option/shift-option labels are a nice touch.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2006, 03:59 AM

I really like my Tactile Pro, noise and all. However, my main recommendation would be to try several keyboards out before you buy it one possible because they're notoriously idiosyncratic. For example, I really like my 15" Powerbook keyboard, contrary to the experience of an earlier poster here. There are just so many variables and personal preferences involved in keyboards that you really just have to try several of them out and see what feels best to you for your typing usage. Let us know what you decide.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 04:05 AM

Yeah, trying them out is good if that's possible. I'd be interested though to hear if there's been any Tactile Pro user for one week or so that switched to another keyboard.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 02:39 PM

I'm going to put in another vote for the Tactile Pro. I absolutely love the feel. It's a bit noisy (my housemate says he can hear it through the thin wall between our rooms), but I personally like that. I really feel like I'm flying through the keys with it.

Edit: 600 posts! At least I made it before I hit 6 years.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2006, 07:14 AM

Well, it seems the Optimus has been delayed to the end of 2006… I would like an alternative version with no LCDs… just well designed keys and at half the cost. The keyboard is really beautiful.

And the optimus mini three sure has some good use

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Feb 20, 2006, 07:26 PM

I'll put in another vote for the Kensington. I have the Windows version at work and it doesn't feel cheap at all. My only complaint here is that it's missing the small grouping between the main keys and the number pad where you normally find print screen, page down, page up, etc. Instead, these keys are immediately to the right of the main keys, so I have be careful when pressing enter. I've adjusted now, but it was tough at first.

Also, I personally hate having tons of extra buttons on my keyboard. In this sense I think the Apple keyboard is perfect. Every key has a purpose, and there's no additional bevel or whever around the edge. Perfect. I use the corded variety with my iMac, and a bluetooth one with my PowerBook (and to answer previous questions, the bluetooth response is just fine, can't tell it's not wired).

If I could just find a bluetooth mouse that was sold seperate of a keyboard and worked well in games for the PowerBook my setup would be complete. I rejected the idea behind the MX900 because I fail to see the point of a bluetooth mouse if you have to use a USB port to charge it. I'd rather use the rechardable alkalines.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets
I rejected the idea behind the MX900 because I fail to see the point of a bluetooth mouse if you have to use a USB port to charge it. I'd rather use the rechardable alkalines.
As mentioned in many threads, you DON'T need to plug the cradle into a USB port for any reason whatsoever. The cradle has its own power supply and can charge the mouse far from your computer.

Rumor
Feb 20, 2006, 08:10 PM

Any keyboards that have backlit buttons that are worth anything?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 08:28 PM

now that they are putting backlit keyboards in the powerbooks maybe they should have a Apple Keyboard Lite.. with a light in it.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Feb 21, 2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
As mentioned in many threads, you DON'T need to plug the cradle into a USB port for any reason whatsoever. The cradle has its own power supply and can charge the mouse far from your computer.
And then when I'm on the road, the battery runs out, and I left the charger at home because I wanted to reduce clutter in my bag, what do I do? The whole point of having a bluetooth mouse with a PowerBook is that you can throw the mouse in your computer bag without any other gizmos. If I have to take the charger and the wire to plug it in why don't I just take a wired mouse? Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2006, 07:44 PM

^ Your arguments don't make sense.

First off, you stated that you didn't purchase an MX900 because its charging cradle needed to be plugged into a USB port. I pointed out that this is wrong.

Secondly, you claim not wanting to carry a charger around, but in your previous post you stated that you'd be willing use rechargeable alkalines. Huh?

Finally, you argue that the whole point of having a BT mouse is for portability. I'd like to disagree. I ONLY use my BT mouse at my desktop. I'd never carry a portable mouse for short trips, wired or wireless; the added bulk isn't worth it.
( Last edited by f1000; Feb 21, 2006 at 07:55 PM. )

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Feb 22, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
^ Your arguments don't make sense.

First off, you stated that you didn't purchase an MX900 because its charging cradle needed to be plugged into a USB port. I pointed out that this is wrong.

Secondly, you claim not wanting to carry a charger around, but in your previous post you stated that you'd be willing use rechargeable alkalines. Huh?

Finally, you argue that the whole point of having a BT mouse is for portability. I'd like to disagree. I ONLY use my BT mouse at my desktop. I'd never carry a portable mouse for short trips, wired or wireless; the added bulk isn't worth it.
Ok, you're right about not needing the USB port to charge. Fine, but I would still need the charger. The problem is the charger and the wire it plugs in with, not wheter it uses USB or not.

I'd use the rechargable alkalines because I'd have the charger at home. But if I was travelling and the batteries ran out, I could just stop at any gas station and buy normal alkalines.

As for your third point, yes, for quick trips around town I wouldn't bother bringing the mouse. But if I'm going out of town for a week or so I'd like to setup my laptop in my hotel room (or wherever I would be working) and have an actual mouse instead of the trackpad. I'm talking about a situation where you travel to another city for a week or two to work, but you pretty much work at the same desk during that week. Could I deal with the extra hassle of the charger while I was there? Yes, but I'd rather not have to. That's why I would prefer a BT mouse that could run off normal alkaline batteries if I so desired.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets
I'd use the rechargable alkalines because I'd have the charger at home. But if I was travelling and the batteries ran out, I could just stop at any gas station and buy normal alkalines.
The MX900 can use normal alkalines (AA) as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules