Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just Ordered New Ti - How Long to Ship

Just Ordered New Ti - How Long to Ship (Page 5)
fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by bhaggs:
<STRONG>I have yet to receive this email. What kind of order numbers do you guys have?</STRONG>
W2071955

MTBWP2K
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2001, 01:56 PM

I found a 667 in seattle after ordering from an online reseller that had them in stock but couldn't get one to me for 4 days. I called a few stores, found one in stock and bought it.

The only reason I see for purchasing through the apple store online is to get a BTO. Apple store takes forever and they charge you sales tax and shipping.

A few months ago I ordered the Dual USB ibook from the Apple store. And waited. After a few days I walked a couple blocks from my house to the apple reseller, bought one, saved money on shipping, and walked home. Then I cancelled my order with the apple store.

Plus this way you keep local resellers in business.

J.

mlaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2001, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by MTBWP2K:
<STRONG>I found a 667 in seattle after ordering from an online reseller that had them in stock but couldn't get one to me for 4 days. I called a few stores, found one in stock and bought it.

The only reason I see for purchasing through the apple store online is to get a BTO. Apple store takes forever and they charge you sales tax and shipping.

A few months ago I ordered the Dual USB ibook from the Apple store. And waited. After a few days I walked a couple blocks from my house to the apple reseller, bought one, saved money on shipping, and walked home. Then I cancelled my order with the apple store.

Plus this way you keep local resellers in business.

J.</STRONG>
I wasn't aware that you could buy the top-end 667/48GB configuration anywhere but the Apple Store. I've looked around online, and I haven't found any other vendors selling the 667/48/DVD configuration.

A while ago I asked at CompUSA about buying a combo-drive iBook, and they told me that they weren't allowed to sell them, and that I could only buy them through the Apple Store.

Of course, I may be wrong :-)

If you know of any online vendors that have 667/48/DVD systems in stock, please post them and I'll GLADLY take my business to them if they can get me a system quicker than Apple can.

MTBWP2K
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2001, 05:53 PM

There are a couple stores in the Seattle area that can get the 48GB and combo congigs--but those take two weeks. You still save money on shipping and support local apple resellers however.

I bought the standard config--the 30 gig drive has been pretty good for FCP so far.

J.

<bradd>
Oct 31, 2001, 07:12 PM

I just called the Apple Store to check on my order. The original estimate of twelve days would land the ship date on November 1st, which is tomorrow. The rep on the phone said the same thing, stating that my Powerbook would probably ship early next week (Nov. 5, 6 or 7 I would assume). Hopefully that will work out.

I ordered the following configuration through the Apple Store for Education.
667MHz G4, CDRW, 48GB, 512MB RAM, Airport

--bradd

Cellery
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 07:36 PM

Just got off the phone with Scott from Apple Higher Ed., and he said my PBG4 (stock 550 with an AirPort card) should be shipping on 11-10-01 from the Sacramento warehouse. The fact that I ordered on 10-16 doesn't seem to have much bearing on the shipping time.

I was quoted 10 days when ordering it, but it'll be 19 business days/26 total days by the time the thing ships. Hope everyone else is having better luck with their Apple Education Orders...

<w9design2.0>
Oct 31, 2001, 07:50 PM

Just got a shipment notification from apple!
Order number W207379x

Dear Apple Customer,

The following products shipped on 10/31/2001. Transit time will
depend upon whether you have chosen standard or premium freight
options. If your order is shipping standard freight, it should arrive
within 10 days of shipment.

Product # Product Description Qty Ext Price
__________ ________________________________________ ____ ________________

__________________________________________________ _______________________
Z03Y00RT9 CPU PBG4/667/512-2/48G/DVD/AP/LL/LL 1 3,299.00

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2001, 08:09 PM

I'm sorry to say that some apple reps don't know what they are talking about...they may say that the powerbooks come from sacramento when in reality all new powerbooks are coming directly from taiwan...I was giving this same information when my powerbook was shipped however it was not sacramento but taiwan....

<JonPBG4>
Oct 31, 2001, 08:22 PM

I placed my order online with Apple (550, standard config.) and it gave me a 20 day shipping delay estimate. I did see the post of how the online order status is not real-time, but I just checked and it says partially shipped.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 10:06 PM

my 667/512/DVD/48G just shipped today! With 2-day FedEx, it should be here Friday! Today was the 11th business day from the 16th.

mlaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2001, 10:40 PM

Mine finally shipped today!

W2080xxx 667/48GB/DVD ordered on the 18th

I really hope I get it Friday so I can play with it over the weekend.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2001, 10:55 PM

My PBG4/667/512-2/48G/DVD/AP/LL/LL, ordered on the 16th with an Education discount, just shipped! (W20750xx) Happy day! And my car is fixed too...

I hope it comes by Monday--I have Monday off

<w9design2.0>
Oct 31, 2001, 11:16 PM

Mine was shipped from Rancho Cordova, CA

667/512/48GB/DVD ordered 10/16 evening

<bradd>
Nov 1, 2001, 03:10 AM

Has anyone who ordered a Ti 667 (or 550 for that matter) with a CDRW received their machine yet? I'm starting to think that is what is causing the delay with my order...

massey
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2001, 03:37 AM

I think anything bto from apple is causing the extended delay on machines whether you have the 48gig drive or the cdrw...the standard configs seem to be reaching the customers by now...

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2001, 07:07 AM

Can anybody post their FedEx tracking info here for comparison?

Mine says it was shipped at 1am on the 30th (PST, 50 hours ago from this writing), but I have no other entries except ones that originate in Taoyuan. That bit scares me. I suspect it's in Anchorage now, and that's what FedEx told me tonight, but then again, they also originally told me I'd have it yesterday. Slow airplanes? Bad weather?

I know my request is bordering on psycho, but I really can't afford to have FedEx slack on me right now, not having my own computer and all.

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: direktor ]

Dat Nguyen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2001, 09:07 AM

Arrived at FedEx Ramp OAKLAND CA 11/01/2001 00:23 �
Left FedEx Origin Location RANCHO CORDOVA CA 10/31/2001 21:45 �
Pickup status RANCHO CORDOVA CA 10/31/2001 16:49 �Pre-routed meter pkg picked up

bamboo flyfisher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2001, 09:57 AM

Received this morning (11/1) from Apple on my 10/17 order (W2076516) for a Titanium 550/256, 30 Gig HD, CD-RW, Airport card:

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

We appreciate your recent Apple Store order. Due to an unexpected supply delay, we are unable to ship your PowerBook by the date you were originally quoted. Our goal is to ship your order within the next 10 business days.

If you prefer, you may change or cancel your order and receive a prompt refund by calling us at 1-800-676-2775, extension 56500, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. central time, Monday through Friday, or 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. central time, Saturday and Sunday. If we do not hear from you, we will continue processing your order. If you provided an email address when you placed your order, you will receive an email notification once your order has been shipped.

We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience this delay has caused you. Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store!

Isn't that SPECIAL! At least they could have explained the "supply delays" and offered some kind of token freeby. Am very disappointed with Apple on this one. Didn't they know when the order was placed that it could be a month to ship, or is this something that just came up with one of the components (CD-RW)? If I ran my biz this way, well you know...

bhaggs
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2001, 10:14 AM

I just got that email as well late last night.

I have a 550/256/dvd/30gig/airport coming. Possibly the airport cards are holding us back. But I assume they would have a fresh stock of those considering the higher up models come standard with it.

Yet this comes exactly on the day of 10 business days and I assume this is just their safeguard, merely an automatic response obviously.

I called on Monday about when my powerbook would be shipping and he stated that it would be on Friday (11/2). But obviously that is yet to be seen.

So we'll see what happens.

Bryan Haggs
Keep it real, keep it happy, keep it hardcore!

bamboo flyfisher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2001, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by bhaggs:
<STRONG>I just got that email as well late last night.

I have a 550/256/dvd/30gig/airport coming. Possibly the airport cards are holding us back. But I assume they would have a fresh stock of those considering the higher up models come standard with it.

Yet this comes exactly on the day of 10 business days and I assume this is just their safeguard, merely an automatic response obviously.

I called on Monday about when my powerbook would be shipping and he stated that it would be on Friday (11/2). But obviously that is yet to be seen.

So we'll see what happens.

Bryan Haggs</STRONG>
I called Apple this morning and they said they couldn't tell me what the problem was, it was confidential. But they did promise that I would get it within the next 10 business days. When I asked them to put it in writing they said they couldn't do that. But they did say that they were required by the FTC to ship within the notice period or send out another delay notice. Okay, swell. So this notice could be followed by another notice I ask? Well, the Apple Store really doesn't like to do that they said...
And that, dear friends, is how Apple proposes to capture a chunk of the other 95% of the market.

Tsopranomb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2001, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by mlaster:
<STRONG>Mine finally shipped today!

W2080xxx 667/48GB/DVD ordered on the 18th

I really hope I get it Friday so I can play with it over the weekend.</STRONG>

I have the same exact config....and I ordered mine on the 16th....so, how the heck did u get urs to ship before mine????

WHAT GIVES APPLE????? I'm losing patience...I know its worth the wait...but what could possibly be holding them out this long???? This is becoming absurd already.....

mlaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2001, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Tsopranomb:
<STRONG>

I have the same exact config....and I ordered mine on the 16th....so, how the heck did u get urs to ship before mine????

WHAT GIVES APPLE????? I'm losing patience...I know its worth the wait...but what could possibly be holding them out this long???? This is becoming absurd already.....
</STRONG>
I bought through an Apple TeleSales rep. I had a $25 credit from buying OS X back in March, and the only way to get the credit was through telesales. Maybe orders placed through that route have priority over orders coming from the website?

mackaikai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2001, 12:12 PM

my order, W20808XX, is shipped.....finally

standard config TiBook 550
ordered on the 18th

<JonPBG4>
Nov 1, 2001, 01:07 PM

It looks like my order (550 standard config.) placed on 10/29 shipped from Taoyuan 11/1.

bhaggs
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2001, 01:46 PM

I just gave Apple a call and the woman wouldn't really tell me much. I asked what was causing the delays and she stated that there is a lot orders causing the delays.

I then asked when I could expect to receive it and she told me to wait another 10 business days! Obviously she has to say that but their phone support is just as ambiguous as their online order status. I bet she even called that page up, hahaha.

But seriously, what is the deal here.

Bryan Haggs

Danni
Nov 1, 2001, 11:30 PM

I am happy!!!!! Mine just shipped according to an email from Apple. They must have just sent it since the Fedex tracking number doesn't work online yet. I was starting to think that I wouldn't have this thing for another month or so ( I waited 3 months for my Wallstreet 1, but that is another story).

I am thrilled that it is en route, so I don't care if I have to wait a few more days...just knowing that it won't be another week for sure makes me very very happy! (Can you tell I am ecstatic???)

n_lim
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2001, 11:49 PM

Ordered a 550 with a BTO 30 Gig on the 16th through apple education. Cancelled my order when I saw the tax charged and ordered a 667 through clubmac on the 21st. Thank god I went with clubmac, my 667 shipped tonight and will be here on monday. I saved $100 and didn't pay tax and it seems that the BTO education purchases are taking longer. FYI powerbookcentral is reporting that many 3rd party retailers have 667's in stock. Might be a more expedient alternative to apple's delays.

WooHOOOooo Ti! I can finally be done with my PI 120!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

<Diomed>
Nov 2, 2001, 12:17 AM

My order from ClubMac.com just shipped ;-) 667/30GB ordered on 10/19.

<danzlatnik>
Nov 2, 2001, 01:58 AM

Is anyone else troubled by the fact that no one who ordered the CDRW has a powerbook en route? I believe this is true for all BTO orders but I am not sure. Has ANYONE who placed a bto order had theirs shipped?

Tsopranomb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2001, 02:19 AM

at 12:46 AM EST...got this email from apple, within seconds of the NY Yankees Winning game 5 of the world series:

SHIPPED....November 1.....edu...ordered on Oct 16th....

CPU PBG4/667/512-2/48G/DVD/AP/LL/LL

W2072535

I'm one happy Apple customer tonight.....its a miracle, first the yankees come back to win again, then i got the email notifying me of the shipment....LOL.....now gonna wait for Office X, which i got for $199 thru edu...cant wait to use that, especially powerpoint!

gsciorio
Nov 2, 2001, 04:14 AM

You're right danzlatnik, I too ordered and 667, 1g ram, 48g HD on the 19th and it's not shipped yet.

They are forging the Titanium just for us and shaping it the old fashoned way...by hammer and anvil!

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Let me know when you get a shiped email and I'll do the same.
Giulio

<boo to apple>
Nov 2, 2001, 05:39 AM

ggrrr.. I would bet lots of money that because I chose the CDRW option for my Powerbook, I have wait an additional amout of time. I'm not too big a fan of this, as it just seems like too long. I hate to bring it up here, but Dell has much better ship times.

*deep breath* Okay, I guess I'll just keep waiting.

Danni
Nov 2, 2001, 06:26 AM

danzlatnik, my order is a 667 mhz, 30 gig drive with the CD-RW. It shipped last night (Nov 1) according to the website and to an email. It shows up on the Fedex tracking page but doesn't tell me where it is... I am wondering if the Fedex tracking number is only for when it hits Canada? Oh well, at least it is one machine with a CD-RW that is en route. Hope this means good news for you in the near futre.

Danni
Web order # W20831xx

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: Danni ]

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: Danni ]

bhaggs
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2001, 11:04 AM

Wooohoooo my 550/30gig/dvd/ap just shipped last night.

I wonder when it will get here. It left Ca. this morning at 1 am. I wonder if it's a direct flight to the Boston area or it has stop overs.

Can't wait!

Dat Nguyen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2001, 11:18 AM

Arrived at FedEx Destination Location PORTLAND OR 11/02/2001 06:47 �
Left FedEx Ramp PORTLAND OR 11/02/2001 04:38 �
Arrived at FedEx Ramp OAKLAND CA 11/01/2001 00:23 �
Left FedEx Origin Location RANCHO CORDOVA CA 10/31/2001 21:45 �
Pickup status RANCHO CORDOVA CA 10/31/2001 16:49 �Pre-routed meter pkg picked up

I guess packages are not going to Memphis any more

<w9design2.0>
Nov 2, 2001, 12:34 PM

On FedEx vehicle for delivery TROY MI 11/02/2001 08:52
Arrived at FedEx Destination Location TROY MI 11/02/2001 07:25
Left FedEx Ramp ROMULUS MI 11/02/2001 06:18
Arrived at FedEx Ramp ROMULUS MI 11/02/2001 04:05
Left FedEx Sort Facility INDIANAPOLIS IN 11/01/2001 19:11
Held at Sort Facility INDIANAPOLIS IN 11/01/2001 16:05
Arrived at Sort Facility INDIANAPOLIS IN 11/01/2001 14:13
Left FedEx Sort Facility OAKLAND CA 11/01/2001 07:12
Left FedEx Sort Facility OAKLAND CA 11/01/2001 07:12
Arrived at FedEx Ramp OAKLAND CA 11/01/2001 00:23
Left FedEx Origin Location RANCHO CORDOVA CA 10/31/2001 21:45
Pickup status RANCHO CORDOVA CA 10/31/2001 16:49 Pre-routed meter pkg picked up

fulmer
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2001, 12:34 PM

mine shipped the 31st from CA and has now left Chattanooga, TN to come here. 2 day FedEx seems right on track.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2001, 02:08 PM

Shipping on the 667/30 GB just went to one day at the Apple Store!! The 667/48 GB is at 10 days though...

The 550 is at 10 days.

stefbystef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2001, 05:18 PM

I ordered my 667/20GB/DVD/Airport PowerBook, on 17 Oct from Apple Store Germany.

I called them 3 days ago, and they said that it should be here around the 15th of November.

I have a feeling that the number of purchases are ABOVE expectations. I'm happy for Apple, as I'm happy for myself . I know that I support a Company that delivers beautiful and fast products, to meet my demands.

Stefanos Bourtzios
(an apple a day, chases the doctor away) :)

<bradd>
Nov 2, 2001, 06:20 PM

Well, it's good news that at least one person has seen a Powerbook with a CDRW being shipped. If anyone else has news on their new TiBook with CDRW being shipped, please post it! I eagerly await my own shipping notice.

--bradd

mlaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2001, 07:34 PM

I finally got my TiBook this afternoon, and the machine itself is great. I have a problem with the memory I orders from OWC though :-(

As I feared, it is just slightly too large to fit in the bottom slot. In addition, it doesn't not play nice with the preinstalled RAM, so I can't
run in 512+256 until I replace the bad RAM. Oh well, I'll have to deal with OWC to get this straightened out Monday.

I noticed that with 512MB, OS X still pages out a bit, and I haven't even really started stressing the machine. I want ZERO page out activity for normal activities.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2001, 07:49 PM

I got mine today and am typing this now from my living room (yes, I'm at college, but in a lang house), courtesy of AirPort connected to a T1. This machine is great!

10.1 feels as zippy as 9.2. Wonderful.

<Filburt>
Nov 2, 2001, 09:26 PM

Outpost.com has shipped my 667 MHz yesterday. My order was placed on 10/17. With e.Card's 5% discount, the total shipped priced to CA is $2845.25.

<bradd>
Nov 3, 2001, 12:34 AM

Just to tell you all, I got a shipment notice from Apple regarding my Powerbook. It went from "being assembled" to "shipped" within a few hours. I expect to receive it by Wednesday of next week. I'll tell y'all when I get it.

667/48GB/512MB (2 DIMM)/CDRW/Airport

--bradd

<JonPBG4>
Nov 3, 2001, 01:13 AM

I know many are talking about BTO 667s, but I wanted to say that my 550 ordered on 10/29 arrived this morning via FedEx 2-day. :-)

<Clifford P.>
Nov 3, 2001, 11:08 AM

My 667/1g/48g/cd-rw W20731XX ordered on the 16th is still being assembled. At the Apple Store if you order this machine today you get a 10 business day delivery BUT if you order it with an additional battery (as I did) they quote 15 days delivery.

So my feeling is that the extra battery is the delay...might have been the fact that people are only accepting rev.B batteries.

Do you think that I if I cancel my order for the spare battery I will gain time or be taken back to square one?

Cliff

<bradd>
Nov 3, 2001, 07:11 PM

I wouldn't recommend re-ordering your system. I was considering doing the same for my Powerbook (667/48/512/CDRW/Airport/1 battery) because I too got the extended delay e-mail as well but it ended up shipping two days later. When I called Apple the last time before the book shipped, the rep said that the 'book was most likely fully assembled with the exception of one part (most likely the CDRW in my case), and that re-ordering it would only take longer, unless you went with a standard config machine, but even then it's iffy.

The only way to get a machine in a faster manner would be to cancel your order with the Apple Store and order from Outpost.com or another retailer that could gaurentee that they had Powerbooks in stock.

--bradd

<thepinoydotcom>
Nov 3, 2001, 09:53 PM

i waited for the Apple store here in NJ to open. I got my 667 TiBook this morning after waiting in line for more than an hour!

This TiBook rocks! No dead pixel. Got the Linksys wireless router working with the built in airport card in minutes. Still playing around with OS X, I emphasize 'playing' as non of my work apps is available for it.

Picture of the opening? right here http://homepage.mac.com/erniea

This is a great day!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2001, 06:07 PM

Uh-oh, no one's posted to this thread at all today, and it's already 4pm! We can't let it die! We mustn't lose the magic!!!!

On a more relevant note, my 667/512MB/48G/DVD, ordered on the 16th with an Education discount, will be here on Tuesday I can't believe it's been almost 20 days since I ordered it... Time flies when you're griping about shipping delays

Tsopranomb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2001, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
<STRONG>Uh-oh, no one's posted to this thread at all today, and it's already 4pm! We can't let it die! We mustn't lose the magic!!!!

On a more relevant note, my 667/512MB/48G/DVD, ordered on the 16th with an Education discount, will be here on Tuesday I can't believe it's been almost 20 days since I ordered it... Time flies when you're griping about shipping delays</STRONG>

Same exact config as mine, edu discount too....shipped thur nov 1, possible delivery by nov 8th!!! ahhhhhh...i cant friggin wait already...my beige g3/300 is on its last legs...haha....damn, i am such a schmuck, i should have ordered fed ex 2nd day instead of taking the free shipping....hmmm..what does it cost for the 2nd day fed ex??? i would have got it fri, or mon at the earliest...i hope i can wait a little longer...

i dabble in video making..and i ordered a FORMAC studio and 16/10/40 CDRW from Formac as well, they will compliment my system very nicely i think....I am so anxious, its driving me off the wall!!!!!! unfortunatly i will be at work all day thur the 8th, and this i promted fed ex to hold it for me so i can pick it up that night or early friday morning..depending on where it is...it says it left Sacramento on Thur Nov 1st! I will keep those interested posted....

I plan on checking out the NJ store ASAP, as i am only 30min away....cant wait to go there soon....

Forum Links
Forum Rules