Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Cosmetic Blemish IPhones: Worth It?

Cosmetic Blemish IPhones: Worth It?
mackandproud
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2011, 10:02 PM

These are showing up as upgrades for current subscribers.

I'm assuming the screen will be free from scratches, but that the sides and back are subject to various scratches and signs of wear. I've also heard that the camera lens may have dirt around among other such issues.

It's 40% off. Worthwhile? I would definitely spring for a refurb w/out cosmetic blemishes, but those aren't available now.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2011, 11:09 PM

Which model, and do you need a new contract?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2011, 12:45 AM

At this point I'd recommend against buying an iPhone because we're supposed to be close to the next revision. But we really would need more details about the model being offered and the price it's being offered at to give you an informed opinion.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2011, 03:29 AM

This would be for an iphone4 refurb cosmetic blemish. They are charging $180. It requires a new 2 year contract.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2011, 03:56 AM

If you can't wait, that's not a bad deal.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2011, 07:00 PM

I sat on my old phone and broke the screen--so I looked at that refurb as well. It did look like a good deal.

Since I wanted to wait for the next rev iPhone, I got an unlocked Nokia off amazon, just put the old regular-sized SIM in and was up and running immediately, no call to ATT needed.

The Nokia didn't have an iSync plugin, but with some searching online I found a utility to sync address book and iCal.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 16, 2011, 07:05 PM

My iPhone is 'cosmetically blemished', probably to an extreme though, I don't baby it - it's a 2 year old 3GS. Edit: when did the 3GS come out in the UK, 19th June 2009? I bought it on release day, it's over 2 years then. Still working fine.

Yes I can see scratches on the screen, the back isn't pretty, but when I'm using apps on the phone or making phone calls, none of these things matter and you only ever notice if you go looking for them.

I'd try to get a look at some of these phones, if it's a scratch or two on the back or side, take it.
( Last edited by seanc; Mar 16, 2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: ramble, ramble)

AccessoryGeeks
Banned
Mar 30, 2011, 02:03 PM

I would not get a phone with cosmetic blemish because appearance is a huge deal to me. If I was able to cover the blemish with a case, I might consider purchasing it. Otherwise, I would not even think of buying it.

It is cheaper, but you do get what you pay for. I would recommend a refurbished phone. I've bought multiple phones that were refurbished and I haven't had a single problem with them.

AccessoryGeeks
Banned
Apr 15, 2011, 11:35 AM

These "cosmetic blemish" iPhones are in great working condition. At&t has told me that they've fully inspected it and have done routine tests on them to make sure they are fully operational, without any faults.

I think that these phones are perfect for you if you don't mind a little scratch on the sides. However, you can always grab a case to cover those scratches up. Also, when you sell the phone in 2 years, you can probably flip it for about $100-$150 dollars if you keep it in good condition. In a sense, you are basically making back the money that you've spent to buy it in the first place (if you minus the depreciation.)

On the other hand, waiting for the iPhone 5 would not be a bad idea either. iPhone 5 is said to be out this summer, around June or July, hopefully. Personally, I would wait for the iPhone 5 because it would be selling at $200 w/ a two year contract. Pretty much the same price for a couple months of waiting.

dbjork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2011, 10:24 PM

If it is a cosmetic blemish iPhone4, then I think that's a good deal already if you don't really mind the minor scratches. After all, the performance will still be the same and that's what matters most. Otherwise, wait for the new iPhone 5 and just buy a brand new cheaper phones out there while you wait. But if you could get the refurb one w/o the cosmetic blemish, that will be an even better deal.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
At this point I'd recommend against buying an iPhone because we're supposed to be close to the next revision.
Depends on what you consider close.

There will be no new iPhones in June/July. Next revision is in Sept.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Depends on what you consider close.

There will be no new iPhones in June/July. Next revision is in Sept.
Say hi to Steve next time he calls you to tell you production schedules.

Latest RUMOR is that production ramps up in September, which means the revision may or may not be announced then.

Nobody knows shit at this point.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Say hi to Steve next time he calls you to tell you production schedules.

Latest RUMOR is that production ramps up in September, which means the revision may or may not be announced then.

Nobody knows shit at this point.
I'll let Steve know that you don't believe his rumors.

-t

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2011, 05:10 PM

No iPhone, iPad or Mac hardware coming at WWDC
Apple closed the door this morning on any speculation that it would announce new hardware at its Worldwide Developers conference saying it would focus on iOS and Mac OS.

Appleā€™s apparent focus on software in its WWDC announcement backs up what my own sources are saying about the annual conference. That is, expect a software show in 2011, not a hardware event.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules