Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Posting in the right forum

Posting in the right forum
Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2012, 04:27 AM

So, I'm wondering, does anyone other than the mods care about posting in the wrong forum? I mean, when you come onto the site do you visit any of the other forums? Specifically do you care if Apple related subjects are in the lounge? Does anyone actually read any of the other forums unless they specifically are intending to ask questions about this? And do you find you don't try and offer trouble shooting advice because if you go into those forums that's the only thing that's really being discussed?

I've stated it before, but I think one of the reasons why the NN forums are so bloody uninteresting these days is that you have to sift through several sub forums just to find a range of diversity of topics.

Lastly, does anyone else find the over moderation of these forums ... IE modded simply because you didn't follow strict categorization, a little irritating? I mean, one expects to be modded if you're misbehaving, but when you simply didn't try and find the right obscure subfolder to post something in (where no one else is going to bother going to look for it.) and you come back to find that you can't even find your post because somebody who needs OCD meds with mod powers moved it to siberia ... that's a little irritating.

Actually I'll go outright and say it, it's obnoxious. If people aren't making personal attacks on other members, they're not posting offensive material, and they're not posting something that's genuinely off topic for that forum (which is impossible in a forum that's describe as "we've been waiting for you") then you should not be moving their posts. It's rude, it's over reaching, and I think it's a sign of an attitude which has driven the most interesting people from this site, which ultimately costs the owners of this site money.

So congrats, whatever mod moved my post, YOU SUCK AT YOUR JOB!

(And now I expect some sort of ban, which is fine since apparently I can't even post in a manner on this forum that "just works.")

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2012, 04:34 AM

The irony is not lost on me. Jackasses.

OreoCookie
Apr 16, 2012, 04:39 AM

Just for the record, Salty, I was the one who moved your posts. I'm not sure what we have done to deserve your rant: you haven't received infractions, I haven't added a snarky post or sent you a pm.

You've been a member here long enough to know what sub forums we have and which one is most appropriate for a particular topic. There are categories for a reason and unless we decide to merge all of MacNN into one forum, one of the staff's duty is to move posts into the appropriate sub forum.

Quite frankly, I find it rude from a long-term member to continuously post in the Lounge instead of the proper forum. And I don't think it's rudeness towards the staff so much as rudeness towards other members and readers who look for advice or would like to give advice. Please create new threads in the proper sub forum. OS X topic belong to the OS X forum. Questions on peripherals belong in the Consumer Electronics & Peripherals section.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2012, 05:42 AM

Why do we HAVE so many sub forums? (This is rhetorical by asking it I'm prompting you not to respond with, "Because I like having a bajillion sub folders" but rather to realize that having this many sub forums is stupid.)

It would be one thing if most members were using a sort of Spotlight for the forum, where you'd just log in and see all the posts categorized but still in one long list where you could filter out the type of topics you don't want.

People post in the wrong forum, because they assume that the people who they'd be interested in talking with, probably aren't in those forums because nothing interesting is going on there.

Besides, me talking about buying an Apple monitor is not about consumer hardware, it's about the idea of buying a monitor and my individual needs. It has nothing to do with trouble shooting and everything to do with bragging. So it was in the correct forum.

I just dropped a grand on a monitor that I was excited about, and I wanted to hopefully hear a few congrats or, even a few accusations that I'd over paid. Now I'm going to see comments from people who probably have no idea who I am.

So congrats, you moved my post to the wrong forum.

OreoCookie
Apr 16, 2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Why do we HAVE so many sub forums? (This is rhetorical by asking it I'm prompting you not to respond with, "Because I like having a bajillion sub folders" but rather to realize that having this many sub forums is stupid.)
Merging forums cannot be undone, so we are reluctant to do it. For sure we would not merge the Lounge which is reserved for non-technical topics and other topics which do not fit in any of the hardware and software forums.
People post in the wrong forum, because they assume that the people who they'd be interested in talking with, probably aren't in those forums because nothing interesting is going on there.
There is a difference between accidentally posting in the wrong forum and purposely posting in the wrong forum, because the OP feels there is too little traffic in the appropriate forum. While the staff does not have a problem with the former (it's part of our jobs), we do get annoyed by the latter. So please stop purposely starting threads in the wrong forum.
Besides, me talking about buying an Apple monitor is not about consumer hardware, it's about the idea of buying a monitor and my individual needs. It has nothing to do with trouble shooting and everything to do with bragging. So it was in the correct forum.
The determination what is and isn't in the proper forum is up to the staff (in this case me). Wanting more high fives from other members is not a valid reason to move a thread into an inappropriate sub forum. If you are unhappy with my decision, feel free to take it up with an admin.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

andi*pandi
Apr 16, 2012, 09:59 AM

If everyone put all their posts into the lounge it would be that much harder to find the cat pictures.

Seriously, it's a chicken and egg scenario, people don't put their posts in the other subforums because they perceive there's no traffic, thus the other subforums have fewer posts and less traffic.

It's possible to have meaningful discussion in other subforums.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2012, 10:39 AM

I no longer even notice which forum threads are posted to. I browse the 'NN forums using the "quick links --> today's posts" link.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I no longer even notice which forum threads are posted to. I browse the 'NN forums using the "quick links --> today's posts" link.
Exactly. My Safari bookmark goes to "new posts," which keeps me up to date just fine.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2012, 11:50 AM

first thing I click when I come here is New Posts. that's the only way I browse

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2012, 10:01 PM

It's funny because another poster in that very thread just asked why the heck I posted it in the consumer electronics forum since people post in there for trouble shooting.

My problem isn't that I can't post about which guys have hot asses in the OS X forum. My problem is that something like hey guys I got a new monitor which happens to be an Apple one and I'm excited, got moved to Siberia simply because somebody disagreed with me on how better to file it. The problem is that the things people have to say belong to them. If they're offensive or unkind that's one thing, if they're them being happy, there's no way to do it without seeming like that bitchy old aunt who got mad at you when you were a kid for having your elbows on the table.

I try and be supportive of mods online because they often don't have an easy job. But in this case you're making your job harder by trying to corral cats, when really your job if you're smart should just be making sure the cats don't eat each other. Otherwise you drive away all your A Players and are only left with submissive boring B Players.

Also, I'm sorry if me posting "in the wrong forum." But I'm not sorry for my actions. I'm sorry in the same way that I'm sorry when other people with OCD flip out over life being slightly messy.

My complaint is that this forum used to be awesome. Now it's useful but it's not awesome. And I think that this sort of helicopter modding is a major contributor to the lack of awesome.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2012, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Ditto. If you killed all subforums, it'd probably take months for me to notice.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2012, 03:50 AM

I try and be supportive of mods online because they often don't have an easy job. But in this case you're making your job harder by trying to corral cats, when really your job if you're smart should just be making sure the cats don't eat each other. Otherwise you drive away all your A Players and are only left with submissive boring B Players.
We've watched Salty admit he's gay.

Now, we get to watch him admit he's Ca$h.

nostalgiaCa$h
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2012, 11:52 AM

He can get in line.
anyone who wants to be me, can be me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2012, 12:05 PM

So can you.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules