Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Multi-Partitoned CDs?

Multi-Partitoned CDs?
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2003, 07:06 PM

I want to burn a CD with three partitions:

The first, HFS+, to only show up in Mac OS X, not Windows or Mac OS 9 (if it shows up in OS 9 that doesn't really matter, but it mustn't appear in Windows)

The second, FAT32 or FAT16, to only appear in Windows, not in Mac OS X or 9.

The third, Audio CD(?) format, to be played in a regular CD player and to appear in all operating systems.

All of this to go on an 8cm CD.

Is this possible to do in Apple's Disk Copy? Or must I use some other app?
( Last edited by megasad; May 14, 2003 at 07:59 PM. )
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by megasad:
I want to burn a CD with three partitions:

The first, HFS+, to only show up in Mac OS X, not Windows or Mac OS 9 (if it shows up in OS 9 that doesn't really matter, but it mustn't appear in Windows)

The second, FAT32 or FAT16, to only appear in Windows, not in Mac OS X or 9.

The third, Audio CD(?) format, to be played in a regular CD player and to appear in all operating systems.

All of this to go on an 8cm CD.

Is this possible to do in Apple's Disk Copy? Or must I use some other app?
I have used a windows utility for this - Trying to remember the name. got it: CDEverywhere. Used it often - and it works well.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by teszeract:
I have used a windows utility for this - Trying to remember the name. got it: CDEverywhere. Used it often - and it works well.
If I make the Mac partition in Mac OS X and save it as a disk image, then change the extension to .iso, will that allow me to burn it using this app? The windows and audio partiton I can make on the Windows PC itself, obviously.

However, I don't have ready access to a CD burning PC. If I do use this app it will have to be on a friend's machine. Does anyone know of a Mac OS X equivalent?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

prokrast
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 08:36 PM

Well, using Toast you can definitely make a hybrid CD for mac and pc. As for the audio, I don't really know, you'll have to look into Toast documentation.

-prokrast

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2003, 08:38 PM

I have been looking for a program to do something similar. I think toast can do
it (correct me please) but the will cost
$$$. Free ware alternatives will require
abit of hunting for tools that are available on other OSes and are being ported to OS X (mainly open source sw).

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 14, 2003, 09:14 PM

just a note, I would say try making the mac and pc partitions and then just add the audio files as .aiff and try playing the cd. I know many computer games are hybrid games and I have put them in my old diskman and most of them work.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2003, 08:49 AM

Okay, I've downloaded the trial run of CDEveryWhere, but it doesn't do HFS+, only HFS for Macs. Will this be a problem if I format the look of the windows (background image etc.) in OS X? Since the only Mac version is for OS 9, I'm running it in Classic, and I can't see any way to preserve said formatting using this app.

So, what I'm currently thinking of doing...

1 - Make the Windows only ISO using CDEveryWhere (so that it doesn't show up on a Mac). Burn to disk, less than 10MB on 8cm CD-R.

2 - Add audio track (to be played in any CD player) using iTunes. Will show up in all operating systems. About 120MB.

3 - Make disk image of HFS+ partition (formatted how I want), burn on to CD-R.

The Windows only partition will only show up in Windows, and HFS+ won't appear in Windows anyway, so I can get away using that...

Will this plan work?

EDIT - I just tried to make a Windows only ISO in CDEveryWhere, but was able to mount it using Disk Copy in OS X. Does this mean it is impossible to make a partition on the CD that only shows up in Windows? Or will this work, but only when burnt onto an actual CD?
( Last edited by megasad; May 17, 2003 at 08:56 AM. )

JeremyA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2003, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by megasad:
Does this mean it is impossible to make a partition on the CD that only shows up in Windows? Or will this work, but only when burnt onto an actual CD?
I haven't tried it but it looks like Toast can do this. Here is what it says in Toast's help files:

'Custom Hybrid Format
The Custom Hybrid format combines both ISO 9660 and Mac OS Standard (HFS) or Mac OS extended (HFS+) format on a single CD. Use this format to record CDs that can be read on a Macintosh computer and on a PC, with the Macintosh computer data visible only to Macintosh users and the ISO data visible only to other users. This allows Macintosh computer users to see the normal icons and window positions for the data, while maintaining complete compatibility with DOS/Windows systems (and others).

Recording a CD in Custom Hybrid Format

A Custom Hybrid CD uses two data sources: a Macintosh volume and a group of files/folders you select as the ISO data.
Two volumes are mounted on the desktop: one for the Macintosh part and one for the ISO part.'

Jeremy

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 17, 2003, 11:08 AM

burn the audio first as a session and then burn the custom hybrid format session.

-r.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2003, 04:00 PM

A friend has given me a copy of Toast Titanium 5.2.1 to try out and it seems like it will do exactly what I need, as several people on here have already suggested. Thanks for the advice on how to use it (audio session first, then custom hybrid etc.).

Forum Links
Forum Rules