Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > clickless mouse

clickless mouse
chirpy22
Oct 10, 2010, 03:31 AM

Does anyone know if some company makes a mouse that doesn't make the click noise when you click it?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2010, 07:30 AM

Apple? You sound like you're describing the Magic Mouse.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2010, 07:33 AM

No, he's not.

The Magic Mouse clicks.

I think he's describing something that has a nondescript, gummy pressdown feeling when "clicked".

I think the best bet is a Magic Trackpad with tap-click enabled, so you don't actually need to click it.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 10, 2010, 09:10 AM

The click is part of the feedback system that tells the user he's actually done something. A silent mouse would be less effective for a lot of users-how far down and how hard do you press to get a "click?" (The verb/noun for the action/effect of mouse button selection even implies that there's an auditory/tactile feedback involved in the process.)

A mouse with a distinct tactile response but no audible response is certainly possible, but I don't see much of a market for it. Libraries? The public library here (all the branches that I've been to, as well) uses standard, cheap, (and kind of noisy) mice without any real issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2010, 12:28 PM

While that's true, it also applies to tap-click to a certain extent, and that exists - which is why I wouldn't discount the possibility that such a mouse exists.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2010, 03:01 PM

With MagicPrefs you can set a click action as a touch on a Magic Mouse - MagicPrefs

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

chirpy22  (op)
Oct 12, 2010, 10:12 PM

I was trying to find a clickless mouse because after 25 years of using mice, I have gotten annoyed by the sound. I wouldn't think it would be all that difficult to make a mouse that has a feeling of a click when you press down without the audio feedback. There are keyboards that don't "click" when you press a key down, so why can't there be a mouse?
I realized at work the other day just how annoying the clicking noise is. When you are actually listening for it, in a wide open office, you can literally hear everyone's mouse clicking, constantly, all day long. So I tend to keep my earphones in all day long.
Maybe I will invent one?

chirpy22  (op)
Oct 12, 2010, 10:33 PM

rubberwheels
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2010, 02:47 PM

With the magic mouse, you can download Better Touch Tool! Which makes the mouse virtually clickless! You just have to change the settings.

Forum Links
Forum Rules